A note to all modders

masternetra

I didn't know where else to place this as its a note to all modders. Please uniquely name your readme files. E.g. SampleMod_Readme, SM_Readme, etc. Why because your mod isn't the only mod in existence for the game and odds are its not going to be the only one. And no os will do a series of the same named file in the same folder, it can't. Ultimately it will force the downloader to either rename itself, replace the current existing readme file, or ignore the file altogether.

For Mod mangers like the Nexus Mod Manager it will simply give you the choice of replacing or ignoring the file when activating a mod. I at times often have to either hunt for the download file and extract the readme of a mod, and rename it, or goodness forbid re-download the entire darn thing (incases where it gets deleted).

Its not asking a lot from modders, but if all modders did this, it would save users quite a headache (especially if they use many mods)

Edited by masternetra

There's been a somewhat heated discussion about this in the Mod Author's forum.

I think most experienced modders try name their ReadMe uniquely, but many have not visited these forums frequently enough to read about this best practise. I can also imagine some modders simply couldn't be bothered.

For users though, when installing with Wrye Bash, it will automatically rename any file called "readme.txt" and place a copy in Data/Docs.

There's been a somewhat heated discussion about this in the Mod Author's forum.

I think most experienced modders try name their ReadMe uniquely, but many have not visited these forums frequently enough to read about this best practise. I can also imagine some modders simply couldn't be bothered.

For users though, when installing with Wrye Bash, it will automatically rename any file called "readme.txt" and place a copy in Data/Docs.

I guess, Its just that its so common...

Edited by masternetra

Huh, I didn't know this movement was a thing. Why do people want the readme named uniquely? I'm not going to go back and change my old readmes, but I can name any new ones uniquely.

I name my mod's readmes as Readme and have done so for as long as I've been modding, which is longer than my "join" date btw. I also do not know how the Nexus Mod Manager handles things nor use it myself, but I'm taking it that it simply dumps the file into your data folder, continents and all. I can see where that would lead to a problem.

NMM needs to be fixed to change that if you ask me. Like an automatic name change. This should be put on NMM's shoulders since this is a mod manager issue and not necessarily an issue with mods/modders.

Huh, I didn't know this movement was a thing. Why do people want the readme named uniquely? I'm not going to go back and change my old readmes, but I can name any new ones uniquely.

Because when you need to read the readme/directions it doesn't exist, or if it is named oddly to the esp file you still can't find it.

I make it a common practice to manually download ALL my mods and organise them in separate folder. This way each uncompressed mod will have it's own folder containing each readme to refer back to and it saves a lot of headache, not just for keeping the readmes but to save any possible confusion with the mod files setup :smile:

I make it a common practice to manually download ALL my mods and organise them in separate folder. This way each uncompressed mod will have it's own folder containing each readme to refer back to and it saves a lot of headache, not just for keeping the readmes but to save any possible confusion with the mod files setup :smile:

Same here Ironman, but I'm also one of those "look under the hood" type mod users. :turned:

Mostly because when installing the mods you often copy the readmes into the folder as well, and if all readmes are name 'readme' they're just going to overwrite each other.

Ah, I generally set up organized, numbered folder trees with several manual restore points and a backed up vanilla install in case something goes wrong. I don't generally plan on people just pasting the whole folder and shoving the zipped file into a recycle bin, but I guess I'd better make it more user-friendly. Eventually, when I stop being so dead. Edited by Rennn