The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

I doubt that Nexus's ad revenue can be called 'little', and both the existence of adblockers and the comparative low number of Premium members (if the cited number of over 100k can be called low) will have been taken into account when the decision was made to invest in more full-time staff and an office. I'm not informed of the rationale behind the UI change, but I doubt it will have much to do with users suddenly driving up costs. For the past year and a half, there've been fewer downloads than in the same period before it, for instance.

What I, personally, am looking for is nothing at all. I haven't downloaded much of anything on Nexus for ages. For what little I do download, I can live with the capped speed, no problem. Even the new nag screen's much less likely to end up bothering me than other users. Which means I have no incentive to buy Premium, other than charity.

It's been said time and again that Nexus isn't a charity itself either, but a business. If a business wants people to pay for its services, the only viable way of doing so in the long term is to make sure you sell an attractive product. In order for a business to sell me a product, it should be more than the lack of an inconvenience that doesn't trouble me to begin with.

Simple as that, no need to bring up that steak nonsense.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of your first statement. You've been here for years by the look of it, and offered up some content yourself, which is hosted here - a bit of symbiosis. I'm sure you've seen the Nexus grow and expand. If you think expansion always = more money in the net, then I don't know what to tell you, other than that's the goal of business but not always the end result. More users would drive up cost for reasons stated a number times previously, and a drop off in traffic would decrease ad revenue as would more and more folk running ad-blockers, right??? Unless I've gone fully roont... Anyway, if you haven't, it's worth at least a gander at where their money goes. I'm no genius, but I have run a small business, and I can safely say that costs can get incredibly expensive very quickly, and are usually the result of a number of factors... more money, more problems, as they say.

To say your not looking for anything at all may be a bit disingenuous on your part. You've obviously looked for a place to share your mods, use other ones, and to engage in commentary here, no? I can grok that you have no need to take your relationship with this site any further, and agree with your statement about long term customer support being tied to an attractive product. How many users does this site have currently using it - for free? Sorry about the steak nonsense. I can assure you that's all it was meant to be... nonsense that is.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people are free to say that "free users cry loudest" but really thats just bull.

It's actually not "just bull" even if all you consider are responses from free users right here in this very thread. They're the only ones complaining, yet doing nothing to help themselves with the problem.

And before you repeat your story of being unable to afford to pay for stuff above and beyond your internet, if $2 is too big a financial burden to ever consider it, you don't belong on the internet at all because you have obviously got more important things to spend your monthly ISP costs on.

That is an ignorant comment to make.

I can't afford Internet either, as I have no money. Why do I have Internet? Because my dad pays for it and I live with him.

people are free to say that "free users cry loudest" but really thats just bull.

It's actually not "just bull" even if all you consider are responses from free users right here in this very thread. They're the only ones complaining, yet doing nothing to help themselves with the problem.

And before you repeat your story of being unable to afford to pay for stuff above and beyond your internet, if $2 is too big a financial burden to ever consider it, you don't belong on the internet at all because you have obviously got more important things to spend your monthly ISP costs on.

That is an ignorant comment to make.

I can't afford Internet either, as I have no money. Why do I have Internet? Because my dad pays for it and I live with him.

So? Continue using the damn site as is.

The only free thing free users and supporters are complaining about is the free redirecting web page that is unnecessary and dumb. removing that would be a start to get the majority of the complaints to stop.

It's not like you have to pay to access the mods.

Free users get everything the paying users get, except fast download speeds.

What if Free users couldn't post to the forums, or download mods?

Nexus is allowing you to have access to all of that WITHOUT paying, and you STILL find something to complain about.

Try going to any major newspaper site now. You either get to read about six articles a month for free, after that, when you click on a news story, a popup blocks the entire screen and tells you if you want to continue reading, you need to subscribe.

At least free users here get access to EVERYTHING, while Nexus continues to compromise, such as increasing the download cap speed in good faith to the free users, but all they do is complain anyway.

Imagine if Nexus switched to something like that.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth

Ummmmm....there's the supporter sections of the boards. Where different rules apply.

But those are kinda easy to forget about, so I won't hold it against ya, if they slipped your mind :wink:

Yeah, those newspaper feeds are bad. I get tons of them on my yahoo (sheesh! I meant Google!) page on my phone, and they have those set limits that you're taking about. Tho, truth be told, newspapers are just like payphones. In today's age, where almost everything is electronic, their IRL physical assets are pretty outdated.

Pasquale - I totally misread your post about payroll. Huge apologies! It looks like we were both trying to make the same point, on that one.

Edited by StormWolf01

I’m sorry that is harsh (I know your situation, i was there too)

Continue would imply that I can use it as I have in the past.

There is a new download redirect. I dislike this.

Its okay but you must understand that something must change. So that people who cannot pay for premium still can use the Nexus.

I started recently modding in sims 4. All mods are scattered al over the internet (Patreon, Blogs) I am so glad that the nexus exists. (And no, Bethasda.net is not an alternative if you want to play your game in your language)

I really like that donut paradigm, @fireundubh

Significant amount of energy spent in this thread. Wowee. A few things come to mind when I think of this dilemma. I was thinking of posting something longer and perhaps rational, but I find that I dont even care enough any more to bother. This scene has gone down the drain.

I'll say this. I don't think I like the idea of this subject being turned into another "inclusiveness" debate/argument. Getting tired of that angle. But make no mistake, Nexus is a commercial operation. It's not a charity. It's not going to get any better for the free users, pretty much ever.