Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

I haven't yet had time to peruse all the posts [i will, I promise] so may I ask a quick question here?

I am seeking to change the speech of certain NPCs in game, eg the irritating beggar in Solitude, who says "A coin for a veteran .. it's not much to ask" repeatedly.

After some scouring for tutorials (scarce indeed) this is what I did.

1. Used a Nexus voice reference identifier tool to find the fuz file for that particular line. Gave me the name of the fuz file (without the bsa folder, unfortunately)

2. Unpacked the Voices.bsa and scoured the folders for that file, finding it at last in the malecoward folder.

3. Used the Nexus Unfuz tool to extract a wave file of that line (ignoring for the moment the other 13 fuz files for this guy, which he also repeats as nauseum).

4. Used Audacity to save a different wav file into the new folder I was using, then removed the original wav and renamed the new one to the original fuz name.

5. Used Unfuzer to make a fuz file with the name of the original, but with the new audio inside.

6. Checked to see if it worked by unfuzzing my amended fuz and playing the wav, which played fine.

7. Fuzzed it all up again, and had a coffee.

8. Created a mod, using the folders path from the extracted ie Data Sound Voice skyrim.esp malecoward, and dropped a copy of the new improved fuz file into the malecoward folder.

9. Dropped the Sound folder, (with the others inside it, of course) into the Data folder.

10. Tested in game. Did not work. The beggar kept right on begging, and looking at me funny.

The above procedure was what I came up with after reading various posts in various forums, also I have used the same basic procedure many time with amended textures.

As I understand it, the "loose files" (the folder nest I dropped in) are loaded last by the system, and should overwrite any file of the same name in the bsa files, if the folder path is created correctly. Works for textures and meshes, no problem.

So, obviously, I am wondering why it does not work for my sound file mod.

The modder who posted Unfuz in Nexus says he tested replacement wavs which were both longer and shorter than the original wav, thereby making a new fuz of a different size, but they worked ok. And the mod file path was endorsed by other posters in other forums as viable and working, for sound as well as textures.

Wonder what I did wrong?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading ...

Eddie

PS. I discovered a beautiful infallible way to completely silence NPCs using the Creation Kit, but it only silences them, not changes the speech, which is what I am after.

You know that preacher in Whiterun? Look out Herman, here I come!

:geek:

Some changes do not take affect if the object has already been loaded as the data is stored in the save file. The game prefers to use data from the save file over any new data whenever possible. Try on a new game. You can open the console at the main menu and use COC to move somewhere in Solitude then see if the changes took affect. Alternatively, you can use Live Another Life and pick the Solitude ship start.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me out with something. I've come off a year or two without modding (my previous laptop sucked, and I just got a new one), so I'm kind of relearning everything. This might have been covered before in the CK tutorials, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the whole player house "objects don't show up until you purchase the corresponding addition" thing works? I'm relearning by just doing a basic mod to change the appearance of the interior of player houses, but when I added new items and linked them to the corresponding x-markers, then went to take a look in-game, the new stuff was all there when it shouldn't have been just yet. I hope this makes sense... Basically, how do I make things not show up until you purchase its addition from whichever hold steward?

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me out with something. I've come off a year or two without modding (my previous laptop sucked, and I just got a new one), so I'm kind of relearning everything. This might have been covered before in the CK tutorials, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the whole player house "objects don't show up until you purchase the corresponding addition" thing works? I'm relearning by just doing a basic mod to change the appearance of the interior of player houses, but when I added new items and linked them to the corresponding x-markers, then went to take a look in-game, the new stuff was all there when it shouldn't have been just yet. I hope this makes sense... Basically, how do I make things not show up until you purchase its addition from whichever hold steward?

As you figured out you have to link the objects to an xMarker as an enable state parent. The xMarker needs to be disabled. Then in the dialog when purchased, you enable the xMarker and all the linked objects should appear. If you need anything to disappear at the same time, you link them to the xMarker as an enable state parent and check the box for them to be in the opposite state. In that manner one set gets enabled while another set gets disabled.

Exact specific step by step instructions, I don't know. I'm going on memory here. :P

As you figured out you have to link the objects to an xMarker as an enable state parent. The xMarker needs to be disabled. Then in the dialog when purchased, you enable the xMarker and all the linked objects should appear. If you need anything to disappear at the same time, you link them to the xMarker as an enable state parent and check the box for them to be in the opposite state. In that manner one set gets enabled while another set gets disabled.

Exact specific step by step instructions, I don't know. I'm going on memory here. :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, wasn't expecting it so quick! Thing is, I'm using the exact same xMarkers as the original objects, so everything should be set up properly (this is because I wouldn't know how to make a new xmarker get enabled through a speech option in-game. I haven't gotten quite that far in scripting, that's why I used what was already there). So just to clarify, I'm using the same xMarkers for the new objects, but the objects aren't acting the way they should be, even though I thought I did literally everything the exact same as the old objects. Some of the old objects I just moved around, and they continue to act the way they should (disabled until purchased from the steward). It's just the new ones that aren't. Sorry, I suck at explaining things...

Exact specific step by step instructions, I don't know. I'm going on memory here. :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, wasn't expecting it so quick! Thing is, I'm using the exact same xMarkers as the original objects, so everything should be set up properly (this is because I wouldn't know how to make a new xmarker get enabled through a speech option in-game. I haven't gotten quite that far in scripting, that's why I used what was already there). So just to clarify, I'm using the same xMarkers for the new objects, but the objects aren't acting the way they should be, even though I thought I did literally everything the exact same as the old objects. Some of the old objects I just moved around, and they continue to act the way they should (disabled until purchased from the steward). It's just the new ones that aren't. Sorry, I suck at explaining things...

Make sure you test on a new game, if you have not. Some things could be baked into the save file that are affecting behavior. Beyond that, hope that someone with more recent experience drops by.

Make sure you test on a new game, if you have not. Some things could be baked into the save file that are affecting behavior. Beyond that, hope that someone with more recent experience drops by.

Yeah I've been testing with a new game. This site actually taught me that! Haha. But I think I may have accidentally solved my own problem after some tinkering. I'll to run some more tests just to be sure though. But thank you! I think I just needed to come on here to kind of think things through!