Files changed outside of vortex

dizietemblesssma

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Santala

What happens if you roll back to 0.18.12? Does the problem disappear?

Would downloading the old version and installing it on top of the new be the right way to do this? Would that keep all the mods and settings the way they are now?

@Santala

What happens if you roll back to 0.18.12? Does the problem disappear?

Would downloading the old version and installing it on top of the new be the right way to do this? Would that keep all the mods and settings the way they are now?

That's the way I've always done a roll back and have had no problems. But, like yourself, I always keep backups as insurance.

Right, I installed the old version and tested things out. First I tried using the new version one last time to see how consistent this problem was (so far it has happened on every time Vortex deployed files). This time Vortex didn't delete the mods that it was asking about, but it did upon deployment move the modified mods to the end of the load order, among a mod I was installing at the time. Manually clicking on the sort button did put all the mods at their right place. Clearly not as serious problem as deleting files this time, but still odd behavior.

On the 0.18.12 version I did the same thing and no files were deleted or moved in load orders. It works like it has always done.

Right, I installed the old version and tested things out. First I tried using the new version one last time to see how consistent this problem was (so far it has happened on every time Vortex deployed files). This time Vortex didn't delete the mods that it was asking about, but it did upon deployment move the modified mods to the end of the load order, among a mod I was installing at the time. Manually clicking on the sort button did put all the mods at their right place. Clearly not as serious problem as deleting files this time, but still odd behavior.

On the 0.18.12 version I did the same thing and no files were deleted or moved in load orders. It works like it has always done.

That's good news about 0.18.12. As for sorting after deployment, I have auto-sort enabled. So I have never noticed what would happen to plugin load order after an external changes deployment if auto-sorting were disabled.

Given your experience with 0.18.16, I'm going to pay closer attention to how Vortex handles external changes. So far I've had no problems, but I'm going to stay alert, just in case.

That's good news about 0.18.12. As for sorting after deployment, I have auto-sort enabled. So I have never noticed what would happen to plugin load order after an external changes deployment if auto-sorting were disabled.

Given your experience with 0.18.16, I'm going to pay closer attention to how Vortex handles external changes. So far I've had no problems, but I'm going to stay alert, just in case.

I guess I should have mentioned that I do have auto-sorting enabled. Always had it on so I forgot that there's an option to not have it. So the mods being put at the end was certainly unexpected.

With a problem as severe as files being deleted, it was very easy for me to notice something was off simply by trying to load my Skyrim save and being told that the two mods I had modified were missing. Will have to keep an eye out in the future for smaller things as well though, like the load order. And I'm going to backup files even more diligently now.

Your willingness to experiment to find a fix, as well as your detailed comments about what you did and tried, are really appreciated. :)

• 1 year later...

Well, I made the mistake of picking REVERT and I undid everything I had that was working.

After that, I just always pick save.

The xml files are going to be written to every startup if you're using UIO because that's what UIO does, so you're going to have to go through this every time you deploy any mods.

When I play FONV with UIO I always tell Vortex to SAVE the file because it Always gets written to when I start the game, so it will always be the newest file on my system

Hi, I have a question to that cause I made the same mistake but Vortex now doesn't ask for it again and I can find a way to undo this and pick save

Guest deleted34304850

well you wont find an option to undo anything because revert is actually the undo operation. you cannot undo an undo.

well you wont find an option to undo anything because revert is actually the undo operation. you cannot undo an undo.

So what do I do now ? Because Vortex is not aksing and I want t mod my game. Do I have to reinstall Vortex or something ?