Muskets DO fit in Skyrim!!!

darkofan

Muskets DONT belong in skyrim! i certainly do not remember studying the medieval era and reading anything about guns! the only projectiles were bows, catapults, and in legend... Magic! Crossbows came in the renaissance era just after the medieval era, A musket is too modern for skyrim, they didn't have long ranged guns back in those two eras, i believe they had a pistol but not long ranged! guns would be too overpowered anyways in skyrim, They're more powerful that swords and go farther than arrows!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i already think they underpowered the katana's (samurai swords) those things are able to slice medieval metal armor in real life!

You've been watching too much anime. A katana is an outdated sword, whereas a kilij or a simple axe is much more effective on foot. Katanas are romanticized perhaps more than any other blade, and they are works of art, but they were outdated as practical weapons by the fifteenth century.

Yes, katanas are sharp, but sharpness isn't the issue. Anything can be sharp. However, puncturing force is a ratio of impact surface area, to momentum, to velocity and can be modeled with even simple physics equations. Swords have a very long surface area, and regardless of velocity, katanas have very little momentum. Swords are romanticized, but the only good swords were the ones carried by soldiers on horseback. In fact, the only reason a sword exists is because the long blade can "mow" hostiles down when dragged behind a horse. To anyone on foot, a spear is best, followed by a hand axe, followed by a kilij or similar forward-weighted blade. A sword is nearly useless as a weapon to a foot-soldier or assassin, whereas a katar is perhaps even better than a dagger for an assassin.

Edited by Rennn

Muskets DONT belong in skyrim! i certainly do not remember studying the medieval era and reading anything about guns! the only projectiles were bows, catapults, and in legend... Magic! Crossbows came in the renaissance era just after the medieval era, A musket is too modern for skyrim, they didn't have long ranged guns back in those two eras, i believe they had a pistol but not long ranged! guns would be too overpowered anyways in skyrim, They're more powerful that swords and go farther than arrows!

actually crossbows were invented and in use before the 100 years war and longbows came after crossbows and the first bow you get in skyrim is longbow (in real life longbows shoot farther and are more powerful than crossbows of the medieval time period) the renaissance began just a little bit after the 100 years war and in Italy it was already going on during the 100 years war.

They had hand cannons in the early 1300's in spain, and the huns actualy had handheld black powder guns and grenade like bombs back in the 11 and 1200's which is long before the renaissance.

Matchlock muskets started being developed in the late 1300's and became more prominant in the 1400's and then not soon after the flintlock muskets that we all know and love were developed in use.

And if you think Skyrim is a medieval game you are horribly mistaken. As I posted already, The only thing medieval about skyrim is the steel, iron, hide, leather, and fur weapons and armors. Everything else about the game is completely renaissance and fantasy. All the architecture still in use (meaning not ruins), excluding markarth, are all renaissance. If you look at common housing, clothing, trade, standard of living, books, utensils, etc. of the medieval period you'll find that almost none of it is in skyrim! Almost everything about skyrim is renaissance. The fact that there is an abundance of books, everyone seems to know how to read and write, the clothes, forks, knives spoons, the architecture, the standard of living, deff the trade system with standardised curency are all renaissance!

Now please do some research, or at least read what posted!!!!, before spouting your ignorance!

ps: do you really think they're gonna teach you everything about the thousand year time period of the middle ages in a high school or middle school history class...? I don't think so... in fact I know they won't and didn't!

Edited by darkofan

actually crossbows were invented and in use before the 100 years war and longbows came after crossbows and the first bow you get in skyrim is longbow (in real life longbows shoot farther and are more powerful than crossbows of the medieval time period) the renaissance began just a little bit after the 100 years war and in Italy it was already going on during the 100 years war.

They had hand cannons in the early 1300's in spain, and the huns actualy had handheld black powder guns and grenade like bombs back in the 11 and 1200's which is long before the renaissance.

Matchlock muskets started being developed in the late 1300's and became more prominant in the 1400's and then not soon after the flintlock muskets that we all know and love were developed in use.

