⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Modpatcher

dreadylein

I'll post here in case anyone turns to this as a reference. There is a minimum and maximize size of .inis that the exe can handle; if they are collectively any smaller or larger than this size, the game won't load. (See difficulty adding more items to DGC.ini thread in this forum).

Amineri discovered that if you reduce the size of DefaultMPGame.ini by deleting a bunch of settings in that file, you can use those spare bytes in DefaultGameCore.ini if you are adding new items to the game. I was trying to replicate that capability via modpatcher by patching in changes to both files (a smaller DMPG with a larger DGC), but it didn't work.

For modpatcher purposes, the maximize size of DefaultGameCore.ini is somewhere very close to 101648 bytes (perhaps a little higher than this). Amineri's and my workaround was to delete every spare byte -- comments, tabs and spaces in the file -- and change all the "none" variable settings (such as eWP_None) to 0.

Amineri has also discovered a way to force the exe to read from the dgc.ini file in a directory.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I havent plaed XCom in a while. I had to reinstall it for some reason. Well, after I did (I made sure it was working vanilla) I installed Warspace and made sure it was also working properly. After that, I came here and got the ModPatch, put it in the right place like last time and ran it then started game using the modded version... nothing is modded. Its almost like Im running vanilla XCom all over.

I tried this using the "block" AND with offline mode. And still same result. Nothing is modded. I tried version 1 and version 12, same results. Any ideas? I cant figure out what Im doing wrong.

• 3 months later...

With Enemy Within coming out this week, I had a few questions to prepare my Implassic mod:

1) Will ModPatcher still be compatible with the EW executable in it's current version;

2) If a user has the game installed somewhere else besides the /SteamApps/ subdirectories, then will modpatcher work if you have the INI file in the same folder as the game's EXE file? I assume modpatcher would also have to be in XCom's binaries folder to find the EXE.

Actually, Long War was using modpatcher until its latest release.

@grenade, Until Bok updates toolboks, your best bet may be resourcehacker in the near term, although I'm not sure what it will do with EW.

Even better is that we've got a workaround now that lets you make a one-time change to your exe, and then any changes to DefaultGameCore.ini are automatically read into the game. We don't have an installer-patcher for that for EW yet, but the hex change for your exe is posted in the EW discovery thread and is working.

With Enemy Within coming out this week, I had a few questions to prepare my Implassic mod:

1) Will ModPatcher still be compatible with the EW executable in it's current version;

2) If a user has the game installed somewhere else besides the /SteamApps/ subdirectories, then will modpatcher work if you have the INI file in the same folder as the game's EXE file? I assume modpatcher would also have to be in XCom's binaries folder to find the EXE.

There is a onetime modification to the XCOM EW executable you can apply, that allows XCOM EW to read DefaultGameCore.ini directly from XEW/XComGame/Config/DefaultGameCore.ini (it works fine on Enemy Within)

I am updating my tool to support EW right now, to apply said patch.

Hey Uber -- a few users of your patcher (installing Long War) have had issues when they have multiple Steam libraries; I guess the registry value it reads to find the exe doesn't apply if xcom is in a secondary library. Any instructions I can give them?

The next version which should come out in a few hours has a solution for that problem. I kind of forgot about that case.

Got an issue with Resource Hacker and the new XcomEW.exe. I just wanted to edit the difficulty settings for classic and remove the aim and crit bonus, as I usually do in my normal playthroughs, and after recompiliing and saving the exe no longer works (immediately crashes the app with a 0x0 error).

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. Reposted it in Discovery.

Edited by Hammerstein2k11

There is a onetime modification to the XCOM EW executable you can apply, that allows XCOM EW to read DefaultGameCore.ini directly from XEW/XComGame/Config/DefaultGameCore.ini (it works fine on Enemy Within)

I am updating my tool to support EW right now, to apply said patch.

Thanks, UberJumper. Sorry to be rude, but which mod is yours again? I'm supporting the Implassic mod, which relies on the ModPatcher utility to embed the updated DefaultGameCore.ini file into the game's EXE file.

However, I see Firaxis decided to implement EW inside it's own EXE file. Which mod or utility download link is yours? I'm more than happy to use your tool instead, and give credit to you in my mod page, of course.