We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Another update coming. Don't forget to back up your .exes

thumbincubation

-OR- Just install the mod called SkyrimSE.exe Auto-Backup and be done with it.

Rather than having all these people freaking out about updates.

I always did manual rollbacks using steam depot, so was never freaking out - but thank you SO much for this post. I had no idea this utility existed, very useful indeed.

Edited by Lagruej

Seriously people.

There's one for Fallout 4 too.

You guessed it it's called "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup"

I highlight, copy my .exes and paste the copies to another folder, then I wait til SKSE and related mods are updated, before I go online with steam and get the update. The backup is just in case I slip and get updated before I planned to. I can't imagine why I'd want to add yet another mod, only to do my copy/pasting for me.

Seriously people.

There's one for Fallout 4 too.

You guessed it it's called "Fallout4.exe Auto-Backup"

I highlight, copy my .exes and paste the copies to another folder, then I wait til SKSE and related mods are updated, before I go online with steam and get the update. The backup is just in case I slip and get updated before I planned to. I can't imagine why I'd want to add yet another mod, only to do my copy/pasting for me.

That's my solution. I allowed my other games to update, yesterday, but I play Skyrim SE offline, and I don't allow updates for the game, until SKSE fixes are ready.

Or just let it update since it doesn't affect you one bit if your game is legit.

Also this particular update was just something for the VC++ libraries and no game data was changed. In other words, Valve did it. Not Bethesda.

It won't matter because the Steam client is still going to update it when it launches - because that's exactly what the setting says it'll do. As soon as it sees you've started SkyrimSE.exe it will flag the game for update. Won't happen while the game is actually running, but once you shut down, that's it. Update time.

The only two 100% foolproof methods to prevent updates are:

1. Never close the game down.

2. Pull the plug on your internet.