Vortex not starting

Sacrifyx

@Tannin42, I just confirmed the problem is indeed due to that Steam is not installed on my system. As soon as I created HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam Vortex 0.16.10 started working. I didn't even need to create string value "SteamPath" so the problem is certainly on the key path.

I think your newest check-in "have to return after throwing a js exception" should get it addressed.

Edited by jackpie

@Tannin42, I just confirmed the problem is indeed due to that Steam is not installed on my system. As soon as I created HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam Vortex 0.16.10 started working. I didn't even need to create string value "SteamPath" so the problem is certainly on the key path.

I think your newest check-in "have to return after throwing a js exception" should get it addressed.

I've been lurking this thread for the same problem. THIS is the solution. You fixed Vortex for me, thank you.

EDIT: Thank you, @jackpie! The "HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam" key addition fixed it for me, as well.

I've never used Steam. My post, however useless, remains below. ~R.

------

Hope this helps the devs...

For me, attempting to open Vortex's latest automatic update results in a short flash of Vortex.exe on the Task Manager "Details" tab and a generated report similar to this one:

-----

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\Vortex.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Vortex.exe
Application Version: 0.16.10.0
Application Timestamp: 5ba21cdf
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.17134.319
Fault Module Timestamp: 1e206b26
Exception Code: e06d7363
Exception Offset: 000000000003a388
OS Version: 10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: aa19
Additional Information 2: aa190c0f3a2f41a373e46a511ee43f45
Additional Information 3: bfcc
Additional Information 4: bfccbc352f6e665286eec533601d3c31

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: d77b93f7071ef822c721dd3f5aa893eb (1666856601277469675)

-----

I've never had/used Steam, but I will add the key mentioned in the thread and retry.

Edited by Rennegadde

Let me get this straight... The latest update has made Vortex DEPENDENT on Steam?? What if I someone has a game which isn't installed via Steam, but Vortex (allegedly) supports its modding? This is ridiculous.

Well, Vortex always checks if Steam is installed, and that didn't change in the new versions. However, the code that checks registry was changed and there was a bug introduced. It certainly was not intended to make Vortex to depend on Steam. Based on the new code check-ins I saw, the next Vortex release will have it fixed and the registry workaround will not be needed anymore.

Well, other than this "won't start" mess, Vortex is a damn good mod manager. In fact, it's a shame it doesn't support Dragon Age Inquisition; it would make everyone's lives easier in DAI part of the Nexus.

Accordingly, I hope you catch my drift when it comes to games' diversity. A mod manager should not have anything to do with the platform/installer of the game, but instead it should be focused only on the game itself!

Why should it check if Steam is installed anyway? Is it actually meant to work with Steam by default? If so, then Steam should be paying the whole Vortex team. But if you guys aren't paid for it, then I don't see why the heck you should make this check/dependency at all.

Btw, I rolled back to 16.8, the game is working, and I'm fervently rejecting any update until this bug or whatever is solved. Considering everything, there is definitely more involved in the bug than just this Steam thing, but I'm glad that we are at least aware of it and that any installer dependency will hopefully be removed.

Well, other than this "won't start" mess, Vortex is a damn good mod manager. In fact, it's a shame it doesn't support Dragon Age Inquisition; it would make everyone's lives easier in DAI part of the Nexus.

Accordingly, I hope you catch my drift when it comes to games' diversity. A mod manager should not have anything to do with the platform/installer of the game, but instead it should be focused only on the game itself!

Why should it check if Steam is installed anyway? Is it actually meant to work with Steam by default? If so, then Steam should be paying the whole Vortex team. But if you guys aren't paid for it, then I don't see why the heck you should make this check/dependency at all.

Btw, I rolled back to 16.8, the game is working, and I'm fervently rejecting any update until this bug or whatever is solved. Considering everything, there is definitely more involved in the bug than just this Steam thing, but I'm glad that we are at least aware of it and that any installer dependency will hopefully be removed.

FWIW I'm managing a GOG install of Fallout 3