Move Vortex mod folder to another drive

babydiehard
Go to solution Solved by Rattledagger,

Game and mod-folder must be on the same drive, so you should do something like:

1: In Vortex, on mods-tab hit "purge".

2: Exit Vortex.

3: In Steam, move Skyrim to another drive.

4: Run Skyrim launcher once to setup registry etc.

5: Re-start Vortex to detect new location of Skyrim.

6: Just to be on the safe side re-start Vortex.

7: In Vortex click Settings, Mods, specify new location of "Mod Staging Folder" on the new drive, and Vortex should move all files for you. Note, this can take a long time.

8: On mods tab, Deploy.

This worked perfektly for me :) THX a lot !

• 3 weeks later...

It worked BUT the step 7 moved ALL my other games mods to new drive as well!! I just wanted Skyrim to be moved not FO4 and others. Something to be careful about this if you don't want to move other games.

Is this possible to copy just one game?

Edit: Phew, that was the download folder that I moved, which moved all my downloaded mods to other drive, not the "Mod staging folder".

• 3 weeks later...

I think I just screwed mine up. During step 5, it could see the path to my C drive but I stupidly clicked 'activate', then a load of red messages appeared. I'm now moving the mod staging folder, but I'm worried that means all the rules have been lost? I will update in a minute.

Update - I was worried for nothing. Deployed and working ok. I'd forgotten how much faster my SSD was, it should give my other drive a few years more working life, sounded like it was having a seizure loading the game up!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

i just wanted to ask if the method mentioned above is still the safest for moving a large modded Fo4/Vortex (350+ mods install) to an SSD. I'd love to finally have a loadingtimes boost :smile:

cheers

Hello, what if I wanted to move the files to a completely new PC via USB? Do I just choose the location in Vortex as my USB then plus my USB into my new PC and then use vortex to detect the files that are on the usb?

• 6 months later...

7: In Vortex click Settings, Mods, specify new location of "Mod Staging Folder" on the new drive, and Vortex should move all files for you. Note, this can take a long time.

Thank you Mr.Rattledagger!

Thanks..... it worked flawlessly : )

The difference is I've made it with a non-steam game. Only copied the game manually to another folder. Did 4,5,6,7,8 as it described.

Edited by DazeJar

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've moved my steam folder to a new SSD drive. I'm realizing my method wasnt the best but steam recoginized everything & links everything to the new folder. Vortex still only sees the old steam folder. I have tried to change the Mod staging Folder to the new location but get an error Message "NO DEPLOYMENT METHOD AVAILABLE" see notifaction for more information

The full error message

Deployment method "Hardlink Deployment" not available because: Works only if mods are installed on the same drive as the game. All of my games work through steam or directly on the new drive & i moved my Vortex downloads there. I tried unstalling Vortex & reinstalling but that made no differance. Thanks in advance for any help Cheers David

I've moved my steam folder to a new SSD drive. I'm realizing my method wasnt the best but steam recoginized everything & links everything to the new folder. Vortex still only sees the old steam folder. I have tried to change the Mod staging Folder to the new location but get an error Message "NO DEPLOYMENT METHOD AVAILABLE" see notifaction for more information

The full error message

Deployment method "Hardlink Deployment" not available because: Works only if mods are installed on the same drive as the game. All of my games work through steam or directly on the new drive & i moved my Vortex downloads there. I tried unstalling Vortex & reinstalling but that made no differance. Thanks in advance for any help Cheers David

The Filesystem on your SSD drive might not support Hardlink Deployment, it needs to be NTFS not Fat32 etc