BLOG PIECE: Nexus moderation system overhaul, etiquette and ethos

Dark0ne

I'm not a member of many communities, even professionally, because 80 % of comments on the Internet are trash - it's so easy to act "badass" if you face is hidden behind an avatar and your identity behind a screen name, and I am generally appalled by cowardness. Plain stupid, I do not mind, you cannot really blame anyone for not being exactly bright, but insults or abuse do reveal characters, and I often wish these 'trolls', as you call them, were bright enough to realize the first person they truly hurt with their attitudes are themselves. I wish they could understand that what they are doing is simply stating publicly "I'm a moron and a coward"...

And one of the reasons I love the Nexus so much is that you are doing a fantastic job at moderating. The result is a very clean and friendly website, where you feel you are among 4.7 million nice people. The other side of this mirror, which you moderators see, is probably a little uglier than that. But what matters is what you make of it. And what you make of it is a fantastic breath of fresh air on the Internet. You have my complete gratitude and admiration for that.

Edited by Hoamaii

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a very well thought out system.

My only concern is the same as Chesko's. Not every comment we'd want to hide is going to be a rule-breaker. Like him, I have people who post comments with obviously false information, and like him, I find managing this becomes a huge chore and that it doesn't do any good to say that such reports are false because someone else will simply come along and post the same thing once the page scrolls away.

Might be something to consider, although as I've argued elsewhere, being able to simply delete these sorts of posts would be that much better. I really think that the vast majority of mod authors can be trusted to do so properly.

hmm, long, too long and too harsh blog article here. you're shooting against steam ? your actions for everything here reminds me on germany....i hope you dont run your site into the ground of thoose restrictions.

anyway, good work and good luck in the future

@hector530 "read?! lol you overestimate the majority of the internet we read NOTHING and complain about EVERYTHING."

I just want to say, this is one of the greatest quotes of all time. Seriously.

On topic, sounds like a great moderation system. This is a huge part of the reason I consistently use the Nexus for all of my mods. Your moderation is incredibly well-kept for such an expansive site. Even more than that, you continue to inform your users about all the big changes, which is something I barely ever see, and definitely not on a site as huge as the Nexus. Well done.

I read a post the other day right on the front page that basically said that stealing content from other modders is not a "legal" issue, and that anything put up on the internet is fair game. This got an eye-brow raise out of me. I wonder how that person got through highschool... or maybe he/she didn't, seeing as he/she doesn't understand the crime called plagiarism. I'm betting he copied his school papers from the internet, and perhaps even got expelled for it.

Plagiarism isn't a crime, it's a moral issue. It's against school rules, of course, but there is nothing illegal about plagiarism in itself. Of course, if the thing being plagiarized is copyrighted, then you can run into copyright infringement, which is illegal. I imagine the post you read was probably implying that stealing content from modders was the same sort of issue. Though, I don't know how correct they would be in that assertion.

Everything that is published is copyrighted automatically - that includes this post as well as any mods posted. If you read the rules you will find that you agreed to this:

The posting of copyrighted material, unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material, is strictly prohibited on any Nexus site. This includes linking to sites that contain copyrighted material used without permission of the copyright holder. Legal inquiries regarding copyright infringement are taken very seriously on Nexus sites and we will work with any legal body to identify and bring to justice anyone who might use a Nexus site to share copyrighted material.

In plain English it says don't plagiarize (Don't post copyrighted stuff without permission.) :thumbsup:

And This:

User-generated content and the rights to removal

You remain the sole owner of any content you have personally created and uploaded to a Nexus site. You remain solely responsible for the content you upload to a Nexus site and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this site, and any related websites. We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) to authorities in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you, and any information sent either private or public can be made available to any admins, staff or enforcement agencies at any time.

We have the right to remove any content we deem objectionable at any time and without warning or reason.

By uploading and/or posting content to a Nexus site you agree to allow administrators of the site to store and present the content whenever and where ever the administrators deem necessary until such time as a request is received by the original uploader/poster for the content to be removed. Removal of content is a manual process, however, so please realise that we may not be able to remove or edit content immediately.

You only retain the rights to content you have created and uploaded to a Nexus site. You do not own the rights to content not posted by yourself that might have been created as a result of your content being available on any Nexus site, including, but not limited to, ratings, comments, images created by other users, articles in regards to your content and any statistical information in regards to your content.

This says you agree to be responsible for anything you post, and to allow the Staff of the Nexus to use whatever you post in the forums in any way we deem necessary. - Unless and until you request that it be removed, I know of NO other site that allows you to request removal of something you posted. And we WILL remove it if you request. :biggrin:

i love your solutions to the problems that have arisen in the past.

now heres hoping for more.

maybe a live chat for each mod?

or maybe a youtube-like commentboard, where replies are linked to original comments?

what about leaving comments for hidden mods?

so mod makers can tell us why its hidden? (or does new system fix that?)