Files changed outside of vortex

dizietemblesssma

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAVE will apply the CHANGED file, meaning the updated one.

If you notice the STAGED file has an older Date, the DEPLOYED (Updated) file has the newer date, so if you SAVE then Vortex is applying the UPDATED file.

HI, I admit to being confused, in my screenshots _some_ of the files had the staged file as newer than the deployed i.e. the opposite to how you describe it above.

Also I got the impression that deployed files were the existing hardlinks (i.e. previous version irrespective of datestamp) and the staged files were the files ready to be written over the deployed files (i.e. old hardlink removed and new one made).

It is the prescence of the former that leads me to be cautious of simply saving by default.

Well, I made the mistake of picking REVERT and I undid everything I had that was working.
After that, I just always pick save.

The xml files are going to be written to every startup if you're using UIO because that's what UIO does, so you're going to have to go through this every time you deploy any mods.
When I play FONV with UIO I always tell Vortex to SAVE the file because it Always gets written to when I start the game, so it will always be the newest file on my system

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the uninstall of a mod I want to make, but I don't understand the new choice that comes up as default with the newest Vortex update from a few days ago. Sorry, but from reading here and under the "external changes" topic, I still don't understand exactly what I should choose. I need to be very careful with this mod's uninstall as it is huge and I plan to reinstall it later.

from the External Changes box, I get "FNIS Data (Default)" and the default selection is "Use newer file"

If I want to uninstall a mod, what in the world does "Use newer file" even mean?? What makes sense to me is the "Save all changes" option. That I understand! I am making changes with the uninstall and I want the changes saved.

Could you please explain what a newer file would be in this case? Normally the default choice is the suggested one, but I sure would think it wouldn't ever apply during an uninstall of a mod.

I have a question about the uninstall of a mod I want to make, but I don't understand the new choice that comes up as default with the newest Vortex update from a few days ago. Sorry, but from reading here and under the "external changes" topic, I still don't understand exactly what I should choose. I need to be very careful with this mod's uninstall as it is huge and I plan to reinstall it later.

from the External Changes box, I get "FNIS Data (Default)" and the default selection is "Use newer file"

If I want to uninstall a mod, what in the world does "Use newer file" even mean?? What makes sense to me is the "Save all changes" option. That I understand! I am making changes with the uninstall and I want the changes saved.

Could you please explain what a newer file would be in this case? Normally the default choice is the suggested one, but I sure would think it wouldn't ever apply during an uninstall of a mod.

Vortex only mentions mods that have been changed externally whenever it deploys.

I hope that you're not uninstalling FNIS on an existing save, because that save will no longer be playable.

I'm guessing you have the "Run FNIS on Deployment Event" turned on in SETTINGS------>INTERFACE?

You should turn that off, I use FNIS and have never had that turned on.

That notification may not even relate to the mod you're uninstalling, that notification pops up when a DEPLOY takes place.

What it means is that something outside of Vortex has changed some of the files (I get that message when I edit an ESP with Xedit, or when a Script Extender Mod writes to an INI file etc.

You should always pick SAVE CHANGES

Hi, thanks for the reply! (I need FNIS, so I definitely don't plan to uninstall it.) :)

I have never been in settings, so yes "Run FNIS on Deployment Event" was default set to ON, so now I have it off. Thanks.

I might have forgotten, but until this last update, I really thought the selection was default to "Save All Changes"....I wonder why it got changed to default of "Use Newer File"....

I will manually change it to "Save All Changes" from now on...if it comes up...the last few animations I have installed, the box didn't even pop up. I thought it was popping up when it knew that that mod needed to use FNIS.

thanks for the help!

Hi, thanks for the reply! (I need FNIS, so I definitely don't plan to uninstall it.) :smile:

I have never been in settings, so yes "Run FNIS on Deployment Event" was default set to ON, so now I have it off. Thanks.

I might have forgotten, but until this last update, I really thought the selection was default to "Save All Changes"....I wonder why it got changed to default of "Use Newer File"....

I will manually change it to "Save All Changes" from now on...if it comes up...the last few animations I have installed, the box didn't even pop up. I thought it was popping up when it knew that that mod needed to use FNIS.

thanks for the help!

Glad it's working out.

As far as "Use Newer File" goes, I experienced that today when I updated a Mod.

Vortex saw two of the same ESP, but knew that one was an update that I told Vortex to REPLACE the mod it was updating, and that's when the "Use Newer FIle" option came up, and I left it at that default, because I did want to use the Newer (updated) ESP

• 5 months later...

Recently this prompt was shown to me for my FNV mod list, I gave it little thought and just clicked on save changes. After that I tried starting the game up, and then it crashes. I'm not sure what to do, or if the game crashing is even the fault of Vortex. Is there anyway to help this and possibly revert the changes?

Recently this prompt was shown to me for my FNV mod list, I gave it little thought and just clicked on save changes. After that I tried starting the game up, and then it crashes. I'm not sure what to do, or if the game crashing is even the fault of Vortex. Is there anyway to help this and possibly revert the changes?

What it does for me in Skyrim SE is that if I choose use newer or save changes, Vortex just decides to delete the files in question. Now I have to copy my backup files back into the data folder every time Vortex has deployed the mods.

So, in case your problem is the same, have a look at your files to see if they are all still there.