An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Camp Golf would definitely be a major plot area as it controls the water flow to the farms. My main problem is that we are assuming an independent army will be as strong as the NCR - even under the best of circumstances the newly formed miltia would be undisciplined and bad at being soldiers - sort of like the squad at Camp Golf. It would take time and money to mold them into a credible alternative to the NCR and I don't think a month is long enough.

Well, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't leave enemy/unfriendly forces in my metaphorical backyard - especially the Special Forces units of the NCR. I'm sure we can ask someguy2000 for a patch that disables them afterwards.

I agree - there should be a build up of forces, with perhaps even missions to clear out raiders that took over the areas the NCR left once your forces reach a certain level. Would need an area for a boot camp though...probably Camp Golf would be best. Plus some areas could be NCR deserters who are Independent New Vegas-leaning which would make some areas easier - i.e. due to the Courier helping certain outposts, they would be more loyal to someone who tried to help them rather than send them to die.

Great idea for the Boomers: you could get a one-time use laser designator like the Euclid C-Finder for the Boomers to target.

Well, the problem with that is that you would need both a male/female version and it depends on what sort of speech the character can give - is is strictly reading off of a pre-written speech, or will there be a dialog choice? I would rather have a PR guy or something that would be giving humorous speeches, sort of like at the end of Half-Life 2 when Dr. Kleiner is telling everyone over the PA system to get "freaky" with one another now that reproduction inhibitor field was disabled.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're absolutely right about the fact that it would take some time to properly train up a new army. I doubt that a newly formed army consisting of humans and ghouls could ever match the size of the NCR or the Legion but you have to consider that the army is supported by hundreds of securitrons. The securitrons will also provide the new army the time it needs to properly train troops. Acquiring the ability to mass produce securitrons should also be a priority if the securitron vault doesn't have any manufacturing capabilities.

Depending on the player's reputation with the NCR it should be possible to recruit some former NCR troops who were disillusioned by the likes of Oliver and Kimball. I'm sure that the NCR political and military leaders would try to suppress information about the player's accomplishments after they lose Hoover Dam. A lot of idle chatter from NCR military and civilians indicates that the NCR has already taken credit for some of the Courier's actions such as the elimination of the Fiend leaders and securing Nelson. However the Courier is still recognized as the one who has killed Caesar and saved Kimball (if the player chooses to do so) and I can't imagine the NCR being able to cover that up.

Thinking more about the recruitment campaign it might be possible for the player to employ Michaelangelo to come up with new recruitment and propaganda posters to replace the NCR ones with.

I like the idea of having a PR guy to handle the public but I think that the player should give at least one speech as leader of New Vegas. I can imagine somebody from the Chairmen having the charisma to take that role. I would certainly welcome some dialogue choices in the speech.

Excuse me asking, but is this going anywhere or it's just a group of users exchanging ideas ?

Not that I wouldn't love to get my hands on such a mod.

No worries, it can be confusing because it's a long thread. I'm working on the actual esp (maybe eventually a esm?). But right now I have a 6 day work week and commitments on Sat so progress is slow. There are two betas posted in this thread. Beta 1 is simply to allow companions to enter the penthouse. Beta 2 includes beta 1 & clears off the west side of Hoover as well as the interior (go grab some ammo from the quartermaster). Beta 3 is almost done and will finish cleaning off the dam (east side). After beta 3 I will probably start on the fort & some minor modifications on the strip (factions goodness for the securitrons). This 4th beta will probably be the first public beta, so we can have more people test the mod for bugs.

The whole process is a little slow, partly because of my lack of time, partly my lack of skill and speed and partly the very complicated structure story quest/scripts of the main game. However beta 3 will be posted in this thread and should be up within a week.

There are various parts to teh whole Viva New Vegas umbrella. It will cover the independant ending and the NCR ending. Because of the way I'm putting the mod together, The house ending will also be easy to implement & will probably be included. The Legion ending may not.

There are various parts/chapters that I am trying to establish an outline for and that the contributors to this thread are helping me to hash out;

Chapter 1 is what I'm working on now and is simply cleaning up the battlescenes and the initial effects of the ending depending on which quest you followed (ie is hte NCR here, Securitrons teammates etc).

Chapter 2 implements some of the end slides (like riots in NV) that happen very soon after the end game.

Chapter 3 includes extending the story lines from the original NV including House's revenge against the player. It concerns the continuing history of the BOS, Jacobstown mutants, & other factions, locations and NPC's in the aftermath of the battle at hoover.

Chapter 4(?) concerns players altering NV and the Mojave (a lot of the discussion centers on this point). It essentially gives the player a chance to influence the design of his/her "kingdom" and it's people.

Chapter 5 deals with the legion primarily (as a main story line) and their incursions. A lot of the recent discussion concerns this story arc.

