An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Ripe fruit may be a bit complex to deal with for just general exploration.

I pick plant parts at random whenever I find the plant.

It might be frustrating to come across a plant out in the middle of nowhere and then have to come back in X days because the fruit isn't ripe.

So, I'd say seperate mod.

Here's what I've done with Gordon so far:

Gordon.esp

Just don't expect too much, all he does is stand there, you can't even talk to him.

I'm still trying to work out if there's a simpler way to get his dialogue tree and conversation wheel configured.

If you are looking for his Companion specific data, search for NVDLC01FollowersGordon.

Or just Gordon if you don't want to type all that.

His initial location is inside the abandoned brotherhood of steel bunker, at the back past the radio.

Obviously, you'll have needed to completed Dead Money to see him, otherwise you'll just start the DLC.

Likewise, you will also need Dead Money installed, since he's referencing assets from the DLC.

I've even tried looking at other companions, but they have so much data, it's hard to cut it down to "bare essentials".

For example, sorting through all Veronica's dialogue about Elijah and Brotherhood history when I'm trying to find data on a Follower Firing Command is a bit much.

Edited by XTgrndr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Follower Guide that you're using came with a sample companion.esp that you could use for comparison and code ripping.

I've even tried looking at other companions, but they have so much data, it's hard to cut it down to "bare essentials".

For example, sorting through all Veronica's dialogue about Elijah and Brotherhood history when I'm trying to find data on a Follower Firing Command is a bit much.

On the subject of the DLC's, I've been doing some looking into the endings for Honest Hearts. Sorry, but this is going to be a long post and I have a lot to cover.

The endings for Honest Hearts depends on the fight (Joshua) or flee (Daniel) options but there is also the Chaos In Zion quest which begins when the player kills story related NPCs. Triggering this quest prevents the other quests in Honest Hearts from being completed and result in Zion Canyon becoming the White Legs new stomping ground. Another variable is the player's decision to let Joshua kill Salt's-Upon-Wounds, killing him personally or convince Joshua to spare him. Anyway here's what I've found;

White Legs

Flee Option - If the player evacuates the Sorrows from Zion Canyon to the Grand Staircase then the White Legs will have their appeal to join the Legion refused because they had not yet killed the New Canaanites who escaped to Grand Staircase. In a half-hearted effort to find the New Canaanites they were ambushed by Dead Horses trained in the ways of Joshua Graham. The White Legs lose hope of joining the Legion and break up into smaller raiding parties that end up polluting Zion Canyon.

Chaos In Zion - Killing Daniel will have the White Legs overrunning and plundering the place and remove any trace of the other tribes. On a related note I would suspect that the White Legs petition into the Legion will not go the way the want. Considering the Legion's past treatment of betraying tribes I can see the Legion not having the inclination to teach them english, let alone some Latin. I can see the males being put to death and the females becoming baby machines for the Legion in their efforts to burn out their tribal ways. Could be an interesting mission for a evil Legion player acting as an emissary.

Fight Option - Asides from some minor changes the end result is always the same with the White Legs retreating from Salt Lake City. Convincing Joshua to spare Salts-Upon Wounds- will see the 80s tribe hearing that he has become a broken man and decide to overun their camps, scattering the White Legs to the winds and take Great Salt Lake.

Killing Salt-Upon-Wounds yourself will have the White Legs tracking down the New Cananites to Colorado and fall into ambushes set up for them with Dead Horses killing any that flee. When word of the White Legs reduced numbers reached the 80's tribe then war is declared and the White Legs are wiped out by the end of the year.

Allowing Joshua to kill Salt-Upon-Wounds will result in the White Legs fearing further reprisals and flee into Wyoming only to lose half their numbers after the first winter. Then they break up into smaller parties.

Sorrows

Flee option - Evacuating the Sorrows in addition to completing the tasks given by Daniel will result in the Sorrows making it to the Grand Staircase and eventually accepted the loss of Zion. If the player evacuated the Sorrows without doing any of the tasks then a number of Sorrows will die in the evacuation. Those that survive will be unable to accept the loss of Zion.

Fight option - This option will turn the Sorrows from a peaceful timid tribe to a warlike one which Daniel had feared. The option to spare Salt Upon Wounds will allow the Sorrows to curb their militaristic ways which Daniel takes some small consolation in. The option to let Joshua kill Salts would turn the Sorrows over time to be ruthless in their dealings and even with each other. Daniel is said to negotiate between the New Canaanites and the Zion tribes for peace but is shunned later on. The option for the player to kill Salts will still turn the Sorrows into a proud and warlike tribe but mentions nothing about them turning on each other.

Dead Horses

Chaos In Zion - If Joshua is killed then the New Canaanites will contact the tribe. In respect for Joshua's memory they will help protect the New Canaanites territory.

Flee option - After helping the Sorrows evacuate the Dead Horses return to Dead Horse Point. The tribe would continue to learn from the New Canaanites and build a flourishing community on the banks of the Colorado river over time. However the Dead Horses seem to revere the legend of Joshua Graham over the New Canaanite's teachings.

Fight option - Relations between the Sorrows are neutral for a time but as years pass periods of conflict occur with the New Canaanites and Daniel trying to mediate between both groups but found it hard to reconcile the tribe's conflicts.

Happy Trails Caravan Company

Chaos In Zion - With the failure to contact the New Canaanites and other negative experiences in Zion, this will force the company into bankruptcy within six months and dissolve.

