⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The shaming of non-premium users needs to stop!

I've been using this site for free for years now, but this is about all I have been able to offer the Nexus, a sincere thank you:

"Thanks Nexus, for supplying endless hours of entertainment, community, and art for all of us to enjoy. I've never felt unwelcome, or at financial risk here - well done, and Kudos!"

Sincerely, this OrcSage.

I say that with all the sincerity I can muster, but, I also run an ad-blocker, and probably always will. It's not to be mean spirited, or spiteful to those sites that use ads - objectively, websites need to generate revenue somehow and there is a lot of ad money out there. That said, objectively, people are saturated with ads these days; on their phones - even cold calls - and in every corner of the web - it's incessant. Even running an ad-blocker, I'm still going to see ads everywhere I go, so those businesses that tickle my subconscious will collect some amount of money from me, eventually, I'm sure. I'm sure I've whistled a jingle, not knowing where I heard it, only to see it on an ad on my phone days later - the power of advertising. Your use of ads is nothing personal, neither is my use of an ad-blocker.

Although, these facts alone are not why I still ad-block this site. Simply put, I do it out of habit (lol). When I first stumbled upon this site years ago, on an old Toshiba laptop, using a ridiculously slow connection in a remote part of the world, I could barely navigate the site, let alone download anything. My baked potato of a rig would be almost crippled every time I tried to load your site, due to the ads. Thank goodness for ad-blockers, which made your site navigable then, or I never would have attempted to download and experience the wonderful art modders produce, and that your site hosts. Mods that keep me coming back for more, year after year. It's great when folk can work together to enrich our experiences with, well, stuff. With that, I have always said to myself to stop being a cheap *ss and throw them some money, d*mn it - I suppose that may enter into the realm of "my part" as a user, even though I've tried to contribute in my own small way.

Even though I find this site's new attempt to remind us that this stuff takes money to be tacky and low brow, Nexus, I have to admit that you may have succeeded in shaming me into buying a lifetime subscription, but I have a few questions first. If I do invest in this service, what are the perks? Does it get rid of the extra window that reminds me of the size of my wallet? Can I return to the days of hitting download, being reminded of mod requirements, then onward and downward? Is the Lifetime subscription truly a Lifetime subscription, or is it a "Lifetime" subscription that may change at any given moment - say, after 2 years? Will it truly disable all ads? Will it wash my car, walk my dog, scratch my back, or sing me to sleep? I don't expect the last few for 50 bucks, or whatever the end tally is, but thought I'd ask in case the service comes with extra perks we don't know about, lol.

Paying you guys for all the times I've used this site to make my games replayabIe, as opposed to recyclable, is something I've considered time and time again, and it makes sense for those of us that have a few bucks to do so. Although, it is definitely a tacky move to remind those people that don't have the duckets that their experience could be smoother on this site for a monthly charge - a site that hosts the work of artists who are posting their work for free mind you. If you must use this method to remind us to subscribe, then at the very least consider the above questions (minus the dog walking, although I could use a good back scratching - come to think of it, I haven't been sleeping well either), and most definitely get rid of the extra window if folk end up paying for your service. If I can be assured of those things, through a post or link to info here, or a private message, I'll give ya some money.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugely agree that both as a mod creator and as a free user this update really is going to hurt the site. I don't have money to donate (else I would!!) and my internet connection is quite slow. Having to load a page twice every time I need to download a file (which at least in my games can be multiple times for a single mod) will make things so slow and frustrating. And like other people have posted, it has a really bad taste of piracy sites about it, where Nexus has always been a place for people to freely host their creative work and be supported for it. I don't want this to turn that direction.

Nexus Mods is an enormously expensive enterprise. Advertising its services is essential to staying in business. Instead of complaining, would it not be more helpful to offer some constructive suggestions about how the site should advertise its subscription services while not annoying sensibilities and compromising its revenue stream?

Posted this in the other thread first, but since this is a longer, more long-running thread, reposting it here too;

This is insanity, and it makes me want to stop using Nexus period. Ran into this today and first off, it confused the hell out of me when a simple texture replacement mod that listed zero requirements gave me a pop-up message saying;

Additional files required

This mod requires one or more additional files in order to work properly.

Please ensure you have these files installed properly before attempting to use this file.

That is misleading af, because no, the file I was downloading did not require an additional file, it just required me to click through to the 'slow or fast' download page.

Secondly, this is insanity. I love this site, have used it for years, and would dearly like to continue using it for more years to come, but if I'm going to get this pop-up and reroute to load a whole different webpage every single time I go to download a single file.... It's just not worth it. It was annoying and frustrating just to download two files from this one mod, having to reload the same Files page multiple times because it rerouted me to another page for each individual file. (Which, really, kind of defeats the purpose of having a single files page with all the files on it, if you're going to route me away from that single page and make me have to go back to it multiple times.) But if it's that frustrating, annoying, and redundant when I'm downloading a single mod.... How bad is it going to be on days when I'm modding a game from scratch, and will likely be downloading dozens or more mods at once?

I'm a supporter of Nexus for a reason, because I understand that there needs to be money incoming to help keep Nexus going. I have absolutely no problem with the download cap and other restrictions of being a non-premium member. But I can't afford to be a premium user all the time, because I'm disabled and have been jobless for over three years now as I fight to get what (very little, very little) disability benefits I qualify for in order to survive. I don't need it shoved in my face every damn time I download a file that I'm not a premium member and that that option is available to me.

What do you premium white knights have to say for yourselves now? Now even you can't download in peace. STOP SUPPORTING PRACTICES THAT ARE AGAINST YOU. You're making things worse for yourselves and everyone else. Have you not seen what the GPU market has become? 1000 dollars for a 2080 Ti or buy a cheaper card and risk running out of VRAM with only 8GB.

I have read your ignorant and hate-filled comments and guess what? I won't back down. It's not my fault you lack any sense of morals, ethics or principles and quickly fall for the whole "invent a problem then charge for the solution" trap companies lay out for you.

If you feel some type of way because some of us don't want to support a monopoly like Nexus then that's a you problem. I won't hold my tongue for no one. If that means facing the banhammer don't expect me beg for mercy or submit and fall in line. I'll die with my dignity intact,

Edited by IfItsOnPCItsNotExclusive

Nexus Mods is an enormously expensive enterprise. Advertising its services is essential to staying in business. Instead of complaining, would it not be more helpful to offer some constructive suggestions about how the site should advertise its subscription services while not annoying sensibilities and compromising its revenue stream?

The banner at the top of every single download page seemed to get the job of advertising done just fine.

I get that it's expensive, but this is also the kind of thing I expected not to get when I paid for supporter tier.

I also don't expect to have to go through this nag-screen for every single download, mod-manager or not. It's tedious, annoying, and if anything, it puts me off premium even more than it was before.