The above is just a rough outline.

from the wiki (ncr);

The NCR also had an extensive railroad network in the New Vegas area and in the Core Region. The network used in the Mojave was used for transporting limestone from Quarry Junction to Boulder City; these efforts were halted by the Powder gangers revolt and the unsuccessful efforts to curb deathclaw population growth.

Might be something to start up again if the quarry is clear & powder gangers taken care of. I'm guessing they are planning on restoring Boulder, which could be interesting.

Reopening the quarry would provide a valuable resource for restoration efforts. Restoring Boulder City however would be a monumental task that would take a considerable length of time. When talking to Chomp Lewis at the Sloan camp he mentions that the cement is used for building defenses at Hoover Dam instead of being used for rebuilding Boulder City.

I suppose that Boulder City can be cleaned up in the meantime and have some kind of camp set up due to it's proximity to Hoover Dam. The only thing is that the Wendy Gilbert companion mod has a house in the area and that there is also the Boulder City Jail from the New Vegas Bounties 2 mod so you would probably have to be careful where to place things.

Reopening the quarry would provide a valuable resource for restoration efforts. Restoring Boulder City however would be a monumental task that would take a considerable length of time.

Oh I'm not looking at restoring boulder per se, just putting men back to work in teh quarry, having a train nearby. Maybe some supplies & men around the boulder train station. You know give the impression that time marches on as opposed to the quarry being in perpetual stasis.

What I was trying to say is that Lanius is a capable commander, strong of body and of cunning intelligence, but he is not well liked due to his brutal methods. So this leads me to ask, why would Cesar pick Lanius as his successor? ....I suppose if Cesar truly had no other choice, say due to Lanius' popularity, I could follow that train of thought - but that does not appear to be the case here.

I think it's more simple than that. A legate is the Caesars battlefield commander & is second in command. It's a natural succession due to the chain of military command. I don't think Caesar placed him there in preparation for his succession, but because of what he does best.....conquest on the battlefield. I doubt, at this point, that Caesar has a great deal of concern re: succession.

Plus Lanius' abilities (personal combat prowess-he's a boss, 7 tall etc) don't make him an easy man to impersonate. Nor is it necessary to have a legendary Legate. Graham was burned because Caesar was making an example of him and his failure. He was obviously expendable.....as is any man in the legion, in Caesars eyes. A legate can fall an another can rise if he has the ability, it won't impact the legion any more than the loss of Graham. If the Legion matches the NCR in population, Caesar has as many as 700,000 people to draw from.

If we were to go down the route of impersonation of a title/personality/rank I'd much rather see that be Caesar himself. Ie. the man in the Mojave was his double while he was in Flagstaff.

But barring that, there is no reason you can't have the general you envision as a contender to the title Caesar (there were a lot of Caesars-title, down through history), but I don't think you have to go through machiavellian machinations to get him. There are many very capable men in the Legion, one will rise up to lead it.

Vaults

Maybe it's just me, but I think the vaults should stay as they are, minus some clutter cleanup - unless of course there is a good explanation as to how (and why) the refurbishment was done, then I guess go for it.

No not really a pressing need/justification, just a player option since they are a great pre-war resource the likes of which probably won't be matched for decades or a century to come. Plus if they are cleared out, something is going to use them, might as well be something positive as opposed to bandits etc.

Quarry: I agree - the quarry should be reopened, along with several others - for example, a new one quarry near Vault 19 for mining sulfur; showing that indeed - time marches on.

Boulder City: Well, Boulder City and Nipton are both ripe for "rebulding" quests as both are destroyed and near train tracks, but I don't know how involved we should get with that. Boulder City is important due to its proximity to Hoover Dam - a perfect place for a military installation. I had the thought of turning Nipton into Fort Abandon, but that would be more NCR related. Any mods in the Boulder City area can be moved to the outskirts - the main problem would be to make patches for all the mods affected.

Lanius: I guess you're right, but I'm pretty sure that if nothing else, once Cesar learned of his tumor, his successor would definitely be a concern. I also believe that my scenario is possible specifically because Graham failed - he was a symbol, and by failing, he tarnished the pride of Cesar and the Legion - having a rotating Lanius assured no failure could occur; and dissimilarities could be explained away as long as the current Lanius used the mask. Yes, there can be another general who has nothing to do with this, but then why not just support him rather than the turncoat? I guess it can just be a black-and-white scenario, but I think this adds some gray to the picture. As for Cesar having a double, yeah I guess it would make sense, but that would just cloud the issue and raise the question: "why didn't he travel to the Mojave to take the reigns of the Legion after his double died/was killed?" and it would really boost the Legion's power overall, leaving them a major threat.

Vaults: again, sorry, I think I haven't been clear - I'm not saying there shouldn't be new inhabitants; in fact it would be very nice to have the vaults used by good people doing good things. What I am saying, is that minus some clutter cleanup, I don't think there should be a switch from the rusted vault set to the standard vault set - the mod presented as an example did exactly that and that's what I was disagreeing with. That's all.