Files changed outside of vortex

dizietemblesssma

Recently this prompt was shown to me for my FNV mod list, I gave it little thought and just clicked on save changes. After that I tried starting the game up, and then it crashes. I'm not sure what to do, or if the game crashing is even the fault of Vortex. Is there anyway to help this and possibly revert the changes?

What it does for me in Skyrim SE is that if I choose use newer or save changes, Vortex just decides to delete the files in question. Now I have to copy my backup files back into the data folder every time Vortex has deployed the mods.

So, in case your problem is the same, have a look at your files to see if they are all still there.

At great personal risk - I have to say you are not correct.

If you say Save, vortex merges whatever changes it finds back into your mod.

If a texture changed outside of Vortex - that changed texture gets written back to the mod.

If a texture is deleted outside of Vortex, that texture is deleted from the mod.

Note: These are only changes to the mod staging folder. If you select Reinstall on the mod dropdown, the mod is refreshed from the archive in Vortex Downloads.

All is as it was. There has to be a Latin equivalent for that...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently this prompt was shown to me for my FNV mod list, I gave it little thought and just clicked on save changes. After that I tried starting the game up, and then it crashes. I'm not sure what to do, or if the game crashing is even the fault of Vortex. Is there anyway to help this and possibly revert the changes?

What it does for me in Skyrim SE is that if I choose use newer or save changes, Vortex just decides to delete the files in question. Now I have to copy my backup files back into the data folder every time Vortex has deployed the mods.

So, in case your problem is the same, have a look at your files to see if they are all still there.

At great personal risk - I have to say you are not correct.

If you say Save, vortex merges whatever changes it finds back into your mod.

If a texture changed outside of Vortex - that changed texture gets written back to the mod.

If a texture is deleted outside of Vortex, that texture is deleted from the mod.

Note: These are only changes to the mod staging folder. If you select Reinstall on the mod dropdown, the mod is refreshed from the archive in Vortex Downloads.

All is as it was. There has to be a Latin equivalent for that...

Well, I guess it's a positive thing that Vortex isn't deleting everyone's mods. I'll just keep dealing with the problem until it gets fixed. It didn't happen before I updated Vortex to 0.18.16.

Well, I guess it's a positive thing that Vortex isn't deleting everyone's mods. I'll just keep dealing with the problem until it gets fixed. It didn't happen before I updated Vortex to 0.18.16.

Where is your MOD folder, and where is your MOD Staging Folder?

Whatever the default setting is. So, {USERDATA}\{GAME}\mods

And you game is on the same drive as the Mod Staging Folder, and you're using HARD LINK Deployment?

And you game is on the same drive as the Mod Staging Folder, and you're using HARD LINK Deployment?

It is on the same drive. Hardlink deployment is on, I believe that was the default setting as well.

It is on the same drive. Hardlink deployment is on, I believe that was the default setting as well.

Hmmm, I'm still using 0.18.12

I wonder if the problem has cropped up in 0.18.16

Best to send a bug report to be safe.

Click the three vertical dots next to your avatar in Vortex and pick SEND FEEDBACK and then BUG REPORT

Hmmm, I'm still using 0.18.12

I wonder if the problem has cropped up in 0.18.16

Best to send a bug report to be safe.

Click the three vertical dots next to your avatar in Vortex and pick SEND FEEDBACK and then BUG REPORT

Yeah that's the first thing I did. Wrote the report and clicked send, so I guess it went somewhere useful. At least for me the problem only started with this version. I tend to always update Vortex when it offers an update. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Yeah that's the first thing I did. Wrote the report and clicked send, so I guess it went somewhere useful. At least for me the problem only started with this version. I tend to always update Vortex when it offers an update. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

With the problems that 0.18.x seemed to have from the start I turned off Automatic Updates, and now only update after a week or more but only if I don't see any support threads for the newest version.

I'm sticking with 0.18.12 for now