ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Not easy

Lionelch

I thought that Vortex was going to make installing mods easy. I just transfered from NMM and I have 56 conflicts and I don't feel like sitting here for hours trying to work it out. I read the Doc. still don't understand it. Call me stupid but I play games for enjoyment not to sit here for hours trying to sort out conflicts. When you get as old as me time is precious. Going back to NMM I hope. I will keep an eye out and when all you have to do is press the install button and Vortex sorts it out, I will be back.

PS Uninstalled Vortex and went back to NMM and my body mod is not working properly and Sim Settlement is not looking correct in some places. Might have to stop playing Fallout 4 for a while don't feel like reinstalling all my mods. Thanks Vortex.

Edited by Lionelch

If you're happy with NMM, stick to it. If you're not sure what you're doing, it's saver this way.

By the way, you're "resolving" conflicts in NMM, too, each time you answer that "Do you want to overwrite files" dialog that pops up in NMM when installing a mods that shares some files with another mod. Which is really common.

You also have to tell Vortex which mod should provide the files. While in NMM you can only change that by reinstalling a mod and answering that "overwrite" dialog, in Vortex you can change that anytime, without having to install the mods from scratch. That's about the only difference in that regard.

""" I will keep an eye out and when all you have to do is press the install button and Vortex sorts it out, I will be back. """"

>> ... and Vortex does that precisely by turning the Auto-Sort function in the PLUGINS section to ON, and it will automatically sort your plugins load order ..... you are confusing load order with resolving rules which is done in the MODS section. There are two separate things. The sorting can be done automatically by Vortex if you turn that function to on as explained before, but the conflicts between your mods MUST be done by the user.

""" Thanks Vortex. """

>> ... it was not Vortex fault but yours by not reading, investigating and applying things step by step. For those who have done their homework, Vortex has been easy as they wanted it to be. Avoid your homework and you will get in trouble with anything in your life but I guess it is easier to blame others ( or things ) but ourselves. !!

Hello Lionelch!

56 conflicts is not unreasonable. I have a great many mods with conflicts, but I want to explain what exactly that means--

A conflict does not mean functions of a mod that will interfere and keep them from working at all, it just means you have 2+ mods that alter the same file, most commonly textures and meshes. In some cases, the files are exactly the same in both mods, such as framework requirement files that a mod author thoughtfully added to their mod to ensure the mod functions even if you forgot to install the framework files ahead of time.

This looks daunting, but it's really not. It doesn't take much time at all, you just need to think about it as a load order adjustment, with greater flexibility.

Do you know how to filter out just unresolved conflicts in your mod menu? Also, do you know how the load before/load after overwrite system works in Vortex yet?

You dont need to drag the mod over to the other, you just need to click the red lightning bolt symbol to look at all conflicts for that mod, and it even shows you exactly which files are in need to priority adjustment too.

Let us know if you need help.

If you're happy with NMM, stick to it. If you're not sure what you're doing, it's saver this way.

By the way, you're "resolving" conflicts in NMM, too, each time you answer that "Do you want to overwrite files" dialog that pops up in NMM when installing a mods that shares some files with another mod. Which is really common.

You also have to tell Vortex which mod should provide the files. While in NMM you can only change that by reinstalling a mod and answering that "overwrite" dialog, in Vortex you can change that anytime, without having to install the mods from scratch. That's about the only difference in that regard.

Thank you for your advise. I realize that overwrite does, but I use Sim Settlements and the mod author is always posting updates. With NMM I would just download it and hit Loot and it worked fine. With Vortex I was getting conflict so I tried to fix it and being a novice I did it wrong because some of my files where deleted, and that is when my problems came from. Someone mentions my high number of conflicts that is caused by updates and texture body mods. Thank you everybody for you input.

Vortex didn't overwrite any files, it will never do that.

If you install an update of a mod, it can be done in two ways: Either overwriting the updated mod (that happens automatically, if you use Vortex update auto-detection and install the update with the small "cloud download" icon. This way the old version is replaced, and all install order rules are retained from the old version, as well. There shouldn't be any new conflicts, unless the new version comes with addional files that were not part of the old version and those cause any new conflicts.

But if you do a manual update, you usually get a completely new mod entry for the new version next to the old version. The new version will obviously conflict with the old version. So uninstall the old version to resolve these conflicts. But you also have to manually copy all install order rules you used for the old version to the new version, too.

This is a hassle, granted. So try to use the automatic "in-place" update mechanism whenever possible. With Sim-Settlements this should be possible (have been a while, so I'm not 100% sure about that).

I have a ton of conflicts they don't happen to be that hard to figure out took me around 10 minutes looking through forums and I figured everything I needed to know about it. Also if you have lets say 56 conflicts doesn't actually mean 56 because they usually resolve themselves after you do most of them manually since they a good amount of the time with my experience have multiple of the conflicting mods intersect each other.

Edited by InfernalUnity

I have a ton of conflicts they don't happen to be that hard to figure out took me around 10 minutes looking through forums and I figured everything I needed to know about it. Also if you have lets say 56 conflicts doesn't actually mean 56 because they usually resolve themselves after you do most of them manually since they a good amount of the time with my experience have multiple of the conflicting mods intersect each other.

We share the same experience. One click and save on, say, "Load after" often would simultaneously resolve a number of other conflicts. Because of this feature, it only took me a few minutes to resolve all the conflicts in my most heavily modded game.