And if you think Skyrim is a medieval game you are horribly mistaken. As I posted already, The only thing medieval about skyrim is the steel, iron, hide, leather, and fur weapons and armors. Everything else about the game is completely renaissance and fantasy. All the architecture still in use (meaning not ruins), excluding markarth, are all renaissance. If you look at common housing, clothing, trade, standard of living, books, utensils, etc. of the medieval period you'll find that almost none of it is in skyrim! Almost everything about skyrim is renaissance. The fact that there is an abundance of books, everyone seems to know how to read and write, the clothes, forks, knives spoons, the architecture, the standard of living, deff the trade system with standardised curency are all renaissance!

Now please do some research, or at least read what posted!!!!, before spouting your ignorance!

ps: do you really think they're gonna teach you everything about the thousand year time period of the middle ages in a high school or middle school history class...? I don't think so... in fact I know they won't and didn't!

Also, even if Tamriel's races doesn't have a musket, the dwemer could have a weapon like that! There's even a mod called "Dwemer Rifle", that adds a gun similar to those old pistols, and it is perfect possible to the Elder Scrolls lore. Also, it wouldn't be THAT overpowered. Muskets take time to reload, they have a slow rate of fire, and they aren't even THAT powerful. You could survive a musket shoot if you had a decent steel/dwemer/daedric/glass/steel plate/dragonbone armor.

You could survive a musket shoot if you

That is true. In all recorded accounts 90% of musket shot victims survived the initial impact, of those 90%, 60% died from infection due to inferior medical practice, 20% lost a limb to apputation and the remaining 10% continued to fight after having the ball removed and the wound closed.

Many can debate what fits into skyrim lore, or whats the best weapon in history, but what you have ask yourself, does it suit your gameplay? Does it suit your veiw of what Skyrim, hell Tamriel, should be like?

I could drone in about anything or everything to do with The Elder Scrolls, but i choose to play the way i like, with the mods i want and that fits my veiw of Skyrim

If you dont like a mod, then DONT download it. If it looks good, let the author know he/she has done a good job, but play the game as you see fit and stop trying to force your veiw and opinions on everyone else.

The way i see things, games are created to allow us to escape our reality and allow us to live in another realm for a while.

As someone said before, that you can make a scifi gun and still have it fit into skyrim lore, so why not a musket? Hell, space wiking managed to get a exoskeleton into skyrim and fit the lore.

Now, before you get up me, im not saying shut up and keep your thoughts to yourself, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but damn do ppl have to be so forceful about it.

I am working on a dwemer mod that expands the under represented race and i will be adding things that are never seen before in the elder scrolls.

Does that mean i am breaking the lore? No, it means i am adding to it. It was said before that the makers of the Elder Scrolls series change to lore to fit the game they are making, not making the game fit the lore.

Why cant we, as modders, do the same?

Im not going to say anymore. Thats my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I dont think it'd be too far-fetched to see a musket in Skyrim, especially if it were of dwemer make. I really liked the example from the guy on the first page, about being able to write anything in lore-wise if you're creative about it. Personally I'd like to see a great many of the weapon mods out there to be added this way, into a book with a short backstory and approximate location instead of crafting these epic never-before-seen items out of nowhere.

Actually, you could make the argument that muskets don't fit becuase of magic. Why would a musket be invented if you could just round up a couple of mages who could do more damage than a hundred people with muskets in a much shorter time?

Also, the game is made up fantasy. Logic doesn't matter when you can kill other people by shouting at each them. Or when there are lizard and cat men, or when vikings are trying to kick romans from there land, or when a city is based in a dead elven city, or when dragons have risen from the dead, or when I can shoot fireballs at people and turn invisible. Everything fits if you want it to.

Guns fit for Skyrim's theme. The civilization of the Dwemer certainly had the technology to create machines, they can certainly create firearms.

However, a musket sounds weak. It seems to me that you have a steampunk fetish.

Edited by PoisonedApple

Alright in that case, I take back what I said.

But I'll put my 5 cents in, the addition of muskets really would make the gameplay more interesting.

Imagine if every single guard had a gun, and you (the player) only had armor, a sword, and a shield. Can you imagine how much harder the game would be than? :3

As far as I am aware, didn't Crossbows actually pack more punch than flintlocks?

Will pass on the guns myself...I don't like using magic either, but love Bows and Crossbows.... wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors to get them in your game Darkofan.

Edit: Hang on, I think I have seen a gun mod for Skyrim....will be back with the link if I can find it.

2nd Edit: Found it, is this the kind of thing your looking for?:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8533

Edited by StayFrosty05