The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donating to mod authors is worthy and commendable. However, those donations do nothing to help Nexus Mods pay its bills and keep the lights on. I want to help Nexus Mods keep the lights on.

I only donate to mod authors because mods can exist without Nexusmods but they cannot exist without mod authors.

Donating to mod authors is worthy and commendable. However, those donations do nothing to help Nexus Mods pay its bills and keep the lights on. I want to help Nexus Mods keep the lights on.

I only donate to mod authors because mods can exist without Nexusmods but they cannot exist without mod authors.

What you say is true. But then it would be like the old days, with mods for 855+ games scattered all over the internet. I like the convenience of one-stop shopping.

What you say is true. But then it would be like the old days, with mods for 855+ games scattered all over the internet. I like the convenience of one-stop shopping.

Very, very true

After recently modding Morrowind, and hunting down mods just through the comment sections alone on the Nexus, led me to about 5 different Morrowind modding sites where I was able to find the mods I used to use that never made it to the Nexus.

I think it's fascinating that a lot of people are saying "this is an objectively bad UI, and it's far worse than the previous version" and the response they get is "but it's free! why would you care if the site is objectively worse than it was a few days ago when it's free? in fact, why aren't you paying them for this?"

I get why the reminders are there. I'm not complaining that they exist. The nexus exists as a business, and my uploads and downloads cost them money they will probably never recoup off of me or my users.

However, replacing the existing download popup with a redirect that requires a secondary click is an objectively bad UI choice. It's annoying to all users - which is actually what you don't want when you're trying to convince them to buy your product - and it's a step down from the old UI. There is no reason the redirect was necessary instead of a popup with the exact same message. If Nexus wants to show people the reminder that they aren't premium users and that there are a number of benefits to premium - fine, do that, but do it in a popup that doesn't require additional clicks, the same way that the download experience worked a few days ago.

Despite several years overhauling the site to make it feel like a website from 2019 instead of 2013, this single change makes it feel like a bad website from 2007.

The main issue I have with the new change is the fact that the feature has been purposely added to inconvenience non-premium users where it hadn't existed before, for at least the nearly 6 years I have been here.

I will admit I have never had, and still don't have, any intention of buying a premium membership. I have never been bothered about the features it offers such as uncapped downloads or how many mods are listed on a page (the only two I actually know of) and modding for me has always been a free hobby that I don't spend money on nor do I wish to ever make any money from it.

Of course I appreciate the site, and that it has running costs, hence why I purchased the supporter tier. But there is no reason that I should have to pay for extra features that I do not want or need just because I am now being inconvenienced by a new feature, or being told I am effectively 'leeching' from the site by paying members.

If the site is struggling with costs, and asked for donations, then I would 100% have contributed and still would if asked, but as it stands I as an end user have no knowledge of the sites profits/losses etc, so if I am happy with the current free service and have no reason to believe the site is struggling on the brink of collapse, why would I pay?

I certainly wouldn't pay because a new inconvenient step in downloading files which emphasizes the fact that I do not pay had been introduced without warning.

Edited by SGTbayk47

This may be true, but to play Devils Advocate for a moment, suppose Nexus does something wildly unpopular and a bunch of people not only decide against paying for Premium, but existing subscribers stop renewing and the site eventually goes under? Those mods "scattered about the internet" will be all you have, though I suspect strongly the real response would be "oh well, there's always bethesda.net".

This may be true, but to play Devils Advocate for a moment, suppose Nexus does something wildly unpopular and a bunch of people not only decide against paying for Premium, but existing subscribers stop renewing and the site eventually goes under? Those mods "scattered about the internet" will be all you have, though I suspect strongly the real response would be "oh well, there's always bethesda.net".

If Nexus Mods did something wildly unpopular, as you describe it, then I would rethink any financial support. If it failed because of bad policies, then I would say, "Sic transit gloria mundi." I would then make a beeline for my batch of "Myst" games, all the while rethinking the meaning of life.

However, all of the current weeping and gnashing of teeth notwithstanding, I do not think Nexus Mods is threatened with a mass exodus anytime soon. I do think some current policies may need to be reconsidered, but I trust Dark0ne and staff to be smart enough to figure that out.

Edited by AugustaCalidia