Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

I have a question that others may also be having, so I am posting up here in order to check for nods/head-shaking/advice from the papyrus pros in the thread.

First off, I need to thank you guys for the thread so far. My Dragon Priest Masks, Dragon Claw, and Bug-In-A Jar displays (using a modified claw script as suggested) are working wonderfully.

Going to try not to confuse anyone right off the bat, but please bear in mind that the last language (aside from basic HTML) that I programmed in was Commodore BASIC about 35 years ago, so I'm using that as part of my theory when I ask the question.

What I am wanting to do is something akin to the method used to obtain the final mask in Labyrinthia, where the game checks to see if you have the other eight masks in place before offering the ninth - I am trying to set up my dragon priest mask display to run this kind of check and open a hidden door when all nine masks are there. I have not tried for myself yet, since 1) I know enough to know I don't know enough and 2) the dragon priest mask display tutorial mainly relied on copying existing triggers and scripts and modifying one or two values as opposed the the 'built from the ground-up' approach of the claws tutorial.

What I am thinking is that I would have to define a new variable for each mask titled something like ChaophimMaskCount1 and then give it a value in the On Activate section like ChaophimMaskCount1=1 (each mask would have its own variable and variablename=1).

Then on the door trigger, have an if/then/else statement that looks like:

; Hidden Door Subroutine

if ChaophimMaskCount1=1

and ChaophimMaskCount2=1

and ChaophimMaskCount3=1

and ChaophimMaskCount9=1

then open door

else end; keeps door closed since one or more masks are missing.

Is this the right approach and, if so, could you tell me the basic syntax for actually pulling it off, please? I would greatly appreciate it and am fully prepared for the answer even if it is "You can't do that."

Thanks in advance for giving it thought and possible feedback.

You are on the right track. It depends tho on how you have everything set up so far.

Unfortunately, in this case, I cannot suggest something without seeing exactly what you are doing. There are different methods: local variables for a single script that handles everything; global variables for multiple scripts; global variables for the same script used on multiple objects; even a quest setup tracking everything by stage advancement.

I have ideas, I just need to see your setup for the masks.

You are on the right track. It depends tho on how you have everything set up so far.

Unfortunately, in this case, I cannot suggest something without seeing exactly what you are doing. There are different methods: local variables for a single script that handles everything; global variables for multiple scripts; global variables for the same script used on multiple objects; even a quest setup tracking everything by stage advancement.

I have ideas, I just need to see your setup for the masks.

Like I say, haven't actually written or clicked anything yet. Following the carpenter's rule of "measure twice, cut once", so to speak.

What I have so far is a copy of the vanilla scripts with one value changed to -1 on almost all of them, as shown in Sjogga's "Dragon Mask Bust" tutorial from early on in this very thread.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/754151-tutorials-without-youtoob/page-14

I'm can't remember exactly how the vanilla script looks, but I think you can accomplish your goal by using them. I'm not currently at home, so I don't have access to the Creation Kit.

With exception of Konahriks trigger box, all other triggers are linked to a bust and Konahriks trigger box.

Konahriks trigger box is linked to a bust and the dragon head concealing it.

I made a picture in paint demonstrating it:

http://i41.tinypic.com/29bkkxs.png

When you link an object to another you can do so using scripts or linked refs. The small, fat arrows represent Linked Refs, and the long arrows represents Scripted links. In the original Mask tutorial I didn't bother covering linking.

Anyway, first you need to restore the myIndex variable on the red trigger boxes. It doesn't have to be the original value, but each has to be assigned a unique value between 1 and 8.

Next you have to re-link all the trigger boxes:

- The Scripted links of the red trigger boxes needs to point at Konahriks mask trigger. I'm unsure how to do this since the variable type is a script name and not an object reference.

- The Linked Ref of Konahriks trigger should be redirected to your hidden door.

I think this is all you need to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that "youtoob" is all fun and whatnot...

If you don't have hearing issues, or bandwidth issues...

I can't begin to tell you how totally frustrating it is to look for tutorials, only to find that the one subject you wanted consists of nothing but unusuable "youtoob" links.

I'm also well aware that there are probably fifty bazillion lists of tutorials on these forums, but they don't get bumped or replied to so they get lost, or updates to resource programs (including the CK for instance) render them no longer valid or useful.

This is not a place to debate sound or hearing, it's not a place to recommend "voice to text" programs, it's not a place for "gee whiz how do you even play like that!" so don't clutter up the thread with that stuff. This is also not a place to "hate on" people who do use and enjoy video tutorials, so don't do that either. It's not a place for "help my mod didn't work", except in that troubleshooting tutorials may end up here too. If you do any of this stuff, I'll go whining to a mod to get your post edited or removed.

DO NOT LIST OR LINK ANY TUTORIAL WHICH RELIES ON A VIDEO OF ANY KIND, whether or not said video is subtitled.

The below list of "Useful Tutorials" will be updated appropriately, as people (including me) find or write such information.

Use of the CK (Creation Kit) from download to finished mod

Creating Cells, Decorating them, and Linking them to the WorldCrafting and World Interaction
  • Harvest, including how to add a new harvestable item (for instance, why kill your neighbor's cow to get milk? You don't have to kill a chicken to get an egg, right?)
  • Cooking including how to create and add new recipes
  • Alla's Cooking Tutorial
  • Forging, Tanning, Workbench (Improving), Grindstone (Improving) including how to create and add new recipes
  • Alchemy including how to create and add new "potions and poisons"
  • Enchanting (and spells in general) including how to create and add new spells
  • Mining and Woodsplitting including how to tie an ore vein (existing or created) or a log pile to the action
Creating a New Item, including making a texture map for it, texturing it, and getting it into SkyrimMaking Scripts and Items that Do ThingsCreating Playable RacesGeneral Neat StuffIf you think of something else you'd like to see a non-video tutorial for, please say so. If you've written such a tutorial, please feel free to post your link, or even your tute, if it's short. If you've found a link for a non-video tutorial -- and you have permission to link it -- please feel free to post it.

(and one last note -- keep it PG13, there are kid-modders out there. If something's going to have adult content, warn appropriately!)

*Ongoing edit to add links in the appropriate categories*

(Special note: Tutorials on my own site seem to view best in Firefox. But, your mileage may vary.)

I totally feel for you, I get tired of looking at any video to find simple info, what ever happened to the days when people made page tutorials?