Vault 76, What will make you give it a chance?

Mavkiel

Ok, I know its very easy to go negative on vault 76. Lets try and find the bare minimum of features needed for us to try it.

- Private servers (Yes, they promised it, but until they put it in darned if I will purchase the game)

- More information on how pvp is handled. I don't want to deal with griefers.

- Is there text chat? If they are making folks use mic's its a huge turn off for me. I don't want to listen to folks brag about their wang size, or listen to folks with accents impossible to understand. (Basically asking for standard mmo chat controls)

- Information about how modifiable the game is. I don't want to be forced into using their marketplace.

Those are my main issues, I can deal with the lack of npcs, provided they actually follow through with decent holo-tape quests. A far smaller concern is also naming conventions. I really don't want to see lots of Preston Garvey's in my game. That garbage gives my immersion a good defenestration .

Well as it has been explained, the "private" in "server" is really a misnomer. There will be no private instances of the map like in GTAO. Where you can log into a private server session and be the only player on the map (until you log out or chose to join a public lobby) .

Per the No Clip F76 doc, "private" = "solo" which is != "single player". So in F76 you won't be able to "turn other players off". The best you can do is toggle on a no harassment filter which lets you play free of PvP encounters/harrassment. But you will STILL be able to see other players like yourself in your game world.

Also from the way Howard has described this feature, it sounds a lot like your PC will STILL be able to die even though they refuse to engage the aggressive PvP player. And sounds like that PvP player won't be able to further interact with you as their account may be flagged and/or they're forcibly respawned into a PvP server instance of like minded players.

Other than the no death penalty to stats/inventory/progress and safely re-spawn in the vicinity feature, BGS has been otherwise super squirrely elusive on the details of that to date. Soooo..... all still clear as mud and TBD

OT: I'm on standby for Oxhorn's live stream of F76 at game release. The fact that BGS DELIBERATELY chose to court console gamers by entertaining XBX1 exclusivity release policy ---when they could've been more fair to PC gamers they way they were at FO4 release---really rubbed me raw. If any of the toxicity I've become accustomed to seeing in the likes of GTAO or CoD come to fruition, F04 & Skyrim may well be the last BGS franchise games I'll ever buy.

Edited by AlarictheVisgoth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep waffling between wanting to try it and not. The more they try to defend the new quest system though the less inclined to try it I am.

Sure some of the environmental quests in fallout 4 were neat, but they all were similar. Find holotape, hear sob story, find everyone dead. Not sure you can base an actual game around that.

I feel more of a need to constantly monetize my kids and grandkids than Bethesda. That Is why I would like to see mod authors (especially quest and advance companion authors) help extend the shelf life of Fallout 4 with new mods.

Seems we are in for the long haul before another worthwhile single-player game.

Ok, I know its very easy to go negative on vault 76. Lets try and find the bare minimum of features needed for us to try it.

- Is there text chat? If they are making folks use mic's its a huge turn off for me. I don't want to listen to folks brag about their wang size, or listen to folks with accents impossible to understand. (Basically asking for standard mmo chat controls)

Remember that time Bethesda made a modding site and forgot the search bar? I'm sure they'll include all the basics this time though.

Edited by RS13

Oh god I forgot about that, search bar issue. Thanks for reminding me of that horror. To be fair, I avoided their modding site like the plague. Still miffed that they closed down their old forums for the newer abomination.

Right now, if fallout 76 released, I doubt I'd buy it. More tempted to try various other games.

Battletech (Yeah, I loath one of the devs, but supposedly its a solid game)

vampyr

pillars of eternity 2 (First one I thought the story was neat, but I hated the combat)

various warhammer 2 dlc (Frankly playing as a squig herder sounds like more fun then being dependent on randoms on a server)

To try and keep the spirit of optimism for 76 alive or at least on life support for me.. I will say that the graphics do look nice, monsters/weapons etc. It'd be interesting to see what sort of dlc they eventually make for the game. Best case for me, is some sort of shared city, and them eventually adding in single player or group by invite only areas. For those familiar with it, think of strongholds in star wars the old republic.

Playing Fallout 4, I've found the AI and damage models such that combat is utterly boring minus the first few days out of the Vault. Honestly, combat in Fallout 4 is a crushing disappointment. The only part of the game I've enjoyed has been the settlement building, and that is as underdeveloped as the combat system. And AI.

I'd be interested in Fallout 76 if the combat was better, more immersive and intense. Then again, if there is no way to avoid griefers, no way to avoid randos, I'm not going to be interested no matter what.

That said, without the settlement building aspect, what is it? Another boring game of running around and shooting lame monsters? I've got a Steam library already full of that crap.

One last thing, the game is looking exactly like Fallout 4 with a couple extra shader effects thrown in, and Fallout 4 is dated as hell. Why should I be interested, when I'm likely not even half way through Fallout 4?

Playing Fallout 4, I've found the AI and damage models such that combat is utterly boring minus the first few days out of the Vault.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. As much as the gunplay mechanics improved, by mid-to-late game the healthscaling ruined the combat. Now, this was easily fixable with mods, but without mods, I honestly prefer Fallout 3's combat system. You would hope they'd realize how terrible the health-scaling was, but in the game footage, the enemies seem really bullet spongey.

That sort of reminds me, I hated survival setup in fallout 4. Mainly in regards to how often the prompts to eat/drink/sleep came up... which if they pulled the same sort of setup in 76 I'd have another hard pass on the game.