Vortex: Load before vs load after

MigelAnkMigel

Hey, I'm not sure what to do here. The problem is: I have two texture mods with a certain overlap, A and B. In case of an overlap, I want to use A's files. The options I get for resolving mod conflicts are to fill in the blanks. So the result looks like this: "Load 'A' (before / after) 'B'". Now I'm not sure what exactly that means. How do I give "dominance" to one of the files? Back in NMM, it used to be that you could authorize one file to overwrite the other.

Loading "before or after" could mean both things. If I load A after B, does that mean A, being loaded later, OVERWRITES B? Or does that mean B gets higher PRIORITY and therefore DOMINATES over A? This may be a stupid question but I could imagine both being the case. Neither seems particularly far fetched. Hope to get an answer soon.

Thanks in advance, Migel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see what you're getting at with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... etc vs etc... 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

As with the second one, 1 means top spot, 2 means second, and so on, and so on.

But due to how the English language works, it's much more natural to do things by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... etc, rather than the reverse, when it comes to ordering things or sorting by order (as you can't go into the negatives, meaning that there is a cap of 0/1. But with the reverse, it could be anywhere start off with five 9's, and a thousand 9's).

As such, in this case, it makes sense for 1 to mean low, while a higher number is high.

So with Vortex, if Mod A and B takes up 4 and 5 respectively, and you tell Mod A to load after Mod B. Mod B gets placed as 4, and Mod A gets placed as 5. Meaning that Mod A gets priority over Mod B.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since we are talking about installations, priority is given to the last thing to be installed as that would overwrite previous entries. This seems the most likely.

In Bethesda games such as Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc., what comes last loads last. Hence "load after" means "load that texture (mesh, etc.)" and "load before" means "don't load that texture (mesh, etc.)." Expressed otherwise, "load after" means "overwrite."

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since we are talking about installations, priority is given to the last thing to be installed as that would overwrite previous entries. This seems the most likely.

You are correct - what comes last in the install order overwrites in the case of a file overlap.

• 9 months later...

Don't confuse Load order and Deploy order with Vortex. This really messed me up initially, partly because there is a lot of wrong information being provided.

Deploy Order - When you Deploy mods with Vortex, Mods are deployed in install order, except for Mods where you had to do Conflict resolutions. In those cases the Mod that is set as "After" is the one that will overwrite the files of the other. Note that the options in the Conflict Resolutions DO NOT say "Load After" or "Load Before". That is because the conflicts are dealing with the overwriting of files that conflict with each other during the Deploy process.

Load Order - Load order specifies in which order the Game will Load the Plugins. At that point, the Files are already overwritten and the load order has no impact on them. The Load order will determine who wins in cases where the Mods internally interfere with each other. In Vortex, the load order is determined by Loot (and I think Meta-Data), unless you change the Rules in the Plugins panel.

So, things you do on the Mods panel affect Deploy order (overwriting), and things you do on the Plugins panel affect Load order.

• 1 month later...