Tutorials WITHOUT "youtoob"

Allannaa

How to Edit and Move Bones in .nif Skeletons for Skyrim

This is a very brief gif assisted tutorial for how you can edit any skeleton you want and use it in game. Most people have been able to do this by scaling individual bones. However, that technique is tedious and very limited in what and how much you can edit. My technique is very simple, anyone with any knowledge of how an object moves in 3D space can do it. It also offers a lot more freedom in what you can do.

Things you'll need.

1. A skeleton file, such as skeleton.nif, skeletonbeast.nif, but even animal or dragon ones will do. You can even do this with other user created skeletons.

2. Nifskope.

Step 1.

Open your skeleton in nifskope and find what bone you'd like to move, rotate or rescale. Right click on the bone in the list menu on the left, click on the "Node" menu and select "Add Parent Node" in the dropdown menu. Another menu will pop up. Look for and select "NiNode".

http://i.imgur.com/fGkAOhp.gif

(Skeleton Pictured: The vanilla female skeleton)

Step 2.

Input numbers into the Transform, Scale and Rotation menus in order to edit the bone that is now attached to the new node you made.

http://i.imgur.com/ctgDAj5.gif

(Note the way the LEFT UpperArm bone rises up after I put 5 in the transform data. In this shot the skeleton has its back facing us, so it is our left and the skeleton's left.)

Step 3.

Repeat as necessary to get your skeleton looking how you want it to in game. Remember to select and edit the NiNodes you added, not the bones!! An easy way to find them is by clicking on the bone you've worked on in the 3D model viewer, and then select the item immediately above it in the listed menu on the left.

For the sake of the tutorial I'm going to stop here with my edited shoulder.

Step 4.

Save your skeleton either in a new folder or overwrite the old one you edited. Remember to name it correctly! In my case, I'm going to overwrite the skeleton_female.nif file I put in the "Skyrim/Data/Meshes/actor/character/character assets female" directory so it'll show up immediately when I run the game.

Step 5.

Let's see how it looks in game.

http://i.imgur.com/AoMhrQw.jpg

Well it looks like her shoulder has been horribly mangled, but it sure worked!

Now you've finished editing your skeleton and getting it to work in game!

FAQ

Q. That's it?

A. Yep. That's it. That's all you have to do.

Q. Do I have to apply transforms on the NiNodes?

A. NO!!! It'll work without using the Apply Transforms command, and honestly I recommend you not doing that. If you apply, getting the NiNodes back to their original positions if you feel like tweaking becomes next to impossible. If you leave the transformations, you can easily go back and edit the numbers.

Pros and Cons of Using this Technique

Pros:

No need to reskin anything. If a model is rigged to the skeleton you're editing, it'll work with the changed one.

It's easy to go back and forth and tweak it.

A lot more cool stuff you can do with the bones.

Cons:

The more complex a skeleton is, the harder it is to work with.

I'm not sure how compatible an edited skeleton is. I haven't really began testing it with stuff like FNIS and custom animations. Scripts that edit bones especially may cause problems, but I'm not completely sure.

Bonus Tips for working on a skeleton.

1. You're not just editing the bones, you're editing every part of the model that's connected to the bones.

2. The model can react in weird, unexpected ways. The bone you're editing might not be what controls the part of the body you want to edit. Experiment and see.

3. One of the best ways to get the results you want is to edit between two extreme opposites and then slowly narrow it down. It's like playing hot and cold, but with the way the legs/arms/head bends.

Edited by lightningo

Here's the final form of my Ale/Potion script.

After much tinkering, I was able to include a gold check, that checks and removes gold from the player; this way potions/ales cost money and are not free.

To use this script, attach it to a "Button" activator [i used Imperial Button]. You will also need to create 3 "Messages" [question, yes response, no response]. See Green highlight

This script can be used with any "potion" classed item.

