Fallout 4 lockup (completely freezes)

icestormng

Hm... Disabling XMP somehow did the trick. I've played about 5 hours without any lockup. Weird.

Well, thanks for your help. I probably never thought XMP would break games.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@icestormng Is the Asus RTX 2080Ti a new acquisition? Does this card have a factory overclock? Is it possible the Creation engine is having fits because of it while other titles are working fine due to it not using said engine?

Itâs the ASUS Turbo (the cheapest one from a vendor that allows changing the cooler) itâs actually downclocked compared to the founders edition. But it has an A-Chip. So whenever the card isnât fast enough anymore I can overclock it a bit. Itâs currently not overclocked as there is no reason for that yet.

And do have that Card since a few months. But before I had 1080 SLI which caused the same problem. I just blamed SLI for it as that is usually to blame

@icestormng Yeah, SLI really didn't get a whole lot of traction and caused issues. But then again, Crossfire had similar issues. XMP was the cause? Weird that it would cause such a major problem.

Glad that your issue is resolved.

Edited by tekmage

Yeah. I never thought about this but disabling it stopped the lockups for now. Maybe the XMP profile is a bit too aggressive and caused minor instabilities. We all know how memory intensive Fallout 4 is. I also loaded up my fully modded game and the freezes are also gone here. I hope it will stay this way ;) That constant freezing was a pain especially on survival without quicksaves.

Interesting, I just picked up a MOBO with XMP, looks like when I install it, I'll set it to DISABLED in the BIOS

Maybe it doesn’t give you any problems. I’m still on X99 but everything works fine so I won’t upgrade the platform in the next time. Or it’s because I have the cheaper 2133Mhz modules.

Cool that you got it sorted. As to why XMP fcuks shite up, who knows.

My newest build is a Threadripper 2950, G.Skill 64GB, RTX 2080 Ti system.

When I flip on XMP profile 2 (3200 MHz) I can load the system very heavily, have screenshots where the mem use is above 62GB and the average load across all cores is above 70%, and everything is rock stable.

...then, reboot the system, start FO4, and it all goes to hell...... switch off XMP and FO4 behaves.

Edit: Btw, SLI is fine. My old system with dual GTX 980's was a blast. But the relatively minor increase in performance does not justify (in my case) the cost of two cards.....

Edited by DjinnKiller

Yeah. SLI is fine as long as the game supports it. Otherwise half of your GPU power is sitting idle. And I haven’t seen a newer tittle that supports SLI. That’s why I sold the 1080s and ordered a 2080Ti.

It looks like the XMP profile for my sticks is a bit extreme and not stable. When I run LINX at full memory load it gives me a lot of errors. I haven’t noticed any performance degradation without XMP so I will leave it disabled. Fast memory on Intel CPUs is overrated anyway.

1 thing to bare in mind, is that enabling XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is to overclock the memory, now the CPU has the memory controller, so by overclocking the memory, you are messing with the CPU.

Overclocking the Memory too high will not only destroy the memory sticks, but you also risk destroying the memory controller on the CPU, which means you also have the potentional to destroy the Processor (CPU) so just bare that in mind.

not too mention very few games require fast memory. so enabling XMP is pretty much redundant in most scenarios.

the games that would benefit from faster memory, would be the same games that heavily use the CPU, so pretty much games like MMOs.

all games that use the GPU more then CPU would not benefit from faster System Ram (Memory Sticks) at all.

Because if they use the GPU more that also means they would be Using the GPUs much faster Memory.

a lot of this is common sense i know, but i felt the need to state it. do not risk your machine, by overclocking your system memory, it is completely not necessary, and pretty much redundant, especially when you factor in that by overclocking your System Memory, you are messing around with your CPU Chip, due to the Memory controller.

if the overclocked memory is unstable, that means the processor does not support it, which means the processor would also need to be overclocked, which further makes overclocking the memory redundant given the fact you then need to put the processor at risk for faster memory, which as stated is largely pointless in most scenarios, both the CPU and an SSD will make a much bigger impact in total performance, than faster memory could ever do. in all scenarios.

System Memory at base speed is more then sufficient for every day tasks (basic tasks). the System Memory sole purpose is to temporary store data, it really does not need to be very fast, factoring in its only use.

a high end CPU, GPU and Solid State drive, will have a massive impact in total performance across the board. in the sense you can do everything instantly, the only thing holding you back is just how quick you yourself can process and do things.

Why is overclocking so risky: because you are then increasing how much power each component you are overclocking consumes, increased power results in increased temperatures, too much power will severely shorten the life span of said component, way too much power will blow up the component outright.

Edited by G4M3W1NN3R