I have absolutely zero confidence in TES 6.

ZakiTaki

Bethesda would be cool if they just made an awesome creation engine and see what modders do with it, maybe a sub service that every month adds new resources and licensed stuff?

?

Wait, you mean, they AREN'T doing that NOW???? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the IGN interview with Todd Howard, I'm getting this gut feeling that Starfield is going to be a live service. I wouldn't be too surprised TES VI will close off modding altogether for Creation Club only.

Pay close attention to when he talks about the lack of "engagement" with Skyrim and FO4 players in the video. The look of disdain for the modding scene is pretty telling.

After watching the IGN interview with Todd Howard, I'm getting this gut feeling that Starfield is going to be a live service. I wouldn't be too surprised TES VI will close off modding altogether for Creation Club only.

That is what I expect also. Starfield will probably release Fall 2021, get 2 years support. TES VI 2024 for the 30th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, will be incomplete like an early access game but with promise of significant post launch support.

No further mention has been made for 76 modding/private servers since before the game launched AFAIK where it was used as a selling point, I expect that either we will hear about it at E3 next week or it's very likely been cancelled if absolutely no mention is made of it. I think it's reasonable to expect that if it's still in fact coming that some comments should be made during E3, Todd usually does a bunch of interviews during E3 so somebody should be likely to ask about it(unless they are told by PR it's strictly off limits to ask about. Interviewers get briefed beforehand so as to avoid anything too controversial or will make the company look bad). Final Fantasy XV had promised a Level Editor/CK type program before launch only to cancel it later, conveniently for them they only mentioned this after people already would have bought XV on PC for it. Though Square-Enix is known to be dishonest, much more so than Bethesda.

Right now I feel uncertain if TES VI will have modding support. My expectation will depend in part on if they will keep their word about 76 modding support. It also depends how they handle it, it'd be bitter for people who bought the game if they say "sorry there won't be any modding support for 76 anymore but here is Nuclear Winter Battle Royale mode instead" but in a way it'd almost be worse if it's just never brought up again and they assume people will forget. I don't like 76, have not and probably will not buy the game(might consider it only if full modding support and self-hostable private servers are actually released and are decent) but I am waiting to see if they will keep their word about that.

Of course it's just an opinion but I don't see why they wouldn't allow modding in TES6. We can safely assume though that it wont be in the same capacity that we've been accustomed to.

Why not? The game *should* be single player..... Yeah, there will be creation club content, but, why would beth NOT release the ck, like they have done for every previous game since Morrowind? The free mods are what contribute to the games longevity. Do you think folks would still be playing morrowind, if there weren't mods?? Beth is going to be using the 64bit version of their 'updated' creation engine, so, I would fully expect the CK to release shortly after the game does.

By capacity, I mean capability. I probably should have reworded that. I suspect features to be removed, and new ones added but also hardcoded so they can't be changed, etc. Maybe it wont be possible to add custom textures, or texture replacements(oops) which kills the biggest category for modding right there. Maybe we can't make quests, bye bye quest mods.

I never said they wouldn't release the CK. They would be really stupid not to do so. Yeah the Creation Club is here to stay. Folks still play Morrowind for many years for more reasons than just modding. I still play it without mods, Morrowind is just..that good(as much as I don't want to admit it).

By capacity, I mean capability. I probably should have reworded that. I suspect features to be removed, and new ones added but also hardcoded so they can't be changed, etc. Maybe it wont be possible to add custom textures, or texture replacements(oops) which kills the biggest category for modding right there. Maybe we can't make quests, bye bye quest mods.

I never said they wouldn't release the CK. They would be really stupid not to do so. Yeah the Creation Club is here to stay. Folks still play Morrowind for many years for more reasons than just modding. I still play it without mods, Morrowind is just..that good(as much as I don't want to admit it).

Yeah, of all the TES series, Morrowind was certainly my favorite. :)

I expect the game will be more 'streamlined', as beth likes to call it, dumbed down is what I call it. I really don't expect they will nerf modding capabilities though...... as beth wants to make money off of those types of mods as well.

Watch for them to avoid telling you "no, you can't mod," then immediately turn around and make it as inconvenient as possible, including mod-breaking updates; until people find it easier just to buy a CC mod than to use a free one that keeps getting broken.

Yeah, I am sure CC updates ARE going to be an issue for the script extender folks, and any mods that use it...... Unless beth can come up with a better method of updates for 'new content'.... But, they said that they were going to do something before, and I don't recall seeing anything change.......

Trouble is, CC content is mostly just 'fluff', there aren't any overhauls, no real content of any consequence, nothing even approaching some of the work that 'free modders' put out..... (major quest mods, etc.) If you want the 'real' stuff, the GOOD stuff, ya gotta come here. (or similar sites.)