An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

I think I need you to model me a Beam Link gun though. So far I just made a unique weap out of this ...

NVDLC03WeapSniperRifleUniqueChristine

I'll help if I can. I'd suggest something that looks less like a firearm and more like a transmission device. One that may fit the bill is the mesmetron. pic;

/snip

I could even add a little parabolic antenna to simulate long range communication (under, where it won't interfere with sighting). And then add some misc to make it unique, possibly with a different re-texture.

I'm picturing a small 2 handed rifle type device with scope. So I don't think it can totally get away from looking weaponish.

Off the top of my head ... take a world war 2 grease gun and add some 1950's sci-fi look to it. Some small parabolic antena along the barrel would look good like you said. But I ultimately would leave the design up to you . Just don't want it bulky ... and presently I don't plan on it needing magazine reloading , but that might reveal it's self as a good game play feature in the arena later?

Also want to make it dual use . So firstly it comes stock as the command link device. Then later can be upgraded to repair units. Which would be a sustained beam projectile slowly ticking up their health. But that is just selected at the message button popup , not a different control button. Albeit I guess it needs a cancel button push check ? The alt control should always be the scope overlay. And then in momentary hind sight hmmm . I guess the repair feature should have ammo/reloading . So maybe 2 model variations ... one without magazine and one with it ?

IDK on that ... because I would have to defer to your experience on how to add a reload animation.

The players actual weapons will be separate objects from this ... but that is another matter .

Also wondering if you could model a special mine , that will be dropped to place a turret .

Any thoughts on the visuals? I could make a large mine with the dome/top of the turrent visible to give the illusion that it's desighned to rise out of the mine. Also need some parameters on size.

I like the sound of that already :smile:

To tell you the size of the placed turret object ...

This object "EnclaveHallPillar02" scale set to .7 used for it's upper struts.

This object "EnclaveHallPillar01" scale set to .71 so it doesn't have clipping with the previous object , and used for it's lights.

This object "DLC01PipeEnd01" scale set to 3.2 to accommodate a full size turrets base , placed atop the top struts since the turret base doesn't line up well with the pillar struts. Also the side with shadow facing up since you can't see it when the turret is atop. I keep the turret full size because my experience in scaling them gives them wonky behavior with their physics.

These 3 pieces are made into a SCOL , that then will disappear if the turret gets destroyed.

So as far as the horizontal round foot print of the mine object. The pipe end is the biggest thing. But it doesn't need be that big. Hope that helps ... I leave it up to your decision. And I think I can run a script to have the stand portion actually rise out of the ground.Then the turret pop in with an fx playing.

Or since the whole thing needs to be disabled/enabled after raising it up with a script. What gets raised need not be the actual object left standing.

But if you think , the Sat control would be another item to model if you don't want the detonator getting recycled.

What are you thinking along the lines of for a model?

This object I don't really mind it being the detonator for now. Since the type of devices the player is going to need is still evolving. So I guess you should hold off on this one till we see the play action going on.

Like the Beam Link , am going to want to combine functions into items , so the player doesn't have a bunch of stuff they need equip out of their pipboy inventory. Keeping most everything they are going to use within 8 hot keys is sort of a goal of mine.

But just to float an idea out there for now ... would it be possible to have a small screen that can change depending on the function of it ? No actual interface capability , just the illusion of it , with message buttons being the actual interface brought up by control presses.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why I didn't see this before "NVDLC03WeapLaer"

It's pretty close to what I was thinking , but a bit smaller / with scope , and a pointy tipped end.

Been messing with beam projectiles , and I guess the way to get a sustained beam is just through having the weapon use automatic fire / high rate of fire ? Because slowing it down and increasing the fade duration doesn't seem to do it.

To tell you the size of the placed turret object ...

OK, I'll take a peek at the bits and bobs you have listed and get back to you when I have a better visual understanding of what you have in mind.

Well then imagine this rising out of the ground to start "EnclaveHallPillar01"

The other pieces can pop in with FX covering that up.

I spent a few hours last night trying to get the FX for building a unit in the manufacture bay right.

Think I got a good handle on it now ... we be possible to link and time most anything like that.

But!!! looks like there is some glitchy behavior with some of the FX still playing when they should be disabled. But it did clear up eventually ... so not worrying about it for now.

I remember same type thing happening in Fo3 with turning on/off fire place.

Story point to go with this thread idea https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8521203-storms-of-the-divide/

The Marked men have set up bases along the Lonesome road. And the player needs to go clear them out.

At first I thought the Legion would be good to simulate the Zerg of StarCraft. But the Marked Men will be much better in that endeavor.

Albeit I think there needs to be a singular entity controlling them ... even though I guess they are split Legion/NCR

Which don't mix , or wouldn't mix to be allies in battle ???

Something though is out there , moving these pawns for its will.

even though I guess they are split Legion/NCR

Which don't mix , or wouldn't mix to be allies in battle ???

Something though is out there , moving these pawns for its will.

Naw your good, I took a look at the wiki; "Despite belonging to completely different factions with opposing ideologies when they were humans, the pain united the men into a single group"

They may have once been different factions, but no longer.

Been messing with beam projectiles , and I guess the way to get a sustained beam is just through having the weapon use automatic fire / high rate of fire ? Because slowing it down and increasing the fade duration doesn't seem to do it.

I think you'll find the high auto fire a dead end for simulating a continuous beam, at least I did when I went down that road. There was one of the old masters (I think it might have been weijiesen) was working on a constant beam weapon. I don't see it under his profile, so it may not have been completed, but I bet he will be able to help out in re: "how to" info.

Barring that (and if you have no other options), I'd say a invisible projectile paired with a visible fake beam, something similar to the laser sight vid below (I think I may have already posted this recently);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ZhJWHZOUw

The first problem I'd see with the method I'm suggesting is it will "go through"/penetrate targets. I don't see that being a big issue since your aiming at figures on the ground. The second is triggering the visible component of the beam. In the vid above I used a time marker embedded in the animation and that would have to be changed from the draw to just when firing, or more likely enable/disabled via script for when the fire button is held down.

It's a dirty kludge, but it might work if you have no other choice.

I think you'll find the high auto fire a dead end for simulating a continuous beam, at least I did when I went down that road. There was one of the old masters (I think it might have been weijiesen) was working on a constant beam weapon. I don't see it under his profile, so it may not have been completed, but I bet he will be able to help out in re: "how to" info.

Barring that (and if you have no other options), I'd say a invisible projectile paired with a visible fake beam, something similar to the laser sight vid below (I think I may have already posted this recently);

Actually I was using the term "Sustained Beam" to loosely I guess. The high fire rate works good at 10 , but maybe will bump it to 12 ? And then that makes the repair mechanic work without some fancy scripting.

Kinda had a dumb moment that cleared up when I realized the muzzle flash was what made it not look so good.

So getting rid of that makes the render of it work out. The question now , is how to separate the 2 functions without tedium. Because I see it's not going to work out having the menu buttons pop up first thing every time you shoot one of your troop units , if repairing is your intention.

But now I'm thinking of a 3rd use for it (another upgrade), which only needs the player to target an enemy with it.

Have each hit run a very small chance to make them bezerk , attacking their allies.

Albeit unless luck of the roll was on your side quite a bit , would be a rather expensive use of ammo.

Which leads to the question , maybe the Beam Link should always use ammo. Even though it's a very small amount to Link and add a package compared to repairing ... that could lead to not being able to issue commands to your troops until you manufacture some more ammo at your base. Which could be an interesting predicament game play wise ... to be in I suppose ?

What ya think ?

On another subject , I'm still puzzling on how to display the materials collected to the player.

I can easily turn off and on the choices in the terminal based on the tally. But I think they need a place to check it. Do you think just simply putting items in the player inventory would be good? It's 2 items ... Scrap and Gas

But they will build up hundreds , possibly a few thousand if they don't spend them.

Or I'm half thinking of using AP , and just disabling it's regular use. But IDK bout that :ermm: could introduce to many problems maybe ?

Neither one of us knows how to do XML editing right ?

What ya think ?

Honestly I'm a little lost, it's a very in depth mod your creating with a lot of detail and varied aspects/gameplay changes. Any chance of a demo or even a video so we can see it in action. I think then I might have a better understanding, and be able to follow what your posting a little easier.

Or I'm half thinking of using AP , and just disabling it's regular use. But IDK bout that :ermm: could introduce to many problems maybe ?

Neither one of us knows how to do XML editing right ?

No, unfortunately I don't. I would love to learn if I have some free time (but that's been in short supply). But you don't need XML for working with AP, just normal scripting with an attribute. Or did you mean altering the way the AP gui element looks?

Honestly I'm a little lost, it's a very in depth mod your creating with a lot of detail and varied aspects/gameplay changes. Any chance of a demo or even a video so we can see it in action. I think then I might have a better understanding, and be able to follow what your posting a little easier.

Looks like not as in depth as I had hoped :sick: ... Because the major aspect of it ( AI running regardless of what/where the player is doing something) is handicapped by the uGridsToLoad setting.

So no sending your troops off to do battle/defend base outside the 2 cells , up to nearly 3 cells away from player with the default setting of 5. Hence for my vision to work on a somewhat acceptable level. That setting needs increased to 9 giving 4-5 cell distance. Which kinda sucks since technically you really only get a bit over 1/4 of the loaded cells to work with in map creation. Albeit there is probably some other stuff to do with tweaking the game that can help out. But this looks like it ultimately leads to having to divorce this game play from any regular game play , in a players save file. And this particular map spot I have created , being 9 cells distance in the X coordinate , would require uGridsToLoad = 17 , plus stripping the vanilla content that falls within that to get it to maybe work.

What I don't get though , is how the traveling caravans work then ? How is it possible for them to get killed with the player never running into them. Thereby spawning mods making them essential. Or was that just a Fo3 thing ? And the NV engine difference , is now that they limit the scope of what happens outside the loaded cells ? Or it is something I have done with this set up , that leaves npc's doing nothing with their AI packages while outside the loaded cell grid.

So here we are finding out that I don't think we can feasibly marry our 2 mod visions together.

At least not without my content being nothing more than a clunky shoe horned addition.

Which I don't think either one of us wants that ?

I'll still send you the file to look at if your interested. Because ultimately I still want to go forward with my Idea.

Which I think would benefit greatly from an in depth lore driven story to weave all the battle arena campaigns together. Buttt!!! I think it may need stretched and even jump off the tracks of the old cannon lore wise. Thereby writing new lore. Which you seem rather interested in to some degree ???

And not sure , but I may have to take it back to the Fo3 engine if what I suspect they did to the FNV engine for optimization is a thing ???