Download system overhauled on site and in NMM

Dark0ne

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a second. How much money and how many people do you have to throw at a program that can't even accomplish what timeslip managed with a small team of contributors for next to nothing before red flags pop up? I was actually going to admit that you had me beat, until I saw that part. If you want people to support your servers, that's one thing, but it sounds like NMM is turning into a bottomless resource sink.

Not at all. We've had one person working full-time since July, and before that Kaburke worked part-time (to the tune of small amounts of hours a week). I have no idea how much time Timeslip et al put in to creating OBMM, so can't comment. We're talking about a program that was made over the course of many years by many people. NMM, in retrospect, hasn't even been released for 12 months yet. What I do know is that NMM is a completely reworked OBMM. Kaburke didn't just take code from OBMM to make NMM; he rebuilt NMM from the ground up using what he'd learnt from working on OBMM when he took over from Timeslip.

You're wondering why NMM isn't as good as OBMM, in your opinion. I'm telling you the reason is because it takes time and it takes money. It takes money because after scouring the community looking for coders I found there really weren't any around to take on a project of NMM's size and scope (bearing in mind we support 8 games in NMM now). Working on NMM is a full-time job. You're wondering how Timeslip did it for free? I'm wondering the same thing.

You should really try looking at the source code for NMM some time and seeing how much there is, and how complex it is. It completely baffles me, so I understand why it takes so much time, effort and money to get right.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that I do find a pain is the difficulty sometimes in logging in to NMM, as happened to me recently when I reinstalled on my new rig. I know fine that I was using the correct password and username that I use on the Nexus sites and I even typed them on a text document and pasted them, but I literally had to uninstall and reinstall about half a dozen times before it would have it. But oddly enough, it did not happen after the updates to NMM that have happened since my reinstall. I do have a dynamic IP and whether that causes problems I don't know (some random "improvement" that BT seem to have foisted on me, my IP address was always constant until recently when GW2 has been demanding that I authenticate self due to logging in from a different IP), but yet another reason to kick the online requirement into touch. Maybe NMM doesn't always recognise me either, although I can always log into Nexus without issue.

Is this a problem that happened before 0.30.2 or is this a problem you've had happen since installing the latest version? There were issues in the past with the login system, but I think it might have been when servers were down or overloaded but NMM was just saying there was a login problem which people took to mean "the site isn't recognising my username/password" rather than "the site isn't working". Obviously this was a problem with both the error report and also the servers. If the error had said "The login servers are down right now, please try again later" I think things might have been very different!

It happened before 30.2, I can tell you exactly what day I reinstalled Skyrim and started trying to install NMM, it was 26th September, that should pin down which version. Seems to be sound now as I said. But yes it is sometimes frustrating when error messages tell you your login isn't recognised rather than that the login servers are down, and it doesn't just happen to NMM. GW2 was terrible for that when it launched.

I happened to have an old version of the NMM working on my laptop, but I can confirm that it's irrelevant.

The download speeds appear to be capped on the server-side, so there is no reason not to upgrade the client.

Edited by Vhalidictes

first off all plz forgive my grammer that said ty nex for all ur doing for us but i agree that the download speeds are differnt but i dont get that many cant download this mod ne more so it is a trade off and yes i can see asking for support but ppl love a conflict but i have to ask is there going to be a way for nnm to find the mod conflicts or like boss load order thing ?

ty u guys for all ur hard work

Aren't updates to programs supposed to be improvements?

Now we get online only, slower download speeds and the biggest kick in the balls, an advert suggesting if we pay we can have it back to normal speeds,

This is not how you should treat your members, with a pay to get your normal speed back.

I appreciate that running the site and servers needs money but dicking the people you get your revenue from is suicidal.

I would suggest other avenues to get cash flowing.

I have found the this current build to be faster booting and faster downloading than previous versions. I have not had a single file that refuses to download with this build as was the case in rare circumstances with previous ones.

I can't speak to the download rate for normal users as I have been a premium member for many years now, but I do recall when I was a normal member my download rate never exceeded 200kb/s so I would consider anything above that gravy. I don't think that having a premium upgrade button in the manager is too heavy handed, as long as it is not too obtrusive all you have to do is ignore it.

As far as future functionality goes I would like to see a feature added to sort mods manually. I think it would be nice to be able to put mods into categories, like overhaul or texture replacer, and view them form a drop down menu from those categories. An option to manually select a mod's category (or create a category) might be the way to go as it would give the user to ability to sort their files in a way that makes sense to them. This would also reduce the clutter of viewing dozens of mods in alphabetical order in the manager.

Edited by ignusalpha

Aren't updates to programs supposed to be improvements?

Now we get online only, slower download speeds and the biggest kick in the balls, an advert suggesting if we pay we can have it back to normal speeds,

This is not how you should treat your members, with a pay to get your normal speed back.

I appreciate that running the site and servers needs money but XXXX the people you get your revenue from is suicidal.

I would suggest other avenues to get cash flowing.

If you are not contributing, you are really more a user than a member. You are getting a free tool to improve your game. How is this unfair to you?