Next best thing for the US (and perhaps the world)

mizdarby

Straw Poll of voting intentions  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for in 2012 US Elections

• Barack Obama/Democrats
    • Mitt Romney/Republicans
    • Any Other/Third Party such as Libertarian/Green etc
    • All political parties are a waste of my vote

For anyone interested in seeing how the election is doing in real time tonight here is a link...

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/results

Edit:

So far it's looking almost exactly like Nate silver's map, yet things can still change over the night...

Everyone will be looking 1st at who takes Virginia. Virginia should be the 1st sign to see how the election will unfold. Also Ohio will tell a lot too.

florida is very important yet it will probably be one of the last states to be announced before the end of the night. too much early votes and absentee ballot in that state so it might be one of the last states to be anounced.

update:

Things are not looking too good for Mitt Romney now that pennsylvania has been taken by Obama. If Ohio is taken by Obama, Romney's chances of winning will be almost impossible...

update:

New Hampshire for Obama!

Edited by colourwheel

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Democrats!

Now has any of you any prediction what will come out of the election on politics on the results?

Edited by SilverDNA

Now that there is no doubt Obama has won, one thing i find very interesting is how accurate Nate Silver basically was...

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

His model accurately predicted the outcome of Obama's win in 2008 with the exception of one state. This year 2012 his model was completely accrurate with the exception of florida because it could be a week before the actual results for the state are confirmed, reguardless Obama has won in a landslide with the electoral college and still a majority of the popular vote. Nate silver's model will probably be used for decades now and not just in US presidential elections but possible around the world. There is no question Nate silver has a very bright future.

Despite how badly Romeny's campaign was and how horrible of a chioce he really was as the republican canidate, people from the right or the left could argue for years the actual reason why Romney was defeated so badly. it's my opinion the clear reason why Romney lost was because of Demographics.

The republican party has a major internal problem to deal with considering they can not win future presidential races that apeal to their base anymore. The blue collar white citizens in america is becoming less and less as the nation is diversely changing in ethnicity, sex, and religion. The republicans really need to come up with new ideas because their core beliefs automatically alienate too much of the population to be ignored now.

By 2016 it is possible the white male voters will decrease from this year of 72% to under 68%.

There is something i can actually agree with Rush Limbaugh on. Rush Limbaugh Predicted the "End Of Republican Party" If Obama Wins Re-Election. Seeing how demographics play in an election The republican party will be forced to completely change hence the "End Of Republican Party". The republican party as it is today will have to end for it to compete with the future. The republican party needs new ideas that fit the 21st century instead of ideas that seem so outdated they could be mistaken for ideas from the 1950's.

I can only hope that by 2016 people like donald trump, birthers, and the radical Tea party movement will become a thing of the past for the Republican party. When you have a oppositional political party in america that automatically alienates over a majority of the growing populus, the other oppositional political party doesn't really need to try that hard to gain power.

Reguardless I am very happy to see Obama win again.

Edited by colourwheel

Although I very much doubt that the scarier aspects of the Republican platform could ever have got passed (manifesto posturing and reality being two completely different animals), clearly it was enough to frighten the voters off. What colourwheel says about the demographic very much agrees with what the pundits were saying over here as to where the Republicans failed. It will be a shame if there ends up being no opposition party.

But the party, as they say, is so I understand, going to be over pretty darned soon for Obama. I understand the budget/spending plans, have to be agreed by December 31st, otherwise it is not going to be a happy New Year for the USA as severe cuts will then automatically be applied. Obama might have created his client constituents with some of his welfare measures (or his gutting of welfare reform), but it will all have to be paid for. Just look at Greece and Spain who didn't think they had to pay for it - oh wait they still don't, stupid mugs in Britain and Germany bail them out. The USA economy is so huge it can't hock itself to anyone else...except perhaps China, and I'm sure no-one wants that!