ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Missing Steam Overlay when Launching F4SE through Vortex

WinterRanger97
Go to solution Solved by WinterRanger97,

Except the Steam Overlay DOES work with Fallout 4. I can boot Fallout 4 from Steam and be able to play the game and access the Overlay with zero issues. It is only, and I can't stress this enough, ONLY when I launch through Vortex that the overlay does not work.

Furthermore, I tested if the Steam beta might be the issue, since I'm opted into it. Changing to the stable release of Steam had no effect.

Thank you for the links, and trying to help, but this seems to be a Vortex exclusive issue.

No prob, I'm just sorry that none of that worked out for helping with your problem. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Consider this topic closed. I've figured out the issue.

When I changed the Steam.exe program to no longer run as admin, I forgot the SteamOverlayUI.exe. Changed that, and the overlay now works. So, in case anyone else has this issue, make sure Steam, the Overlay, AND Vortex are all running with the same elevation. Either run them all as admin (ignoring Vortex's warning), or run them all as standard.

You may now all publicly mock me for my stupid mistake. Thanks to those who tried to help.

When I changed the Steam.exe program to no longer run as admin, I forgot the SteamOverlayUI.exe. Changed that, and the overlay now works. So, in case anyone else has this issue, make sure Steam, the Overlay, AND Vortex are all running with the same elevation. Either run them all as admin (ignoring Vortex's warning), or run them all as standard.

You may now all publicly mock me for my stupid mistake. Thanks to those who tried to help.

I'm not going to mock you.

I'm going to THANK YOU, for coming back and telling everybody what the exact problem was.

Not everybody does that, and instead will come back and say "NVM, fixed it" and that's the last you see of them.

So, I appreciate you coming back and letting everybody know what the problem was, and I'm sure people in the future, with the same problem, will be thankful too.

*The only thing I will warn against, is running Vortex as Admin and ignoring the warning

I locked myself out of Vortex' files until I took ownership of the folders it accesses.

I'm not going to mock you.

I'm going to THANK YOU, for coming back and telling everybody what the exact problem was.

Not everybody does that, and instead will come back and say "NVM, fixed it" and that's the last you see of them.

So, I appreciate you coming back and letting everybody know what the problem was, and I'm sure people in the future, with the same problem, will be thankful too.

*The only thing I will warn against, is running Vortex as Admin and ignoring the warning

I locked myself out of Vortex' files until I took ownership of the folders it accesses.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Running anything in Admin mode is dangerous if you don't understand it. It'd be nice if certain Steam games weren't so thoroughly broken as to require Steam running in Admin mode in the first place, but that's neither here nor there.