An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

What was I thinking /// of course it wasn't going to work.

The VATS option , not even close to getting that to work.

I have to confess ... this is my first long term deep attemp at modding FNV .

The rest of my experience is Fo3 and flighty little stuff for FNV.

And I have to say ... I am not impressed with the FNV engine.

It is glitchy finicky compared to Fo3 solidity .

Infact I think I don't want to attempt to mod this engine anymore .

I'm taking my battle arena idea back to Fo3 where I started it

What was I thinking ? .... was just dazzled with JIP and your Mod Idea devin.

Good idea though , we just be games apart

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any specifics I might be able to help with.

I don't know if this is still useful, but here are the flags for DisablePlayerControls 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 ; Looking, fighting (for the beam weapon), and Rollover Text are still enabled. I'm guessing those are the one's you want available.

Any specifics I might be able to help with.

I don't know if this is still useful, but here are the flags for DisablePlayerControls 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 ; Looking, fighting (for the beam weapon), and Rollover Text are still enabled. I'm guessing those are the one's you want available.

Sorry to sound so disgruntled on it. But this basically is the problem ...

Flag Definitions MovementFlag : Player movement is disabled. Activation of world objects is disabled. HUD is partially disabled: Action Points, Health, Crosshair.

And this script , my latest version , that works somewhat now ... but still will not give me the ref , which I guess is because the crosshair is disabled ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCN zzzTestSatBeamSCRIPT
Int iSetGS
Int iSetTarget
Ref rTargetAquire
Begin GameMode
If iSetGS == 0
Con_SetGameSetting fVATSMaxEngageDistance 10000
Set iSetGS To 1
endif
End
Begin MenuMode 1056
If iSetGS == 1 && iSetTarget == 0
let rTargetAquire := ObjectUnderReticle 2000 10000
If rTargetAquire.IsInList INVBat01TroopList01 == 1
Set iSetTarget to 1
If IsKeyPressed 256 == 1 && iSetTarget == 1
rTargetAquire.AddScriptPackage zzzAddTestPack
Set iSetTarget to 3
endif
endif
endif
END
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I couldn't figure out how to use the "GetVATSValue" But maybe you can ?

OK I'll take a look at it, but I'm not talented in scripting. BTW if it's not turn based (ie using RTS) why did you decide to go with VATS. What component of the battle arena did you need to implement that relies on it?

EDIT: if your using it to stop time, just so you can issue orders without being rushed or overwhelmed by opposing forces, a message input like some buttons should also pause the game while you make your selection. Or maybe VATS is essential for a different part of your mod strategy that I'm not picking up on?

Edited by devinpatterson

OK I'll take a look at it, but I'm not talented in scripting. BTW if it's not turn based (ie using RTS) why did you decide to go with VATS. What component of the battle arena did you need to implement that relies on it?

EDIT: if your using it to stop time, just so you can issue orders without being rushed or overwhelmed by opposing forces, a message input like some buttons should also pause the game while you make your selection. Or maybe VATS is essential for a different part of your mod strategy that I'm not picking up on?

Vats is just an option to target troops for sure ... since disabling player movement control takes away the crosshair , and adds aberration with where the projectile is projected ... ergo hard to hit an Actor without vats.

But even with vats at the distances I'm trying , does not for sure hit them.

Vats however brings them up no problem at nearly 10000 units away.

Just can't figure out why I cannot get them as a reference once they have been targeted with vats.

But maybe it is something else ... check my thread in FNV Geck section.

Well the sat beam and add package works good now , it's just the stinking Sat View with needing to disable player movement that is the problem. Still very hard to hit a target to bring up the add package message buttons.

If I can't get something working with that ... I guess I will just complete it without Isometric view option.

Well the sat beam and add package works good now , it's just the stinking Sat View with needing to disable player movement that is the problem. Still very hard to hit a target to bring up the add package message buttons.

If I can't get something working with that ... I guess I will just complete it without Isometric view option.

Well there may be an option, in re: to movement but I don't know how viable it is. You can "pin" the player to a set of coordinates by script, but this is a (at best) "in theory" proposal. The same way that some of the mounted creatures mods work is to dynamically adjust the players position via script. I'v used it to "pin" a crow to the player's shoulder, vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUoC8cy41r0

But I'v never pinned a player to a specific point, so I can't say for sure if it will be a disaster, because normally the player is also restrained in the script, but it might be worth trying. Grab one of the rideable creatures I ported (Malcolm the molerat, bubba, or betsy) for the script and try it out if you have time. It could alleviate the issue with the restrainPC and the crosshair, or it could crash horribly, or cause space time distortions.

Or if your not comfortable mucking with the script send me the mod and I'll edit it for you (if I can, this is uncharted territory).

Got it working with a different method , this thread explains it https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8503043-getvatsvalue-use/&do=findComment&comment=78572268

So it won't have dynamic satview , just 5 fixed positions I'm planning so far.

But each sat view will be dependent on a ground unit being placed , and maintained from getting destroyed.

Placement probably 1.25 cell distance towards enemy base each unit. Which I think will make it so there is no spot you cannot shoot your troops with the beam link (10000) units away , with or without VATS.

I think I need you to model me a Beam Link gun though. So far I just made a unique weap out of this ...

NVDLC03WeapSniperRifleUniqueChristine

My attempts to mess with other stuff and their projectiles just led to jacked up stuff.

I'm not good with weapons in NV.

Also wondering if you could model a special mine , that will be dropped to place a turret .

So basically this mine gets dropped , the player uses the detonator , the explosion places the turret.

By the way I'm using the detonator as the sat view control , so I could add a script section for the turret mine.

It just brings up message buttons OnFire and runs a gamemode block.

But if you think , the Sat control would be another item to model if you don't want the detonator getting recycled.

That's pretty much it though for things in the battle arena that probably need a new model .nif , for this one anyways.

Beam LinK

Turret Mine

Sat Control

.............. just to clarify

Ah crap , I wasn't suppose to divulge that until you play tested it. Ah well it's just a couple pieces to it.

Albeit it was the major hump I had to get over ... there is more but won't be that tricky in figuring out.

What was it I said before ... be done in 2 weeks ... mUhaHAhaHahA Ha! what a joke.

But I'll say maybe from this point ... 2 weeks :ninja:

I think I need you to model me a Beam Link gun though. So far I just made a unique weap out of this ...

NVDLC03WeapSniperRifleUniqueChristine

I'll help if I can. I'd suggest something that looks less like a firearm and more like a transmission device. One that may fit the bill is the mesmetron. pic;

Mesmetron.png

I could even add a little parabolic antenna to simulate long range communication (under, where it won't interfere with sighting). And then add some misc to make it unique, possibly with a different re-texture.

Also wondering if you could model a special mine , that will be dropped to place a turret .

Any thoughts on the visuals? I could make a large mine with the dome/top of the turrent visible to give the illusion that it's desighned to rise out of the mine. Also need some parameters on size.

But if you think , the Sat control would be another item to model if you don't want the detonator getting recycled.

What are you thinking along the lines of for a model?