Files changed outside of vortex

dizietemblesssma

Having just updated a mod, simsettlements - conqueror, I get the 'files changed outside vortex' dialogue, this makes no sense to me because this mod has only ever been installed using vortex. The screenshot should illustrate:

The feedback function of 0.17.1 seems not to work for me so here are my 'about' details:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my previous post, I just updated a mod in FONV and again I'm given the dialogue for files changed outside of vortex even though all three mods have only been installed using vortex. In fact I seem to get this dialogue concerning the Darnui and oHud mods everytime I install/uninstall any mod in FONV! And this has been happening using 0.16.15 as well as 0.17.1.

Note the timestamps, the local time here is after 11pm.

Further to my previous post, I just updated a mod in FONV and again I'm given the dialogue for files changed outside of vortex even though all three mods have only been installed using vortex. In fact I seem to get this dialogue concerning the Darnui and oHud mods everytime I install/uninstall any mod in FONV! And this has been happening using 0.16.15 as well as 0.17.1.

attachicon.gif files_changed2_details.jpg

Note the timestamps, the local time here is after 11pm.

This is normal behavior and not an error. As HadToRegister has said, always click "Save."

I have the same UI mods installed on FONV that you do, and I get the same response you do when installing/uninstalling. Also, I get this response when making changes in the MCM. I just click "Save" and move on.

It doesn't matter that the UI mods were installed with Vortex. Certain changes made to these mods through MCM and/or installing/uninstalling certain other mods trigger changes that Vortex reads as external. I don't know the techniclal reasons for this. I just know it happens. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain those technical reasons.

This is normal behavior and not an error. As HadToRegister has said, always click "Save."

I have the same UI mods installed on FONV that you do, and I get the same response you do when installing/uninstalling. Also, I get this response when making changes in the MCM. I just click "Save" and move on.

Well this makes some sense with FONV where I do have UIO. But my initial post was about FO4 and updating a simsettlements conqueror mod. The dialogue popped up during the update so I hadn't had opportunity to launch the game where something like MCM might change file timestamps. The advice to always save bothers me in _this instance_ because as an update of the sim settlements conqueror mod surely I want the new files, not the version of the files that vortex thinks have happened outside of itself and presumably are older versions than the updated mod - which I am in the middle of installing?

Well this makes some sense with FONV where I do have UIO. But my initial post was about FO4 and updating a simsettlements conqueror mod. The dialogue popped up during the update so I hadn't had opportunity to launch the game where something like MCM might change file timestamps. The advice to always save bothers me in _this instance_ because as an update of the sim settlements conqueror mod surely I want the new files, not the version of the files that vortex thinks have happened outside of itself and presumably are older versions than the updated mod - which I am in the middle of installing?

Vortex only notifies you of file changes the next time it deploys something, it can be totally unrealted to the mod you're updating.

Vortex only notifies you of file changes the next time it deploys something, it can be totally unrealted to the mod you're updating.

Indeed, but the first screenshot I posted show that the files in question are from the mod I was updating, hence my concern about always 'saving' changes made outside of vortex, since that would imply accepting the state of files before updating. That is why I went for 'use newer file'.

As an aside can I just confirm the nomenclature:

Deployed means existing files, yes?

Staged means files that vortex has just unpacked, yes?

The problem is that there are three options for actions - save, revert, use newer; but only two lists of files are shown, making it unclear what the result of 'save' or 'revert' is; newer being discoverable from the displayed timestamps.

Indeed, but the first screenshot I posted show that the files in question are from the mod I was updating, hence my concern about always 'saving' changes made outside of vortex, since that would imply accepting the state of files before updating. That is why I went for 'use newer file'.

As an aside can I just confirm the nomenclature:

Deployed means existing files, yes?

Staged means files that vortex has just unpacked, yes?

The problem is that there are three options for actions - save, revert, use newer; but only two lists of files are shown, making it unclear what the result of 'save' or 'revert' is; newer being discoverable from the displayed timestamps.

Deployed means the Hardlink from the Staged Mod (the textures, meshes, BA2, BSA, ESP extracted from the 7z file and physically placed in the Mod Staging Folder) have been activated and it creates a link that links the physical Mod in the Staging Folder, to the Data folder in the game.

For SAVE when a file is edited outside Vortex.

I get this a lot, usually with 90% of my load order because I load up the ESPs in Xedit, and I'll run something like an Xedit script that adds sorting tag prefixes to the items in the ESP.

I prefer when updating a mod, to uninstall the old mod and install the new one, I've found the "Versioning" in Vortex where you can tell Vortex from a drop-down to use the newer updated version of a mod "Wanting"

Here is another example to illustrate my concern, just now approx. 1:40am localtime I noticed an update for 'jip ln nvse' and chose to update and replace in vortex, I received the following dialogue:

note how the save option is to use the 'deployed' files,

choosing 'show individual files' I see this:

do you see how the 'save' option is to use the deployed file, even though looking at jip_nvse.dll the deployed version appears to be older than the 'staged' version. I would guess that being in the middle of updating 'jip ln nvse' I would want the new version of the dll - which the save option would not give me.

I'm assuming that the xml files are due to oHud - darnified patch, as mentioned earlier. In fact in some caes the newer files are in the deployed list, and other newer files are in the staged list.

I'm not sure a rule of 'always save' is going to give the results desired.