Track updates of modding APIs in Vortex

Vrakyas

Is it possible to include modding APIs/extenders like SKSE/SKSE64 (Skyrim/Skyrim SE) or SMAPI (Stardew Valley) into Vortex? So I can easily see, if there is an update available.

At least SMAPI for Stardew Valley is available on Nexus, so information could be retrieved from there.

I know that installing/updating those APIs/extenders won't work, as they are installed in a different location than the mods get installed.

For SKSE64 specifically, it does not matter if an update is available.

What you are running has to exactly match the game build you have, and SKSE will quickly tell you if you have a mismatch.

The harder problem for the users are all the mods that use SKSE. They have to exactly match the SKSE version,

and some of those take a long time to get updated.

When they do get updated, Vortex installs them like any other mod.

Your specific question relates to updates available for those client mods.

Unfortunately, most of them are not hosted on Nexusmods, so no update information is available for them. All you can do is keep checking their download page.

The very best thing you can do for the sake of your game playing continuity is don't let Steam update your game executable until you know all client mods are updated.

Note also: I install SKSE64 manually, but I also install it as a mod so I have a record of it's version, and scripts are installed.

You should actually be able to install those through Vortex. Just change the modtype to "dinput" or "enb" so it gets installed to the game base directory.

Dang it - something else I did not know. I just hang out here for the things I learn.

Off to try this...

Edited by rmm200

skse64_2_00_15.7z does not install correctly.

The archive structure is:

skse64_2_00_15 -> Data, Src, all executables.

Data contains scripts and source for them.

When Vortex installs this, the structure is changed to:

Scripts (everything the Archive has in Data)

skse64_2_00_15 -> all executable (and their source, which is irrelevant)

Dinput can only be set at this step.

Now Deploy copies all the executable to the game directory, but the scripts, which should go in Data/Scripts go in the game folder in a new directory called Scripts.

This will not work... But it is close.

Problem occurs when the archive is unpacked into the mod directory. If the structure had been left alone it would install correctly.

If I could specify DInput prior to install - that would fix it - maybe.

@rmm200

Did you follow the script extender repackaging instructions in the Knowledge Base? If you did, then the scripts will go into Data/Scripts.

You are right - repackaging SKSE after install will work. But that kind of defeats the goal of installing SKSE as downloaded.

Just letting us specify Dinput prior to install would let the perfectly fine archive format work.

Install goes to a lot of trouble to strip off the Data level, which is needed for normal mods.