Well this is interesting

Elsarian

We all know that Dawnguard will be coming out the 26th and 30 days after for us PC users. But what I am even more excited about is that Beth will be adding Dragonbone weapons (finally) and I am actually pretty anxious to see how they turn out. What do you guys think? Do you think that they will just make the weapons do a little less damage than daedric, but be lighter and swing faster? Do you think that the models for the weapons will look as ridiculous as ebony, or look really cool?

The reason why I ask is because there have been countless mods adding dragonbone weapons into the game, some good some not. However, personally, I would rather have the weapons do higher damage than that of daedric simply because of the extra 10 points and a perk point that I have use and I don't want it to go to waste. I want to feel like I earned the weapons and get something good out of it. But still, even if they do make the weapons do less damage than that of daedric, we can still edit them with the CK.

But, anyways, what are your thoughts on them?

-Elsarian

Do you think that the models for the weapons will look as ridiculous as ebony, or look really cool?

What is wrong with the ebony weapons? They look fine to me.

Perhaps it's a matter of opinion but Ebony has always had a disgusting look in Skyrim. They look like a neanderthal made them.

There's already some really good mods on Nexus that offer Dragon bone weapons. The DLC is more then likely going to mess with more of the mods we use. I can appreciate them adding content, but I'd like to see the original code cleaned up before they add more issues.

I agree with you, Brandy. And yes, the ebony weapons, besides the axes, maces, and bows, are terrible. Meaning the swords. I have a huge problem with the standard one-handed long sword model because even though it looks decent in third-person, it's absolutely terrible in first-person. I mean really, when did ebony weapons become so curvy and strange-like? Every weapon has a cool "Nordic" feel and look to it besides those. I absolutely loved the models in Oblivion and Morrowind, but the ones here are just distasteful.

And yes, the code really needs improving. And I would like more graphical effects to be added such as sun rays, SSAO, DX11 tesselation, Verlet effects to non-rigid surfaces, and so much more. I want an atmosphere identical to what is seen in the Witcher 2. Pure breathtaking. But that's all my opinion.

-Elsarian

I agree with you, Brandy. And yes, the ebony weapons, besides the axes, maces, and bows, are terrible. Meaning the swords. I have a huge problem with the standard one-handed long sword model because even though it looks decent in third-person, it's absolutely terrible in first-person. I mean really, when did ebony weapons become so curvy and strange-like? Every weapon has a cool "Nordic" feel and look to it besides those. I absolutely loved the models in Oblivion and Morrowind, but the ones here are just distasteful.

i don't really like ebony either. however ebony weapons are supposed to have been made by the dark elves, so i guess they are supposed to stand out from the normal perception of these types of weapons. supposed to look dark, omnious, and really foreboding at the same time.

Meh ... I already have the Dragonbone Weapons Mod, and after swapping out a couple of meshes, I'm happy, It's not OP'd, and they do feel about right stat wise and the recipes are pretty spot on, I truthfully can't see Beth doing any better considering their past attempts ...

Ebony weapons? I think only the axes are still vanilla in my game, I troll through the weapon mods and pick the ones I really like the look of, sometimes re-colour the textures, then swap them out ...

Strictly from a game lore point of view I think that dragonbone weapons/armour should NOT be better than Daedric, after all the Daedric artefacts (super enchanted Daedric stuff) are supposed to have been made by godlike beings. Then again I believe that you should only be able to forge Daedric stuff under a full moon, preferably a harvest moon.

So to answer your question, it should be lighter/Swing faster/Do LESS damage/be incapable of carrying such a high enchantment. (am I showing mey TES3 origins here :) )

Ditto on the ebony weapons. I love the ebony armour (apart from the helmet but I hate basically all the helmets, especially the ridiculous pin-head steel plate one) but the ebony weapons are very very poor.

The Dwemer weapons and armour are probably the best looking overall set but they quickly become close to useless, which is annoying both because I like them and it doesn't really sit with the dwemer as masters of technology and engineering.

Anyway, dragon weapons, all I can say is about time and why not sooner? Such an obvious and glaring thing to leave out when it's the top perk of the smithing tree, and who playing Skyrim doesn't want cool swords? :)

I've never really been able to decide which weapons I like the least aesthetically: Elven, Glass (those cartoon swords) or Ebony. (Probably Elven, none of those weapons look good.) Dwarven definitely gets the nod for best-looking.

As far as ebony goes, the swords look wack, but everything else is pretty nice. I just wish that the Skyrim models looked like the those in Weapons of the Third Era. Ebony battleaxes are awesome, however.

In all honesty, I think Beth should just kick that modder KTA some serious septims for his mod and call it a day. I doubt anything that Beth can do will look better than those.

Stat-wise, I have to disagree. I think that Dragonbone weapons should be better than Daedric because they are made out of the very bones of immortal, demi-godlike beings. Sure, Daedra are also immortal, but I think that a dragon's bone would do more damage than an ingot of ebony + a flunky Daedra heart. Artifacts should always be the most powerful, sure, but run-of-the-mill Daedric equipment isn't crafted by Daedric Princes. I would agree with Daedric equipment taking better enchantments, however.

Btw, I too think that Daedric should only be able to be crafted at night, etc.