For those that still don't get what's actually being discussed:

I've taken some films with Sean Bean in them (Black Death, some 007, et cetera) and extracted some words and phrases and in many cases individual consonants and vowels. Then I have reconstructed them into new sentences that fit in with The Elder Scrolls lore to enhance the character Sean Bean voice acted in Oblivion: Martin. These consist of snippets of audio extracted from the films of around .5 to 2 seconds in length.

So under Fair Use law I have:

1) Taken hardly anything of the original

2) Removed it from its original context (visual film) which creates a new context for the audio

3) Transformed it which falls under Transformative Use, Critical Commentary (falling under the use of Sean Bean's voice) and Parody within the guidelines of Fair Use law

This thread has helped me to figure out my position very well; thank you!

I'll go ahead and complete my work, and if asked to take it down from the Nexus site it will be taken down. But as for myself I don't need to worry about it anymore! :thumbsup: There are always plenty of other avenues to put up work if one or another site objects out of legal fears, however unfounded.

I can guarantee your mod will be removed and your account banned if you post it.

As you've described it, this is not a "parody" of the orginal work. But even if it were, the rule on the Nexus is not "Does your use of copyrighted material fall under the US 'Fair Use' exemption for using copyrighted material without permission?"

The Rule on the Nexus is clearly stated in the Terms of Service:

Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws (such as Russia).

All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. If you cannot provide proof of consent when asked then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

The Nexus is not "The Public Square". There is no right of free (protected) speech. The Nexus is a private space, and the Site Owner sets the rules.

Hope that's clear now. :armscrossed:

I can guarantee your mod will be removed and your account banned if you post it.

I'll forgive you for power tripping because you don't make the rules but just enforce them on someone else's whim of your own free time. Feel free to make the text larger if that makes you feel more authoritative.

:armscrossed:

Lol.

But by all means I'll keep what everyone has said in mind.

As for this discussion it's become completely derailed. It wasn't about the Nexus at all but about my own work and what it means for me by creating it. Go ahead and lock it.

Edited by jamochawoke

"Power tripping"??

I'll forgive you for power tripping because you don't make the rules but just enforce them on someone else's whim of your own free time. Feel free to make the text larger if that makes you feel more authoritative.

Accusing a moderator informing you of what you've already been informed of by at least two other members of staff of "power tripping" is an instant ban offense around here, bud.

This style of text is the site owner's Auto "Moderator Edit" style. And you just violated our Terms of Service regarding how you treat Robin's Staff.

This may be an unmoderated zone but we wouldn't allow that by PM system either, another unmoderated zone.

:armscrossed:

Lol.

But by all means I'll keep what everyone has said in mind.

As for this discussion it's become completely derailed. It wasn't about the Nexus at all but about my own work and what it means for me by creating it. Go ahead and lock it.

You can do whatever work you wish to do for your own game. We really do not care. It's if and when you wish to share it..especially here that we take note. If you think we are having a bit of a power trip..don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. The rules are the rules here and we follow the law AND what things are best for this site and community, You do not like it...*points at the door nob* Also since its your thread and you asked for it to be locked...locking it.~Lisnpuppy