SOLUTION: Install Scrap Everything without the option "Disappearing Objects - Terrain Fix"!

First encounter with this issue came after trying to play the game after an extended period of time. Thought it was related to outdated mods, which, after some research, proved to be almost every single one on the list. Reinstalled entire game, redownloaded mods, fixed things up proper and played for around 100 hours with zero issues. However, launching the game today, no changes made whatsoever since last night's session, got this issue to return.

Perhaps I'm searching for the improper keywords (please assist if you can, so that this thread can be improved) but have not encountered a single complaint of this happening next to an imgur album portraying it, seemingly related to a settlement mod, as it has been only reproduced when the camera hit one of the settlement objects.
Album, made by imgur user Astantos can be found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/GcNrH
However, my issue at present seems to be happening in an area untouched by mods.

Things I assume could be causing this if we disregard the mods which seem to have been working flawlessly for the past week or so and no changes in that field have been made:
- Driver update.
- Nvidia control panel settings (although reverting to default did not seem to resolve it)
- External ini edits (similar to the above, regenerating the files achieved no changes)
- Game progression, but reloading to an earlier save now will cause the same issue in the same exterior location.

Another symptom I have noted prior to reinstalling the game was transparency of certain objects, as will be portrayed in the upcoming screenshots. Potentially a light/shadow issue setting?

Things that have been done to resolve the issue but resulted in failure:
- Reinstalling the game
- Reinstalling the mods (redundant ones removed)

- Verifying the integrity of the game cache
- Regenerating default .ini files
- Resetting all settings
- Tested multiple recommended settings found in "guides"
- Optimizing with Nvidia GeForce experience (don't do this if you have an ultrawide monitor, some ui stretching cannot be remedied by either DefUI or ultrawide mods)

Screenshots under the spoiler (Vault 88 ones are prior to the reinstallation, note the transparency of the ceiling light fixture)

Video in which the most recent encounter of the issue has been recorded (please excuse the quality, I am not proficient with Shadowplay):

Currently out of ideas. Thank you for any and all suggestions in advance! Will update thread with new findings if any appear in the meantime.
For now, I will try to proceed playing without turning around.

Load order attached Could not attach the .txt file normally, so here's a link. Note that everything works proper, even all workshop items appear as intended. Edited by necromunchy

That visual glitch is mainly caused by vram issues when your gpu is under a lot of stress; the gpu is struggling to render everything that the game engine is telling it to, hence your noticing it when you move/rotate the camera.

Usually this only happens with either really weak gpu's that barely meet the system requirements of Fallout4, or if you've overdone texture overhauls (especially 4k textures)

What are your system specs? You should follow this guide by Tapoiks to ensure that you have Fallout4 set up to use your gpu memory optimally:

Using ENB in this way will not negatively impact your gameplay experience.

Ensure that you switch off any unnecessary programs* running in the background whilst playing, they'll be hogging system resources & could be contributing to the issue.

* things such as anti virus/malware/spyware software, overlay stuff from Steam, Nvidia etc. The author of ENB (Boris) has a list on the ENB page of more culprits.

Thank you for the reply, AGreatWeight. This is very strange as I do have a system which fits the game's requirements.
Dxdiag info under the spoiler.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
16384MB RAM
Windows 10 Pro (Build 17134), 64-bit system
Around 1TB of space left on the hard drive.

I already am using ENBoost. Additional processes which are running in the background are steam, discord and a pointless aesthetic thing called MysticLight. Nvidia shadowplay during the video.
No fps loss whatsoever, aside when using default-generated ini files. Quality always "ultra".

Just to clarify, this has really never happened before, already went through 10 playthroughs and now just playing for the sake of simulating The Sims feeling in the wasteland.

FIXED!

In a rather silly train of thought, my mind went "this is likely what the void looking back feels like" and remembered a certain sentence from the mod Scrap Everything :

scrap_everything_options.png

Reinstalled that mod without "Disappearing Objects - Terrain Fix" option and voila!
No more void staring back at you!

Haven't quite figured out how to edit the title to add the "resolved" prefix but will edit the initial post with the solution.
Hope this will help!

• 2 years later...

FIXED!

In a rather silly train of thought, my mind went "this is likely what the void looking back feels like" and remembered a certain sentence from the mod Scrap Everything :

scrap_everything_options.png

Reinstalled that mod without "Disappearing Objects - Terrain Fix" option and voila!

No more void staring back at you!

Haven't quite figured out how to edit the title to add the "resolved" prefix but will edit the initial post with the solution.

Hope this will help!

THANK YOU!! This was driving me nuts

Edited by SCHEUERMAN2

I had the exact problem with a game awhile back. I had one person respond, but they had no idea what was causing it. I also had Scrap Everything and also had the disappearing objects terrain fix and was running about 350 mods (lots of texture mods) I have more than enough of the required system needs. I am glad someone figured it out. Now I can reinstall Scrap Everything. Nevertheless, I am now having issues with massive stuttering that I have been trying to solve for the past week or so. I have removed 80 or so mods, redone the base game textures and added some of my own preferences, tried every optimization mod, and I have tried everything that Google had to throw at me. I will have a stutter free experience for 2-3 days and without adding anything or changing settings, and then out of no where, stutter. I have not seen any throttling when I benchmark my GPU and CPU, but in my in game overlay that I use for testing, it appears that the game is throttling at time. Very frustrating as I cannot come up with a fix, and if I build any settlement, the throttling will suddenly start or get worse. I must be a masochist.

If you look up the definition of a Love-hate relationship, one of the definitions is playing Fallout 4.

This game sometimes makes me want to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

People shouldn't use scrap everything or any other scrap mod. It breaks precombines, it increases the system stress and takes away a lot of fps. It does a huge performance hit specially in downtown areas that have lots of buildings. I'd suggest using Place Everywhere, it doesn't break precombines. You can't remove some objects, but you can move them around.

If you still want to have cleaner settlements and have a good system, I'd suggest using Clean and Simple - Settlement Startup. It breaks precombines, but just in the settlement grids. That means, if you don't install CAS for downtown settlements (Jamaica Plain, Hangman's Alley, Bunker Hill and Airport), you shouldn't have performance issues downtown. The areas away from downtown just suffer a minor fps hit, most systems can handle it just fine. CAS just do the job better than scrap mods. Just don't install the All in One, and avoid selecting the settlements I mentioned.

Edited by fgambler

People shouldn't use scrap everything or any other scrap mod. It breaks precombines, it increases the system stress and takes away a lot of fps. It does a huge performance hit specially in downtown areas that have lots of buildings. I'd suggest using Place Everywhere, it doesn't break precombines. You can't remove some objects, but you can move them around.

If you still want to have cleaner settlements and have a good system, I'd suggest using Clean and Simple - Settlement Startup. It breaks precombines, but just in the settlement grids. That means, if you don't install CAS for downtown settlements (Jamaica Plain, Hangman's Alley, Bunker Hill and Airport), you shouldn't have performance issues downtown. The areas away from downtown just suffer a minor fps hit, most systems can handle it just fine. CAS just do the job better than scrap mods. Just don't install the All in One, and avoid selecting the settlements I mentioned.

Scrap everything only breaks precombine in settlement areas. Outside of those, it doesn't touch 'em. Gotta be careful on install, on which options you select though.

Yes, but Hangman's Alley, Bunker Hill and Jamaica Plain are really problematic. It doesn't affect just the settlement borders, it's the size of the whole grid, and every time you face that area, you'll see the fps going down, and even graphical glitches can occur sometimes. Those are really heavy areas and should not have precombines disabled; Because of the position of those settlements, and the ugrids to load being generally set at five, breaking precombines there affect almost the whole downtown area. That's why I use CAS and Place Everywhere, so I can avoid 100% any chance of breaking anything in those settlements.

Edited by fgambler

Hhhmmm.... I use scrap everything, and don't have any performance issues in those areas. Oddly enough, I get weird visuals in places that Scrap everything doesn't even touch....... I would REALLY love to understand that one. (and that is in INTERIOR cells......)