BLOG PIECE: Nexus moderation system overhaul, etiquette and ethos

Dark0ne

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern is the same as Chesko's. Not every comment we'd want to hide is going to be a rule-breaker. Like him, I have people who post comments with obviously false information, and like him, I find managing this becomes a huge chore and that it doesn't do any good to say that such reports are false because someone else will simply come along and post the same thing once the page scrolls away.

I think allowing a mod author to provide a reason why they're hiding a comment for the moderator to understand might help in this. For example, it might not be obvious from the content of the hidden post that the same question has been asked 100 other times in the same thread, and the user was just being lazy and not reading. Similarly, times when you've already told the user the answer and they're being difficult, repeatedly asking the same questions. And so on. I'll see if I can wrench that in to the system.

I'll tell you MY issue with the Terms of Conditions, It is W.A.Y to L.O.N.G and It'll take me hours upon hours to read all that and normally when i do get about 15% through it I'll be so tired from reading I'll fall asleep. Seriously my god, just be respectfully moral too every one and don't do any copy right faults...Whats so hard about that?. I never read these TOO LONG TO READ terms of conditions and yes it WILL be my FAULT, however i can care less about that since i am very respectful of others and morally will not violate the terms given. However, i applaud the effort of making such a seriously outstanding complex terms of conditions.

Another suggestion that I passed by Dante and he was coincidentally thinking the same thing: Don't group account closures in with bans. Just seeing "BANNED" makes it sound punitive. At first way back when, I thought "BANNED by request" meant that someone was being a pain and sardonically saying "Just ban me then ya jackboots" and then you obliging them. Something like "ACCOUNT CLOSED".

I have a user who leaves comments in my threads that ask for help with another modder's stuff. I reply to comments regularly, so this user asks me for help with stuff that isn't even mine, because I'm more responsive.

I don't actually mind giving the help, but I think it's confusing for people who are using my mods to find all this stuff about how to use other mods in those threads.

I don't think these comments belong in the threads about my mods, but I don't think they're rule-breaking comments, either. So, what's the policy on this kind of thing?

I am glad this is being done, one of my issues here has always been the instant ban do to critcisim on uploads, I understand the fine line, but people have been banned in the past for saying a somewhat snide comment because they did it in the "no tolerance" forum.

I would also just like to see more respects on all sides, a community function only when everyone is treated with respect otherwise discontent grows.

Edited by elderago

Quote: "Great to see that the Nexus sites are still maintaining their high standards of etiquette!

The mods were what drove me to this place, but the friendly and troll-free atmosphere is what makes me stay" He said it perfectly

Edited by oldtrk

I have a user who leaves comments in my threads that ask for help with another modder's stuff. I reply to comments regularly, so this user asks me for help with stuff that isn't even mine, because I'm more responsive.

I don't actually mind giving the help, but I think it's confusing for people who are using my mods to find all this stuff about how to use other mods in those threads.

I don't think these comments belong in the threads about my mods, but I don't think they're rule-breaking comments, either. So, what's the policy on this kind of thing?

Tell the member that you aren't going to let your mod's thread be hijacked by issues concerning other mods. Feel free to direct them to the appropriate mod's comments if you know it.

If they choose to ignore you, Report them as you might any other misuse of the site resources. Upon receipt of the Report, we'll evaluate the situation. In the past we'd probably have sent a PM to the offender. Now it might be an "Informal Warning". :thumbsup: