From Modder to Professional Level Designer - Interview and AMA

BigBizkit

In response to post #68786116. #68791881, #68829271 are all replies on the same post.

BowmoreLover wrote: Great interview! Dan's words had many insights for me. Thanks Dan and BigBizkit!
One question. Are you particularly concerned with the design of games offered worldwide (ie in multiple languages)? For example, including language-specific narratives, gestures, cultures, etc. can make it difficult for players in other languages to understand. On the other hand, there are situations where you want to use such design elements. For example, Square Enix is a Japanese company, did you have any such design requirements from them? (For example, considering the Asian market)
#Sorry for poor English, Google translated :P
dt1000 wrote: Hi there.
That is a great question. All the games I worked on have always been fully localised (even at Thunderbox our games are available in 11 different languages). The specific cultural stuff is an interesting question though. I know that the Assassin's Creed team in Montreal take a lot of care to use the correct cultural elements in their games when building a specific locale. At Sqaure Enix I was working on Hitman, so it wasn't really something that came up! :)
BowmoreLover wrote: Thank you for answering. It may be natural to think of your words "create something that will evoke an emotion in the player through levels." And we're enjoying games abroad, thanks to the efforts that designers, including you, have made. Awesome :)
I wish you success in your new projects. I think that board games that everyone can enjoy playing on tablets are definitely appealing to casual people.
Cheers!

Thought-provoking question :thumbsup:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #68793801. #68797826 is also a reply to the same post.

MrMedicinal wrote: What's the highlight of your career? (so far)

Is there any job, or specific segment of a project you're really proud of?

Assuming you have the free time, what games have you been playing recently?

Any upcoming video games you're looking forward to?

What's your all time favorite video game?

Thanks for even accepting community questions! Sorry for... Uh... Taking advantage. Wish you all the best!
dt1000 wrote: No worries - I am always happy to answer questions.

Career Highlight - my submarine-exploding Medal of Honor level getting a shout out on Venture Brothers.

And also being the top hit for "Level Design" on youtube! That was pretty surreal.

Something I am really proud of - the Neural Subnet sequence in Deus Ex Mankind Divided - System Rift... watching streamers play it, and seeing the look on their faces when they work out the final twist at the end is totally priceless! Also setting up the subversive direction for the crypts in Shadow of The Tomb Raider - I was lucky enough to have a team who really knocked it out of the park there.

What have I been playing - Subnautica. It's amazing!!! The perfect mix of relaxing wonder and nail-biting terror!

What am I looking forward to - Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2. And System Shock 3!

What is my all-time favourite game - Rez. Followed closely by Bomb Jack, and then Super Cars II.

:D

Lol that Venture bros tidbit is rather remarkable ;D As is the rest of the post:thumbsup:

In response to post #68786826. #68791821, #68839296, #68874961 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote: Any plans to port your Iomaungandr Rising mod over to Skyrim SE? If not, I could provide my services & port it/publish it on Skyrim SE Nexus with your permission Dan Taylor.
dt1000 wrote: That would be rad... What needs to be done to port a mod to Skyrim SE? Are mods for the normal verison not compatible?
ff7legend wrote: Yours truly knows how to port mods from Oldrim to SSE format the correct way. Check my profile. You will find that I have extensive know-how when it comes to SSE ports. PM incoming...
SlyWolfe wrote: Oldrim mods are (usually) not compatible due to SE using a different Creation Kit, and the forms differing (form 43 vs 44).
It's generally quite simple to convert the majority of mods to SE though - most times all it takes is to just resave it in the new CK, or I think even SSE Edit has a convert feature IIRC. Textures, meshes and animations are even easier to convert since you don't need to use the CK to do so and there are simple tools for them
(That being said, it's my understanding that making SE mods Oldrim compatible is much more difficult.)

The .esp must always be resaved in the SSE CK SlyWolfe. SSE Edit has no such feature. Those who use SSE Edit to manually set the Form version to 44 have no idea what they're doing & will end up breaking folks' save games due to duplicate Form IDs. The only sure way to make a plugin Form 44 (Skyrim SE) format is to load it into the SSE CK, then save it. .esm plugins require Wrye Bash since these must be copied to a .esp, then saved into the SSE CK, followed up by re-copying the newly saved .esp to a new .esm (Old .esm must be deleted after being copied to a .esp). Meshes must be run through SSE NIF Optimizer while .hkx (animations) must be run through a special tool available on LoversLab. Reverse porting of Skyrim SE meshes to LE format is now possible using the newest version of SSE NIF Optimizer. However, no tool exists to backport SSE plugins as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...