Donation Points system now live for mod authors on Nexus Mods

Dark0ne

Interesting development. Unfortunately for me, I'm unlikely benefit in the slightest from this due to only creating mods for a single game that is several years old and no longer all that popular (Dying Light).

However, I do have a question:

If I understand properly, a 'Unique Download' is only a download by a registered and logged-in Nexus account, and downloads by unregistered or not-logged-in users do not contribute to this 'Unique Download' counter.

I think I recall coming across a single comment in a single discussion some years ago about how to make your file only able to be downloaded by a registered and logged-in Nexus users. I think it was somehow tied to bloating your download file (including images and whatnot) to be larger than 2MB in size, which would then trigger it to require a registered account to download.

Is this still a valid way to restrict downloading to only registered accounts?

Was this ever a valid way to restrict downloading to only registered accounts?

It seems to me that this should actually be an option on author's mods - whether or not to limit it to only being downloadable by registered users - and not something that is only able to be activated by a less-than-ideal trick of bloating the file to then fall into this undocumented 'Registration Required' area (if it is even 'a thing'), especially with the implementation of this DP system that relies on 'Unique Downloads' (which I am to understand is only downloads made by individual registered accounts).

I imagine many mod authors would like to make their mods only downloadable by registered users so that all downloads would apply toward the 'Unique Downloads' count.

I would really like to better understand the nature of what constitutes a 'Unique Download' and, if it is essentially 'Registered Accounts', then how to enforce my mods to only be able to be downloaded by registered and valid/verified accounts. If allowing unregistered/not-logged-in users to download mods prevents their download from counting toward the 'Unique Download' counter, we should be able to limit the mod to only be downloadable by registered users.

I may be repeating myself with slightly re-worded sentences, but I'm primarily looking for clarity on this and whether or not requiring a registered account to download is possible (or can be added as an option without bloating the download file with mod images).

Didn't Dark One's OP state that all downloads would now be restricted to users who are logged in?

Edited by Vanguardascendant

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting development. Unfortunately for me, I'm unlikely benefit in the slightest from this due to only creating mods for a single game that is several years old and no longer all that popular (Dying Light).

However, I do have a question:

If I understand properly, a 'Unique Download' is only a download by a registered and logged-in Nexus account, and downloads by unregistered or not-logged-in users do not contribute to this 'Unique Download' counter.

I think I recall coming across a single comment in a single discussion some years ago about how to make your file only able to be downloaded by a registered and logged-in Nexus users. I think it was somehow tied to bloating your download file (including images and whatnot) to be larger than 2MB in size, which would then trigger it to require a registered account to download.

Is this still a valid way to restrict downloading to only registered accounts?

Was this ever a valid way to restrict downloading to only registered accounts?

It seems to me that this should actually be an option on author's mods - whether or not to limit it to only being downloadable by registered users - and not something that is only able to be activated by a less-than-ideal trick of bloating the file to then fall into this undocumented 'Registration Required' area (if it is even 'a thing'), especially with the implementation of this DP system that relies on 'Unique Downloads' (which I am to understand is only downloads made by individual registered accounts).

I imagine many mod authors would like to make their mods only downloadable by registered users so that all downloads would apply toward the 'Unique Downloads' count.

I would really like to better understand the nature of what constitutes a 'Unique Download' and, if it is essentially 'Registered Accounts', then how to enforce my mods to only be able to be downloaded by registered and valid/verified accounts. If allowing unregistered/not-logged-in users to download mods prevents their download from counting toward the 'Unique Download' counter, we should be able to limit the mod to only be downloadable by registered users.

I may be repeating myself with slightly re-worded sentences, but I'm primarily looking for clarity on this and whether or not requiring a registered account to download is possible (or can be added as an option without bloating the download file with mod images).

Didn't Dark One's OP state that all downloads would now be restricted to users who are logged in?

Ah.Thank you for informing me of my oversight.

I read the update notice page, FAQ and documentation pages and then this thread prior to opting in all of my mods. I somehow missed reading the entire last paragraph of the news post that addressed all aspects of this topic that I posted about.

I do not believe I have any questions or concerns remaining now.

Thank you.

Because our Donation Points system makes extensive use of the "Unique Downloads" stats, we have had to make a tough choice and remove our "guest downloading" system entirely from the site. For those not aware, up until this point we allowed non-members and users who are not logged in to download files that were less than 2MB in size. Unfortunately, with the prevalence of proxies, VPNs and services like TOR it has become impossible to accurately track unique downloads from these users and it opens up an avenue for abuse in our Donation Point system. As such, we had to choose between those downloads not counting in our Donation Point system or removing the guest download system entirely. We felt not counting these downloads would significantly impact some of the smaller mods out there (of which very popular mods, like SkyUI, are a part) and thus, we've decided to make it so that you need to be logged in to Nexus Mods in order to download all files on the site now. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

In response to post #60311576. #60314261, #60315341, #60315776 are all replies on the same post.