Shocks - Ale/Potion Buy Script [FREE TO USE]; Thanks to TonyCubed and Sjogga for help

Scriptname Shocks_BrewTank_Gold01 extends ObjectReference
{Script to add potions to player. Ability to select potion from property}

Message Property Question Auto
{Ask the player a question}

Message Property Yes Auto
{Player selects Yes to Question}

Message Property No Auto
{Player selects No to Question}

Potion Property itemToAddPotion Auto
{item to add to player - potion}

Int Property ItemCount = 1 Auto
{how many to add?}

MiscObject Property Gold001 Auto
{Check Player for Gold item}

Int Property GoldCount = 1 Auto
{How much Gold to remove from player}

Int Property GoldInv = 1 Auto
{Check Player for gold needed for purchase}

int Button

EVENT onActivate(objectReference akActionRef)
If akActionRef == Game.GetPlayer()
Button = Question.show()
if Button == 0
If (Game.GetPlayer().GetItemCount(Gold001) >= GoldInv)
Yes.show()
Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(itemToAddPotion, itemCount, false)
Game.GetPlayer().RemoveItem(Gold001, GoldCount, false)
Else
debug.notification("You don't have enough Gold")
EndIf
elseif Button == 1
No.show()
endif
EndIf
endEVENT

Note: you can most likely remove the highlighted yellow portion of the code with the phrase "GoldCount" [not tested but should work]. The GoldInv is an extra variable that allows you to buy the potions if the player does not have enough gold.

Again, free to use. Just give credit to me, TonyCubed and Sjogga if you decide to use it. :dance:

That just leaves me with the existing question: Does anyone know of a good tutorial for adoption friendly homes?

Again, never mind!

I found a great tutorial over on Steam, you know, the only "legitimate" place for Skyrim.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SkyrimCKPublic/discussions/1/828936719032529962/#c648814845359515625

I have been trying to use this tutorial for a while now, however I seem to be... missing something. The tutorial says to add a particular keyword to certain objects (beds/chests..) however I have no idea how to do this. I do not see anywhere in the CK where I can add those keywords to the item on any of the tabs (does that make sense?). My best guess has been to put it in the "Location Reference Type" box, but the "SpouseBedKeyword" mentioned under the Spouse section of the tutorial does not show up there.

I know how to set the ownership of the item, I just can't figure out the rest. Maybe it's the markers in general that confuse me. It says to "add a marker with X keyword" but what marker do I use?

I guess I'd like a version of this tutorial made idiot-proof ("Select this object type, go to this tab, put this keyword in this box" sort of thing..)

Also, whether or not someone can help me with my particular issue, THANK YOU for making this thread. I have a form of OCD where certain sounds really irritate and frustrate me, so it is very very difficult for me to watch video tutorials. Thank you so much. <3

• 1 month later...

Would someone make tutorial or simply tell about to how to disable rain at outside "shelters"?
Or point existing tutorial about that, i can't find one.

(I know that much that it is some kind trigger, am i right?)

Edited by ryuuou

Region generator usage tutorial? I would apreciate that, i can seem to find a decent tutorial about that. Can somebody point me in the right direction with a specific link because cant find it i generaly suck in finding usefull tutorials, or wrighting a basic tutorial on the subject at hand.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a really newbie's question, but...

I rewrote PlayerVampireQustScript and added some spells and abilities. Then I integrated all with PlayerVampireQuest. But it all didn't work. Abilities and spells didn't appear in the game. Also I added Vampire faction in list of factions in VampirePC faction as neutral, but it didn't work too. What did I do wrong?

Edited by Nissiku

It's a really newbie's question, but...

I rewrote VampirePlayerQustScript and added some spells and abilities. Then I integrated all with VampirePlayerQuest. But it all didn't work. Abilities and spells didn't appear in the game. Also I added Vampire faction in list of factions in VampirePC faction as neutral, but it didn't work too. What did I do wrong?

Not familiar with the script or the quest, but some standard things that you can check...

1. Are the properties actually assigned?

2. Are you testing in a new game? A script on a quest such as that one which runs quiet often if not all the time is bound to already be baked into your save file. Having it accept new changes mid-game might be impossible.