Theory of Relativity?

Fkemman11

Hmmm interesting ... Ill need more time to digest the link you provided , but thanks for that.

The measurement using Jupiters moons is described here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8mer%27s_determination_of_the_speed_of_light

Sorry its just a wikipedia link.

So I guess I am wrong in thinking gravity has any ability to cause effects upon light ?

It is merely slowed by things getting in its way ? And nothing would or could speed it up ?

On another subject about gravity and if it has a travel speed.

I've wondered if the sun were to pop out of existence. How long would it take for the earth to break it's orbit ?

Since it is often thought of as the sun creating a cone / dent on a flat plane that keeps the earth circling it. I imagine this dent in space might take some time to flex back flat to fully release the earth from a circular path ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect if the sun simply ceased to exist, so would it's gravity well, and the earth would immediately start heading off on a straight-line trajectory. That wouldn't bode well for the human race though, as our atmosphere would solidify in relatively short order as well. :D

@ HeyYou AHhhh ya ... "Gravity Well" My mind went blank when trying to describe it.

Thanks for the mention :)

Yes it is just a thought experiment to try to better understand the nature of gravity.

No real way to test it . But I also first thought it would immediately release the earth in a straight line defined by it's arc point. And then we would still view the suns light for 8ish minutes while traveling in that straight line before it blinked out , as if held by a tether.

But I have come to think it would be more like a curve of diminishing returns.

Because something as substantial as that much space being deformed , would not snap back that fast. In fact it might even be slower than the speed of light ???

@ HeyYou AHhhh ya ... "Gravity Well" My mind went blank when trying to describe it.

Thanks for the mention :smile:

Yes it is just a thought experiment to try to better understand the nature of gravity.

No real way to test it . But I also first thought it would immediately release the earth in a straight line defined by it's arc point. And then we would still view the suns light for 8ish minutes while traveling in that straight line before it blinked out , as if held by a tether.

But I have come to think it would be more like a curve of diminishing returns.

Because something as substantial as that much space being deformed , would not snap back that fast. In fact it might even be slower than the speed of light ???

Ooooo. Intriguing. :)

Valid point. Question becomes, is gravity a 'wave'? How fast does it travel? And if space is 'rebounding' from that sudden lack of gravity well, would it be like something dropped into a pool of water? And would the 'ripple' from it returning to a flat plane have space curving the 'other' way for a bit, essentially driving the earth away?

We could have some real fun with that. :D

I think it is ...

damn I gota turn off the TV .

No more outside influence.

But now I mention what I hear .

Slave Reparations ...

This is a discussion waiting to happen.

Hopefully we can start it with discussing current slavery situations ,,, and how to stop them.

Hmmm interesting ... Ill need more time to digest the link you provided , but thanks for that.

The measurement using Jupiters moons is described here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8mer%27s_determination_of_the_speed_of_light

Sorry its just a wikipedia link.

So I guess I am wrong in thinking gravity has any ability to cause effects upon light ?

It is merely slowed by things getting in its way ? And nothing would or could speed it up ?

On another subject about gravity and if it has a travel speed.

I've wondered if the sun were to pop out of existence. How long would it take for the earth to break it's orbit ?

Since it is often thought of as the sun creating a cone / dent on a flat plane that keeps the earth circling it. I imagine this dent in space might take some time to flex back flat to fully release the earth from a circular path ???

That's a pretty cool experiment.

Gravity does have effects on light, like causing it to curve, or sucking it into the event horizon of a black hole; but it does not affect the speed of light in a vacuum.

I would hesitate to say that nothing could speed it up, but nothing has been observed to move faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

So gravity has a speed as well, it moves at the speed of light. If the sun were to disappear, it would take some time for us to notice. The light and gravitational force would still be exerted on Earth for roughly 8 minutes while the effects of the sun linger. At that point, the gravity and light from the sun would stop "arriving" at Earth, causing the planet to straight shot to somewhere else.

I think it is ...

damn I gota turn off the TV .

No more outside influence.

But now I mention what I hear .

Slave Reparations ...

This is a discussion waiting to happen.

Hopefully we can start it with discussing current slavery situations ,,, and how to stop them.

Start a thread. :D Would be interesting to see how it plays out.

it is good to start a discussion .... old timey slave reparations should be brought up.

But there are currently people who are slaves today ... that should be part of that discussion.