Treacleman wrote: So if 1000 users download my mod in May, and then the same 1000 users download an update for my mod in June, does that count as 1000 unique downloads in each month? Or is that 1000 in may and then 0 in June as everyone who downloaded in June had already downloaded the mod before?
Dark0ne wrote: Check the bottom question on our FAQ page (https://www.nexusmods.com/modrewards#/faq).
Treacleman wrote: No, I read that and understand it - I suppose what I'm asking is does that unique download count reset every month? So if the same person downloads my mod every month, does he contribute 1 unique download per month, or is he only counted once, in the first month?
Dark0ne wrote: Only once.

On this point, compare;
a mod that has five variations in the form of separate files
with
a configurable mod that give an option of the same five variations in a menu in just ONE downloadable file.

Would the person who gets users to download five different files get more unique downloads than someone who gives the single configurable file?

Mod authors who convert a lot of mods like one guy who ported 100+ follower mods to special edition are not working as hard to earn money. Some people will point that out over and over and like a dog never let go their teeth because we are stubborn. I just want to tell you that this is a very dangerous step like opening pandora's box. My intuition tells me this is dangerous, just wanted to let you know. If money gets into the modding community it will create a lot of tension in my opinion. The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us. It's controversial as well. The concept is good but it's unnatural. Donations are good enough in my opinion and it makes it even more special when someone gives his own money to you by kindness. I love the modding community and I fear making this service anything other than altruism would break the magic, the secret sauce. What about meme mods, fake mods, personal saves? I sense upcoming spam.

In response to post #60319021.

Corsafire1 wrote: Mod authors who convert a lot of mods like one guy who ported 100+ follower mods to special edition are not working as hard to earn money. Some people will point that out over and over and like a dog never let go their teeth because we are stubborn. I just want to tell you that this is a very dangerous step like opening pandora's box. My intuition tells me this is dangerous, just wanted to let you know. If money gets into the modding community it will create a lot of tension in my opinion. The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us. It's controversial as well. The concept is good but it's unnatural. Donations are good enough in my opinion and it makes it even more special when someone gives his own money to you by kindness. I love the modding community and I fear making this service anything other than altruism would break the magic, the secret sauce. What about meme mods, fake mods, personal saves? I sense upcoming spam.

I agree. As much as I love this website, and it's associated community, I fear this will only lead to an increase in low-effort garbage (and there is plenty of that already), rather than encouraging the creation of quality content.
I get rewarding the mod-makers; after all they are the bread and butter of this site, but I believe monetary rewards is the wrong way to go about it.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. Edited by saurusmaximus

In response to post #60319021. #60320551 is also a reply to the same post.

Corsafire1 wrote: Mod authors who convert a lot of mods like one guy who ported 100+ follower mods to special edition are not working as hard to earn money. Some people will point that out over and over and like a dog never let go their teeth because we are stubborn. I just want to tell you that this is a very dangerous step like opening pandora's box. My intuition tells me this is dangerous, just wanted to let you know. If money gets into the modding community it will create a lot of tension in my opinion. The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us. It's controversial as well. The concept is good but it's unnatural. Donations are good enough in my opinion and it makes it even more special when someone gives his own money to you by kindness. I love the modding community and I fear making this service anything other than altruism would break the magic, the secret sauce. What about meme mods, fake mods, personal saves? I sense upcoming spam.
saurusmaximus wrote: I agree. As much as I love this website, and it's associated community, I fear this will only lead to an increase in low-effort garbage (and there is plenty of that already), rather than encouraging the creation of quality content.
I get rewarding the mod-makers; after all they are the bread and butter of this site, but I believe monetary rewards is the wrong way to go about it.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

You both have looked over the conversion rates, points to money, right?
...I feel like maybe not... Edited by BlahBlahDEEBlahBlah

In response to post #60319021. #60320551, #60321006, #60321416 are all replies on the same post.

saurusmaximus wrote: I agree. As much as I love this website, and it's associated community, I fear this will only lead to an increase in low-effort garbage (and there is plenty of that already), rather than encouraging the creation of quality content.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
BlahBlahDEEBlahBlah wrote: You both have looked over the conversion rates, points to money, right?
...I feel like maybe not...
endgameaddiction wrote: "The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us."

Hate to break it to you but Beth modding has been tainted for a long time now. It's way too deep in the rabbit hole and there is no saving it.

I've ported a few mods; I refuse to add them to the Donation System as it seems to be a very scummy thing to do. However, mods I made myself I will add to the new system. Of course, I don't expect to make much, that's why I work for a living. Edited by UWShocks

In response to post #60319021. #60320551, #60321006, #60321391 are all replies on the same post.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
BlahBlahDEEBlahBlah wrote: You both have looked over the conversion rates, points to money, right?
...I feel like maybe not...
UWShocks wrote: I've ported a few mods; I refuse to add them to the Donation System as it seems to be a very scummy thing to do. However, mods I made myself I will add to the new system

"The act of charity will be merged with selfish intentions and this uncertainty might separate us."

Hate to break it to you but Beth modding has been tainted for a long time now. It's way too deep in the rabbit hole and there is no saving it.