CTD whenever game saves [modded game]

nbucilini

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, I don't know that it *is* a LOD issue. And the fact is, I'm not an expert with all the answer. I'm simply telling you that there are many different things you need to look at in your installation in order to find, and possibly resolve the issues you're experiencing. One of those, and only one of those, is the amount of environment you are using normally, ie. the richness of your interior and.or exterior detail. I spied one of Jim's photos (I think it was yours Jim...afaik it was RIverwood)...I don't use nearly that much detail, because if I did, with my limited knowledge of configuring gaming systems, it would almost surely crash and burn.

But there are other things that can cause the game to become unstable, as I noted before.

My own opinion would be, if the game is crashing left and right, maybe it's time for me to back up many steps until I find a stable configuration and then SLOWLY add things back in, and test at every stage. Tedious, but effective. By that, I mean uninstall as many mods as necessary, starting from the last installed and working backward along that line, until the game becomes consistently playable.

It's exactly what I had to do last June after the 1.5.80 update came around. In addition to uninstalling around 40 or 50 mods, (as well as updating those needed to comply with the new SKSE) , I had to step back around 40 levels to find a save that could be used for that character.

In the meantime, I actually created a new character in order to keep some level of gameplay momentum going. So now I have a level 57 female (my original character that fell from level 52 to level 16 in order to find a stable save...after I'd made my mod changes) ,and a level 49 male character that was started from level 1 and that damnably slow ride into Helgen.

You may read this and say "that's absolutely unacceptable!", to which I'd simply have to shrug and say "sorry, i tried to help", and leave it at that.

Yeah,. it ticked me off too. But you know what/ After all the wailing and shouting at the gods for my misfortune (figuratively) I actually enjoyed the time spent on the new character. Same profile (except gender), same target for growth (ie, they're both jacks of all trades but focused on single handed sword play, sneak, smithing, magickry, and enchanting) but he's somehow taken a different vector. She started off being hounded by dragons and vampires and cultists incessantly. He ...well he simply didn't. He's a much more powerful smith (even though they're both level 100 in that) she's much better at enchanting (even though they're both level 100), she's always gotten higher level goodies from chests and so forth nad for whatever reason is a more powerful mage even though they're well matched on paper there. idk. Personally, I've enjoyed that. (although I'll freely admit I enjoy my camera view behind her far more than him...)

So enough of my banal pontificating. I'd recommend that you review this whole thread, write down (figuratively) the various potential contentions and bits of advise Jim and I have offered, do your homework and review your mods to see if their "posts" pages or description or dependency tabs note any obvious contentions or similar, target them where you can, use the wider net for searches outside Nexus for additional troubleshooting tips and potential solutions see if that solves your issues, if it doesn't, well....maybe do as I did and take a few steps back. Although it's frustrating, it's not so bad really. it's only a game.

Best wishes.

I've been able to get it a point that I can mostly play the game and save somewhat well, but crashes still happen when I save occasionally.

That *might be as good as it gets. I also occasionally get CTDs, when walking around, when entering into battle, when changing cells, or even when saving the game, and afaik, Jim said he does too (some of those anyway). I suspect most of us crash and burn sometimes.

FWIW, the cell changing crashes can be mitigated (in my experience)by adjusting the setting I noted before (the one that had a value of 36000 in my game...erm.... fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS) although you might not need such a large pause as I opted for to avoid them. it's not a guarantor, but changing that value did make it happen far less often when changing from one resource-rich area to another (like when going to or coming back from Solstheim, some "rich" dungeons, caves, etc). I'd say, at least for me and my game (I run around 250 mods btw), it dropped the occurrence of cell-change CTDs significantly. And on the value I chose, it was a desperate number even before June when I was a complete newb that I've never bothered to tune or optimize in any way, so it probably doesn't need to be so drastic to provide protection.

I've been able to get it a point that I can mostly play the game and save somewhat well, but crashes still happen when I save occasionally.

That *might be as good as it gets. I also occasionally get CTDs, when walking around, when entering into battle, when changing cells, or even when saving the game, and afaik, Jim said he does too (some of those anyway). I suspect most of us crash and burn sometimes.

FWIW, the cell changing crashes can be mitigated (in my experience)by adjusting the setting I noted before (the one that had a value of 36000 in my game...erm.... fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS) although you might not need such a large pause as I opted for to avoid them. it's not a guarantor, but changing that value did make it happen far less often when changing from one resource-rich area to another (like when going to or coming back from Solstheim, some "rich" dungeons, caves, etc). I'd say, at least for me and my game (I run around 250 mods btw), it dropped the occurrence of cell-change CTDs significantly. And on the value I chose, it was a desperate number even before June when I was a complete newb that I've never bothered to tune or optimize in any way, so it probably doesn't need to be so drastic to provide protection.

What number would you suggest for me? I play on a mid-tier laptop