Memory leak

Anonpyrate

When importing from NMM Vortex seems to have a massive memory leak and stalls out and does not import the mods, (over 1 hour to import 1 mod? seriously?), instead it hangs up and has to be shut down via task mananger or by rebooting the computer as vortex hangs in the back ground and will not shut down. Also after installing vortex, all mods are disabled even in NMM and then set in alphabetical order, thus load oreder is messed up and games will not run properly (crash or CTD)( this issue can not be fixed by running LOOT) . These issues would have been seen if properly tested prior to release. It should only take a few minutes to immport mods from NMM not hours. The mods are already installed vortex doesn't need to reinstall everything, just migrat to new manager , that should not be an all day event. I could literally down load and install all the mods faster than the import feature takes.

Extremely Disappointed.

You would get further if you provided more information. You title this problem Memory Leak.

You used Task Manager to shut Vortex down. How much memory did Task Manager say Vortex was using?

Identify the version of Vortex you were using. You know, all the normal problem resolution stuff.

The import is slow (compared to just copying the files in file explorer or something) but not _that_ slow.

But the import is also not complex, it's just copying files, there isn't any code that could leak memory - unless the memory leak is in node.js itself.

It would help if you provided information, like the migration log found at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Vortex

Next: Vortex can not disable mods in NMM, that part is simply impossible.

The "load order" in Vortex is managed differently from NMM so that part isn't imported at all. Plugins are ordered by loot. That _could_ produce a load order that is alphabetical in large parts but that doesn't matter then because it still resolved conflicts.

The "install order" in Vortex is also resolved using rules, but since the mods imported from NMM already have conflicts removed (when you installed them, you chose to overwrite files or not) they can't conflict. And between mods that don't conflict, the load order doesn't matter, so there too it's very possible the load order is alphabetical and that's completely fine.

You would get further if you provided more information. You title this problem Memory Leak.

You used Task Manager to shut Vortex down. How much memory did Task Manager say Vortex was using?

Identify the version of Vortex you were using. You know, all the normal problem resolution stuff.

It used over 75% of all available memory that includes vitural memory, vortex locks up and does absolutly nothing. the import dosn't run and nothing gets imported, instead vortex sits in the back ground and just uses up memory and does nothing at all. It can't be shut down via "end task" nor did creating a dump file for it, had to reboot just to get it to shut down and not be running in the back ground. And as someone said its just a simple copy procedure, well thats not true either I could copy and paste manuly faster than the import feature takes and only would use a fraction of the memory required by vortex to do the same thing. in my oppinion vortex is crap that wasn't tested properly before be released. it was just forced on everyone even though it doesn't work properly. back to MO

It used over 75% of all available memory that includes vitural memory, vortex locks up and does absolutly nothing. the import dosn't run and nothing gets imported, instead vortex sits in the back ground and just uses up memory and does nothing at all. It can't be shut down via "end task" nor did creating a dump file for it, had to reboot just to get it to shut down and not be running in the back ground. And as someone said its just a simple copy procedure, well thats not true either I could copy and paste manuly faster than the import feature takes and only would use a fraction of the memory required by vortex to do the same thing.

There are 150,000 people who have used Vortex thus far, tens of thousands of which have used the import functionality, and you're the only one reporting this issue. Sounds like something on your system is fubar. You can either help us to understand this issue by providing us with useful information we can use to debug it, reproduce it, and fix it (if it is indeed an issue with Vortex at all, and not just your system being all sorts of awful) or you can run away and use something else. It's your choice, but if you choose to run away and not help, you're a part of the problem with "testing". Yes, you.

in my oppinion vortex is crap that wasn't tested properly before be released. it was just forced on everyone even though it doesn't work properly. back to MO

1. Vortex is in Beta. It's written all over the place, with an explanation of what that means, including on our news article announcing this release, on the Vortex file page and on the Vortex download page. Did you bother to read any of that? Did you understand it? I assume you didn't, because if you did, you wouldn't be saying such stupid things.
  2. Before the Beta release over 70,000 users had tried and helped test the Alpha version of the software. How much testing is enough testing for you to be considered the right amount of testing, and do you understand that the whole point of a Beta test is to fix bugs with the software such as the one you're complaining about here?
  3. Why did you download Beta software if you weren't willing to either accept the fact there will still be bugs, and/or help us to diagnose and ultimately fix those bugs?

I'm using 0.16.10 and my Task Manager's processes tab is simply spammed with Vortex instances. Approximately 40 of them. Sorting by memory used, there are a handful at the top using between 40,000K and 300,000K. The rest are sorted to the bottom of the list, using between 72K and 112K. Don't know if that's normal, normal-in-beta, or just weird, but there it is.

It hasn't caused me any trouble so far, but my system also has plenty of memory. A rig with sparer resources might not be as chill about it. :unsure: