Project Spotlight: Fallout 4: New Vegas

Pickysaurus

In response to post #67398216. #67432861, #67438991 are all replies on the same post.

NocturnalWrites wrote: There was a lot about FONV I liked. I've never come across a villain group in a game that I hated as much as I hated the Legion. I went to great lengths to cultivate a vilified reputation with the Legion (and ONLY the Legion) just so I could meet the assassins, kill and mutilate them. I laughed the whole time. I hated the Fiends almost as much and treated them the same way. As a female gamer, I thoroughly enjoyed playing a woman who was ripping apart these abusive rapists and child molesters. *flips the bird to Caesar 'Toss My Salad, You Misogynistic Jerk*

OTOH, FONV left a LOT to be desired if you chose to play a female MC. For one, half the Legion content (if you could stoop so low) wasn't available at all because you're female. Okay; I get that's part of the Legion backstory, but understand, it forces me to have to play a male MC, which I just cannot do. I've tried playing male MCs and no matter how good the game supposedly was, I just couldn't get interested. The game designers should have at least provided some other content that's equal. Fair is fair, and at least you could earn the achievements.

Also, anyone wishing to play a heterosexual (not bisexual, thanks) female character got screwed over in the content department in other ways as well. (And no, I can't play a bisexual woman any more than I can play a man. Just my preference.) For one, you literally cannot earn the achievement of sleeping with a prostitute because none of the male prostitues sleep with women. At all. (Go figure that one.) Caveat: Apparently, there is one, if you choose him for Francine, but I chose Old Ben because he seemed less slimy. Unfortunately, whether by design or by a bug, Old Ben will not sleep with the PC. Also, it makes hardcore a LOT more difficult because there's no male lovers whose beds you can use for the well rested bonus (or even to rest, period.) Also, there was almost a complete and utter lack of anyone heterosexual or even bisexual and male upon which to use the Black Widow perk. There were many, many more options available for the Confirmed Bachelor or Cherchez la Femme perks. It's like the designers never once entered the 21st century and realized that, duh, women do game and duh, we don't want special treatment, but we would like to be able to play the game to the same depth that every other choice can.

So, I'm very interested in seeing if they're going to add more romantic options for players who want to play heterosexual women. Frankly, I found FONV to be damned boring compared to Fallout 4 in that regard. I have a minimal interest in loot, so Lucy at the Thorn, for example, was a great big 'meh' for me. Ditto Sarah, who was good only for increasing my Strip fame. Also (and I can hear people gearing up to give me a rash over this) I found it fairly creepy to have so many women hitting so hard on my character. (Lucy being the worst.) Before people start screaming at me for being a homophobe: nothing could be further from the truth. One thing I DID like about FONV is that it DID provide options for same-sex relationships, which I think are long overdue. However, I think it only fair I hold women to the same standards as men, and I find unsubtle beat-you-over-the-head come-ons to be creepy whether they come from men or women, thanks.

Also something that I just found plain disturbing: your one available het encounter is with the guy who blew your brains out, and that doesn't even count for any particular achievement (unless you somehow steal his gun, Maria, which is nearly impossible). (Also: What misogynistic mind thought of THAT disgusting little twist?)

Again, I am very glad there are same-sex options in FONV. I just think it's only fair that gameplay should be equal opportunity no matter what gender and sexual preference you want to play. If you lock out one content arc because of an MC's gender, then provide something equal and exclusive, preferably one that allows you to earn equivalent achievements. Fallout 4 did a MUCH better job in that regard, and I enjoyed it far more overall because of that. I didn't have any content locked off because I was female; I didn't have any companions denied to me because I was female, and no NPC or companion did the constant, creepy come-on bit. The constant 'have to go save settlements' was annoying, but I enjoyed the crafting more and I *definitely* enjoyed not being forced to play a gender and sexual orientation that I don't want to play just so I can get certain content.
steelpanther24 wrote: BTW, I did not that you are a premium member, but I hope you do support the modders of your choice through Patreon or other methods of support.
Jasonmodder wrote: :3

I don't mind self-entitled people saying how they would do things, especially with modding a game because.....well.....you can mod the game yourself. There are many companions (with voice acting and a backstory) and some may even designed for heterosexual women. I know both Mass Effect and Dragon Age had a plethora of hetro women oriented mods, some of which I thought were fun to play. I have not looked for such mods for FO4, so I can't recommend any.

That is the point of modding. You can fix what you think is wrong with the game. Many people love FONV and are looking forward to F4NV, though being a mod.......some things will go missing. Of course, you could just be trying to get your point across to the modders of F4NV, asking someone else to solve your problem.

BTW, did you enjoy FO3? It was pretty much gender less, it didn't matter which sex you played because it was the same thing. That would be the easiest thing to do is to have Pat (the gender less grandparent of the MC in FO2, which had you played FO1, that would have been your character), but it makes the game boring on multiple playthroughs.. Personally, I love the element of romance in the games, especially as Bioware did them in DAO and ME3. Edited by steelpanther24

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #67398216. #67432636 is also a reply to the same post.

NocturnalWrites wrote: There was a lot about FONV I liked. I've never come across a villain group in a game that I hated as much as I hated the Legion. I went to great lengths to cultivate a vilified reputation with the Legion (and ONLY the Legion) just so I could meet the assassins, kill and mutilate them. I laughed the whole time. I hated the Fiends almost as much and treated them the same way. As a female gamer, I thoroughly enjoyed playing a woman who was ripping apart these abusive rapists and child molesters. *flips the bird to Caesar 'Toss My Salad, You Misogynistic Jerk*

OTOH, FONV left a LOT to be desired if you chose to play a female MC. For one, half the Legion content (if you could stoop so low) wasn't available at all because you're female. Okay; I get that's part of the Legion backstory, but understand, it forces me to have to play a male MC, which I just cannot do. I've tried playing male MCs and no matter how good the game supposedly was, I just couldn't get interested. The game designers should have at least provided some other content that's equal. Fair is fair, and at least you could earn the achievements.

Also, anyone wishing to play a heterosexual (not bisexual, thanks) female character got screwed over in the content department in other ways as well. (And no, I can't play a bisexual woman any more than I can play a man. Just my preference.) For one, you literally cannot earn the achievement of sleeping with a prostitute because none of the male prostitues sleep with women. At all. (Go figure that one.) Caveat: Apparently, there is one, if you choose him for Francine, but I chose Old Ben because he seemed less slimy. Unfortunately, whether by design or by a bug, Old Ben will not sleep with the PC. Also, it makes hardcore a LOT more difficult because there's no male lovers whose beds you can use for the well rested bonus (or even to rest, period.) Also, there was almost a complete and utter lack of anyone heterosexual or even bisexual and male upon which to use the Black Widow perk. There were many, many more options available for the Confirmed Bachelor or Cherchez la Femme perks. It's like the designers never once entered the 21st century and realized that, duh, women do game and duh, we don't want special treatment, but we would like to be able to play the game to the same depth that every other choice can.

So, I'm very interested in seeing if they're going to add more romantic options for players who want to play heterosexual women. Frankly, I found FONV to be damned boring compared to Fallout 4 in that regard. I have a minimal interest in loot, so Lucy at the Thorn, for example, was a great big 'meh' for me. Ditto Sarah, who was good only for increasing my Strip fame. Also (and I can hear people gearing up to give me a rash over this) I found it fairly creepy to have so many women hitting so hard on my character. (Lucy being the worst.) Before people start screaming at me for being a homophobe: nothing could be further from the truth. One thing I DID like about FONV is that it DID provide options for same-sex relationships, which I think are long overdue. However, I think it only fair I hold women to the same standards as men, and I find unsubtle beat-you-over-the-head come-ons to be creepy whether they come from men or women, thanks.

Also something that I just found plain disturbing: your one available het encounter is with the guy who blew your brains out, and that doesn't even count for any particular achievement (unless you somehow steal his gun, Maria, which is nearly impossible). (Also: What misogynistic mind thought of THAT disgusting little twist?)

Again, I am very glad there are same-sex options in FONV. I just think it's only fair that gameplay should be equal opportunity no matter what gender and sexual preference you want to play. If you lock out one content arc because of an MC's gender, then provide something equal and exclusive, preferably one that allows you to earn equivalent achievements. Fallout 4 did a MUCH better job in that regard, and I enjoyed it far more overall because of that. I didn't have any content locked off because I was female; I didn't have any companions denied to me because I was female, and no NPC or companion did the constant, creepy come-on bit. The constant 'have to go save settlements' was annoying, but I enjoyed the crafting more and I *definitely* enjoyed not being forced to play a gender and sexual orientation that I don't want to play just so I can get certain content.
steelpanther24 wrote: I don't mind self-entitled people saying how they would do things, especially with modding a game because.....well.....you can mod the game yourself. There are many companions (with voice acting and a backstory) and some may even designed for heterosexual women. I know both Mass Effect and Dragon Age had a plethora of hetro women oriented mods, some of which I thought were fun to play. I have not looked for such mods for FO4, so I can't recommend any.

That is the point of modding. You can fix what you think is wrong with the game. Many people love FONV and are looking forward to F4NV, though being a mod.......some things will go missing. Of course, you could just be trying to get your point made.

BTW, did you enjoy FO3? It was pretty much gender less, it didn't matter which sex you played because it was the same thing. That would be the easiest thing to do is to have Pat (the gender less grandparent of the MC in FO2, which had you played FO1, that would have been your character). Personally, I love the element of romance in the games, especially as Bioware did them in DAO and ME3.

BTW, I did not that you are a premium member, but I hope you do support the modders of your choice through Patreon or other methods of support. Edited by steelpanther24

In response to post #67398216. #67432636, #67432861 are all replies on the same post.

steelpanther24 wrote: I don't mind self-entitled people saying how they would do things, especially with modding a game because.....well.....you can mod the game yourself. There are many companions (with voice acting and a backstory) and some may even designed for heterosexual women. I know both Mass Effect and Dragon Age had a plethora of hetro women oriented mods, some of which I thought were fun to play. I have not looked for such mods for FO4, so I can't recommend any.

That is the point of modding. You can fix what you think is wrong with the game. Many people love FONV and are looking forward to F4NV, though being a mod.......some things will go missing. Of course, you could just be trying to get your point made.

BTW, did you enjoy FO3? It was pretty much gender less, it didn't matter which sex you played because it was the same thing. That would be the easiest thing to do is to have Pat (the gender less grandparent of the MC in FO2, which had you played FO1, that would have been your character). Personally, I love the element of romance in the games, especially as Bioware did them in DAO and ME3.
steelpanther24 wrote: BTW, I did not that you are a premium member, but I hope you do support the modders of your choice through Patreon or other methods of support.

:3

In response to post #67020241. #67021001, #67065011, #67150896, #67359291, #67361516, #67418816 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote: Question - Will the original Fallout 4 be required in order to play Fallout 4 New Vegas whenever it releases? If so, that's fine since I have Fallout 4 alongside the Season Pass. Thanks.
kesw12 wrote: yes it will its a mod.......
ff7legend wrote: Just making for sure. I have FO4 & the Season Pass so no issue with that regardless.
metalmouth7 wrote: Fallout 4 with all of its DLC will be required, alongside Fallout: New Vegas with all of its DLC as well.
niston wrote: Wait... If the project recreates all the assets on their own, why should FO:NV even be required?
ShannonN13 wrote: Voice acting.
Reytholian wrote: They're recreating all of New Vegas from the ground up, that includes the voice acting. Only Fallout 4 and its DLC will be required.

the voiceovers are original,

the capital wasteland mod shut down because of legal threats for using FO3's audio lines (although I heard they recentley re-opened, which makes me happy, if not hopeful)

In response to post #67043901. #67067226, #67073916, #67108236, #67132211, #67150876, #67318856, #67337471, #67341146, #67347776, #67369401, #67390156, #67409096 are all replies on the same post.

tjrna wrote: I cannot wait to see what this turns out as. I'm just worried about what Bethesda/Obsidian might do if they decide they don't want to allow it.
SSJRiou wrote: other gigantic mod projects like enderal haven't been shut down so I wouldn't think so, but this is sort of "stealing content" from new vegas instead of "creating new content", but... just putting it on another bethesda game?
at the very least, bethesda can benefit from this because I'm sure there's a number of people that own or have played new vegas but didn't want to play 4
Sazie wrote: Yeah, if they take away this. They won't really benefit from it, since I know a few New Vegas players would love this!
NicotineCaffeine wrote: And besides, it should be OBSIDIAN that could have something to say on the content, not bethesda.
AzerDraco wrote: There is precedent here.

"A Tale of Two Wastelands" did exactly this same thing, porting FO3 into FO:NV engine.
At the most, I would expect the need for an actual copy of FO:NV to be installed, just like TTW needs an install of FO3.

That being said, if the team is actually going through and recreating FO:NV in the new engine without using any of the old assets (voices, music, meshes, etc.), then this project would be more akin to the New California mod released for the FO:NV engine.
metalmouth7 wrote: Porting content from Fallout: New Vegas to Fallout 4 is a violation of the EULA for both titles, and as such constitutes piracy.
NicotineCaffeine wrote: Not if the owners give you the authorization. (which for bethesda i have some doubts, but anyway...)
Kiljoy616 wrote: I doubt Obsidian would not welcome it considering after not been happy with what they did with New Vegas they brought a mod to fix it the way they had intended to be. Bethesda lives because of Mods if not their games long ago would have been forgotten. Lets not forget the mess 76 has become I doubt the company would be so bold to piss off the fan's that buy their games again and again. Plus mods like this is why they still get sales of the originals.
NicotineCaffeine wrote: AND, i would add, if they won't put the original voices of Danny Trejo, Felicia Day, Zachary Levi, and so on, i'm not even interested on this project, becouse it wouldn't have much sense.
syphek wrote: None of it is a port, they're recreating everything by hand using FO4 and custom assets, meaning that it will be just as legal as any other current fallout 4 mod. Fallout 3 in Fallout 4 ran into legality issues using the voice acting assets directly from FO3. Since they're using existing FO4 assets, custom built assets, custom voice acing, etc... they don't cross any legal bounds.
NicotineCaffeine wrote: I repeat, in case i haven't made myself clear: if you replace the original voiceacting for fallout new vegas more than the 50% of the game is ruined. Period. Especially becouse those guys aren't just the average random guy taken just for some voice acting, you know... And then what, they replace the voice of Mr.New Vegas and Yesman too? I mean, seriously? Better not even start doing things like this if then you have to "compromise" this way.
infinitywulf wrote: You might want to listen to the voice acting before being so quick to judge. I've heard a few previews of voice acting for several mods like this and the quality tends to be really high, I mean if you are doing a high quality remake mod where you've remade all the assets, systems, etc to make it work well do you really think they're going to get to the end and go, "Voice actors? Bah we'll use crappy you tube sound clips."
The clip at the top of the page in fact uses their own voice actor for Doc Mitchell. It isn't exactly the same, but if you didn't know it was another voice actor you probably wouldn't notice it.
NicotineCaffeine wrote: I did. When i heard it the first time i thought: "Hm.. it seems... Different... Maybe i remember wrong." It seems not. And i'm not saying that there isn't around not-pro guys that aren't skilled such as pros. I'm only saying that those voices were something peculiar, i can understand remake graphic assets, but there's a limit. And besides, why don't put the file path to the fonv data files for some things..That would not be illegal, i guess, since if an user does not have the original game it wouldn't able to use that file...?

fallout 3 in fallout 4 ran into the issue that they were threatened with lawsuits NO ASSETS can be ported from fonv into fo4 without perm from Bethesda so they have to do everything from scratch including voice acting. Im not particularly fond of replacing the original voice acting, however a project as ambitious as this one ill give them some leeway. The fo4 engine will more than makeup for the minor changes they must make in making this project viable. Remember there doing something we want and Bethesda doesn't want, if Bethesda was concerned with our wants they would have done this already and charged us $60 for it but they dont think its worth their time. We should simply be saying thank you to the wonderful gentlemen (possibly some ladies) who are making this possible for us I have been dreaming of a remake of fallout nv for years now it is and always will be my favorite game of all time.

'Fallout 4: The Capital Wasteland' and 'Skywind' are still going strong.
(Road to Liberty didn't even get threatened by Bethesda, by which I mean they changed course before Bethesda even officially knew (A guy in RtL had asked a guy in Bethesda if porting audio is okay). As far as I understand, Bethesda's hands are tied as far a voices go, their contracts likely only allows for thier use in a specific game.)
(and Skywind has posts on it's reddit showing things being worked on, if you were asking if they'd disappeared within the last three or four months.

I WOULD PAY 40 DOLLARS FOR THAT THING.........if i had the money BUT HOLY CRAP THAT IS AMAZING. Im a big fallout new vegas player, and i love seeing it rebuilt in fallout 4. The engine in fallout 4 makes it really great, how all the textures and meshes work so nicely together. I cant wait to see this released fully and completely done.