Flee option - The New Canaanites decide to repay Happy Trails for their assistance by sending a trade caravan twice a year to their office in New Reno. This allows the company to stay in business but only just.

Fight option - With the White Legs defeated this allows the company to establish contact with the New Canaanites and a secure trade route into Zion every two months and the company returns to prosperity. With the Sorrows and Dead Horses defending Southwest Utah resulting in both tribes uniting against the 80's tribe and driving them back from Highway 50 which opens up another trade route for Happy Trails.

Follows-Chalk

His ending relies on his quest Civilized Man's Burden which results in him staying with his tribe or choosing to one day leave his tribe to wander westward into the wilderness never to be seen again. It would be nice to pick up Follows-Chalk as a companion if the player convinced him to explore the world.

Waking Cloud

Her ending is tie into her quest A Family Affair where the player chooses to inform her about her husband's fate or choosing to keep her in the dark. Hiding the truth will result in her finding out later on and causing problems between her tribe and the New Canaanites. Telling her the truth will result in her forgiving Daniel and later taking a husband from the Dead Horses.

Joshua Graham

With the exception of killing him Joshua's ending is tied in with the player's handling over Salt-Upon -Wound's fate. Sparing Salts or killing him yourself will curb Joshua's militaristic ways (even more so with the decision to spare Salts). Otherwise Joshua will begin training his army in the way of the Canaanite and have the Zion tribes and New Canaanites being seen as groups to be feared.

Daniel

With the exception of killing him we've got the fight or flee options for his ending. If the player helps Daniel evacuated the Sorrows then he will remain with them at the Great Staircase. If the player chooses to help Joshua defend Zion then Daniel will remain but will find it hard to stop the tribes increasing militancy and will eventually return to his home in Dead Horse Point.

And that's what I've got for the Honest Hearts endings. I'm sure we can find some ideas in the endings to work with. In addition to the endings I've found mention of two other Zion tribes called the Tar Walkers and Crazy Horns that helped the New Canaanites earlier on and that the White Legs had wiped out at the start of Honest Hearts. There is not a lot of information on these tribes but I'm sure some survivors can be created into an expansion.

Another idea would be for setting up a new settlement at Three Marys if the White Legs were kicked out. This settlement can be founded by the survivors of the Tar Walkers and Crazy Horns and would be open to any friendly tribals. I can imagine some missions where the player would have to negotiate with the elders of the Sorrows and Dead Horses who were not seen in the original game. The idea of this settlement would be for good karma characters who want to see the tribes coexist together.

Seeing the 80's tribe would also be something worth putting in at some point. There is not a lot of information on them but they are known to be enemies with the White Legs and raiding frontier towns in Northern Nevada. They are said to cover large areas of land with just a few men which would make me think that they are a biker gang. Considering that the player is indirectly responsible for the 80s taking over the White Legs territory it might be good to see Great Salt Lake created as a new location that the player can try to take for the New Canaanites after a long and bloody battle.

I also like the idea that Devin had for the tribe descended from Vault 22 survivors, I'm sure that can also be added in to the expansion.

Edited by Devilman1975

Well, since Honest Hearts has been raised, I'll toss in my 2 bottlecaps.

I was always quite fond of Follows-Chalk, so it might be nice to expand on his role a bit.

But if he becomes a companion, may I suggest the following guidelines?

First of all, he should be out in the main game somewhere, since (if you take that path), he leaves Zion forever.

Alternately, there is another version where he stays in the valley, but since that wouldn't do much, it's not very interesting.

But still, since the player chooses the path, you have to accomodate for both versions.

Secondly, it would be interesting if we could assign Follows-Chalk a roving script, that he follows a specific path and you have to find him.

That would suit his explorer nature, he doesn't strike me as the kind of person to just sit around in one place.

I've seen one Companion mod like that, where your potential companion walks back and forth between Goodsprings and Novac, requiring you to actually find them.

The one thing that disappointed me is that by encouraging the Dead Horses and Sorrows to defend their home is they become increasingly militant towards each other.

I'd like the option to solve their dispute and make them less aggressive towards their allies again.

I'd also like to follow up on the 80s reference, since we never see them.

However, since we've never seen them, they'll have to be designed from the ground up.

This is the only description we have (see the RPG section):

The 80s

It would require a new area though, the I80 and the Great Salt Lake,

Also, it would be interesting to add a new choice into the game.

When you arrive in the area, the White Legs ask you to help save them from the 80s or alternately, you could ally yourself with the 80s and crush the White Legs who remain.

I did open the sample companion file, but not sure what was meant to be in there, as it was completely blank.

Edited by XTgrndr

Well, since Honest Hearts has been raised, I'll toss in my 2 bottlecaps.

I'd also like to follow up on the 80s reference, since we never see them.

However, since we've never seen them, they'll have to be designed from the ground up.

This is the only description we have (see the RPG section):

The 80s

It would require a new area though, the I80 and the Great Salt Lake,

Also, it would be interesting to add a new choice into the game.

When you arrive in the area, the White Legs ask you to help save them from the 80s or alternately, you could ally yourself with the 80s and crush the White Legs who remain.

help the white legs for a perk called white leg warrior which increases your dt, guns, and melee, or the 80's for a skill called way of the 80's which increases your survival, perception, and agility

White leg warrior: Time you spent fighting with the white legs has increased your fighting spirit against all enemies

Way of the 80's: You've learned from the 80's their secret of covering massive areas with little manpower.

Edited by kingwilfre16