Somehow I am not surprised

HellsMaster

D3 wasn't even great anyway, it's just a updated version of D2.

Actually more of a downgraded version of D2. It's like they looked around at all the features that give the game longevity (character builds) and decided they didn't want any part of that. What's the sense in making multiple characters of the same class now? None. How many hours in D2 were literally spent just trying to limp along with limited skills so that later on you could have a godly build? How many times did people start and restart characters just to find skill and stat builds that made them better, loving every minute of their grind? You remove that complexity, you pretty much kill all replay value. One play-through with a class is no different than another play-through with that class outside of equipment, which also isn't very diverse.

Even Torchlight recognized that class specialization was an integral part of the life of the game.

Actually more of a downgraded version of D2. It's like they looked around at all the features that give the game longevity (character builds) and decided they didn't want any part of that. What's the sense in making multiple characters of the same class now? None. How many hours in D2 were literally spent just trying to limp along with limited skills so that later on you could have a godly build? How many times did people start and restart characters just to find skill and stat builds that made them better, loving every minute of their grind? You remove that complexity, you pretty much kill all replay value. One play-through with a class is no different than another play-through with that class outside of equipment, which also isn't very diverse.

Even Torchlight recognized that class specialization was an integral part of the life of the game.

When I bought Torchlight it was just to tide me over 'till Diablo, now it feels like a little hero of a game. A lot of Torchlight is experimenting, you start by throwing around some SP, your first character will be a total pig's ear. But then you make a second, and you learn, and you get better. Then you make a third, and your build start to become a little godlier. And godlier. And godlier. And you could do almost anything too, I'd been told the Vanquisher(DH analogue) was pure-ranged only, so my response was a pure-melee Vanq. And it worked...

...beautifully. Much as Torchlight did. It wasn't revolutionary or an AAA game, but it was FUN. Lots of fun. From the beautiful jewel-like colur pallet the the surprisingly diverse and deep character customisation, I REALLY got my $18 worth. Diablo... can't even beat Torchlight, it feels so shallow by comparison, it's flat, monochrome graphics feel dull and lifeless. If anything it has a similar feel to Duke Nukem Forever. An old legend, crawling out of the pages of history only to prove to us why the past sometimes should be left in the past. Six years of developement wasted, for what? even if you can get online, what's there to do? it's got no depth or breadth, but worst of all, it's got no soul, no character. It's a failure in almost every way, but this is I think it's worst flaw.

Exactly! :dance: I don't know many times I've re made my lightning or orb sorc anymore lol. I finally got my orb sorc to do almost 1k damage with Frozen Orb by the time I gathered up all my gear from trading and finding items. Last patch somewhat ruined re-making a character though, they made the repsec tokens. I guess that was a good idea, but you can get your character to level 75 in a few hours if you know how to grush.

Sheesh, I remember my friend's barb. Took many experiments, but he finally found the perfect build. Crazy barb had 6k life :woot: He was insane. Plus he had him built that damn near nothing could hit him. That barb and this smiter build we made could own ubers in a matter of minutes.

Too bad that both ladder and non ladder servers are so flooded with bots that it's hard to even find a real game anymore. Last time my boyfriend and I played we were on hardcore ladder because there was barely any bots :P If you go on the regular servers, your game is instantly filled with bots. The entire time you're playing you gotta spam the N key :( I wish Blizzard would do something about that really, a lot of people still play.

I wish Blizzard would do something about that really, a lot of people still play.

Not making them money, so they don't care. The entire reason for the RMT AH was so that they would constantly get some money from each trade made, in one form or another. I wouldn't be surprised if they started converting servers from D2 to D3 and slowly phasing out old Bnet passively by making it nearly impossible for non-bots to even log in due to fewer servers.

But yep, death of a franchise. They'll probably just blame piracy instead of owning up on their own failures though.

its such a shame really. they did such an awesome job with Starcraft 2 and living up to that. the campaign was amazing. the game is amazing. they continuously balance and support it in god ways. it was everything SC/BW was and then more.

idk it just doesnt feel like Diablo to me. (rather look, since i havent played it yet) it honestly looks like a reskinned Torchlight, which im aware was based on Diablo (actually Devs from Diablo were on the Torchlight team) but this feels more like Torchlight then it does Diablo. it feels like an indie game doing their best to make a Diablo type game. put best, Diablo 3 is to Diablo (2) what Dragon Age 2 is to DAO. the same series and Devs, but drastically different and dumbed down games imo.

Edited by hoofhearted4

I am a Diablo fan going back to the original but I did't buy Diablo 3 because of the always online play requirement. I played the prequels as single player mostly and prefered the reliability of LAN and ad hoc connections for multiplayer to battlenet.

Also, like pretty much anyone who comes to this site, I like having the option to mod games. Always online tends to mean no mods ever. The auction house in D3 guarantees it.

Now I am left wondering, did they put the auction house in as an excuse to add DRM or did they add the DRM because they seriously believed that it would become a huge cash cow? I'd be inclined to think the latter if not for the fact that the auction house isn't working yet apparently. Then again, a lot about the game isn't working.

I don't buy the argument that it was done to solve the problems of cheaters and item duplication though. Cheaters in single and even multiplayer games aren't exactly a massive concern for most games and punkbuster was invented for a reason.

Edited by justwannaddl

Ubisoft patches Assassins Creed on an amazing level. AC is the second best series ever (TES right above). Last I checked, Bethesda released worthless patches.

Sorry bud but nope.

AC isn't the best series, it's a fantasy version of call of duty.

Assassins creed 1 was okay-ish. ACII was epic. AC: brotherhood was boring and not new. AC: Revelations: see brotherhood.

Well, at least with Skyrim, bethesda is actually adding some stuff :)

And Piracy should never be used an excuse to make sp game online. Just like skyrim in fact. Having to have online to play it is total *censored* but steam must have payed big bucks for beth to suck up to them.

Actually more to do with money, this introduced this entire system because they expect D3 to attract their wow players, and as D3 is a pay once game they needed a way to get constant revenue, so they introduced the new auction house so they can get their cut of the item farming and trades :P so more than anything, its greed. Edited by tredmillion