BLOG PIECE: Kickstarter and the mini-revolution

Dark0ne

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, I want to convey my deepest thanks to you for opening my eyes to the brilliance that is Sui Generis.

I think someone should alert the developers of this game of Steam Greenlight. I'm not sure if Valve would be helpful here, but judging by how awesome of a company Valve is, I have the feeling they would help if the community demanded it.

Just my thoughts, thanks again!

I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you Dark0ne, X3: Reunion, Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude and X:Rebirth on the way (quickie link: EgoSoft)

For space sims you can't get bigger or better, with a massive modding community that rivals this one!!!

Edited by berticus0001

Great article :)

Maybe it doesn't have the right to be included in the "Space sims" category, but I've always thought how great Mass Effect would have been with mods...the universe is inmerse, well done and very original. I still remember the thrill I had while exploring unknown locations in ME1, under than incredible ambientation and music. Even thought the scenarios were pretty repetitive, the atmosphere remained pretty much the same, at least for me.

IMO, a mix of an 1st/3rd person shooter with the quality of ME (or even better) along with a full space-sim in an open universe like Star Citizen would be just incredible. And if you also add custom procedural planetary bases (with a size of at least 96 kbs...I suggest you play that little game, it's surprising :) ), and a friendly way to create them...it'd be just Godlike.

Bobonator, im pretty sure Sui Generis is already on steam greenlight. Project Eternity was my first kickstarter, but not my last. Looking forward to the Nexus evolving into a game generating collaborator.

I'll be honest, i skimmed it, I have a minor case of plague so my focus isn't all that great right now.

Here are my thoughts on Kickstarter.

While Kickstarter is an inherently risky venture with no guarantees, it does open up oppurtunities for people to make some cool things, when it comes to gaming, kickstarter is great for niche products that may not have mass appeal but are exactly what a small to moderate chunk of gamers have wet dreams about. Overall I'd say Kickstarter is a good thing, provided the backers think very carefully about what they pledge money to.

As for the Nexus supporting these Kickstarted games, sounds great. The Nexus community is huge and we all share a passion for games and mods, directing this community to support these games could do some good for the game in question and help keep the game relevant for longer. If Skyrim had no mod support, I seriously doubt it would be played by this many people a year after release, I think this community and other mod communities play a big part in that, as mods can ensure new experiences in a game you've already played a ton. I ahve about 900 hours logged according to Steam and I've still not done everything there is to do in the vanilla game. When adding mods into the mix, I can see myself playing for several hundred hours more. The Nexus kept me playing Morrowind consistently for years, in short, it has lengthened the lifespan of several games by a signifigant amount and that is a very good thing.

I can't believe I'm pointing this out to you Dark0ne, X3: Reunion, Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude and X:Rebirth on the way (quickie link: EgoSoft)

For space sims you can't get bigger or better, with a massive modding community that rivals this one!!!

Very true. I wrote this article in a half-daze, really wasn't feeling too well yesterday, so I'm going to attribute this oversight to my health issues!

@xng, easy Faster Than Light. Started by bascily 2 guys.

Asked for only 10k, got 200k, and it is one of the best games I have playd in a while. There has been such lacking ammount of rogue-games its sad.

Great Game, cant stop playing it, and well worth the couple bucks I was able to pledge.