Mod Manager / 4 games, include Oblivion

Deleted48339873User

i play Fallout 4 from the day it released, so now i use Nexus Mod Manager Community edition

------ --------- --------- -------- --------- --------- --------

Because this year i play for the first time 4 other games, i just want to know, what download manager i must use

Fallout 3

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim (no the special edition)

Oblivion

Different mod manager for every game (NMM CE, must be out)

if someone play for many years, those 4 games above, please tell me.

a link is going to help me more. Thanks.

Basically every mod manager can be used for this, so it's only a personal choice. But it's important to keep in mind there's "many" mods with a packaging structure one, more or all managers won't understand, which will then need re-structuring first. This game and its modding existed long before managers were a thing, so many releases were never designed to work with any kind of manager in mind.

This is no rocket science though, if you know what you're doing, understand how modding the game manually works, where which folder usually goes, what folders mustn't be inside a mod for a manager to understand it, and some of the expectations and/or weaknesses of each individual mod manager there is. And if a particular mod is giving you trouble, there's still its own manual install instructions. As manual was the only way there was for a long time, most mods for this game have very comprehensive manual install instructions, which just have to be performed into a temporary folder instead of the game to create a package the managers will understand.

When the NMM was still the primary manager supported by Nexusmods, I set out to install and manage all mods I used through it, so I will have the utmost amount of knowledge from using it myself for future usage questions or help requests.

Nowadays I'm using BAIN in my own game, which has a very straightforward approach to modular installs. Soon I will likely switch to using Vortex as well, for the exact same reason, but as of right now my list of mods is too complex and finicky for me to switch managers again wholesale.

But I can make it all work, no matter which manager or mods I choose.

And no, actually all managers will have zero trouble with the most simple type of packaging structure. As long as there's no Data folder inside the archive but only the folders from inside Data, and no options or choices, so you can extract the archive 1:1 into your Data folder and it'll work, then "every" manager I know of will be able to install it. The Oblivion Mod Manager doesn't only understand OMODs, Wrye Bash doesn't only understand BAINs, The Nexus Mod Manager, and most likely Vortex, too, won't have any problem with these most basic packaging structures either. It's only when packaging structure differs from the most basic one that you'll have to restructure them or introduce programmatic install instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never figured out how to install Oblivion mods with BAIN or that antique one. I've had to use either NMM or manual installation. BAIN and that antique manager came out before anyone knew how to make tutorial videos or write clear concise instructions. Wasted time trying to google it,

The community supported version of NMM works well for Bethesda games from Fallout 3 to the present.

BAIN is like the automated manual install.

Every BAIN ready archive is structured in a simple scheme of 1 main and 0 or more optional manual install folders, each ready to be copied 1:1 into the Data folder.

The automated part comes from labeling these folders with appropriate numbers, so you can have the same numbers for mutual exclusive options and different numbers for additional optional choices. In the Bash Installer you can then later construct your complete install from picking and choosing 1 or none from each number, and they will be copied into your Data folder from the lowest to the highest, so higher numbers can also overwrite lower.

You can basically create every combination of features you like that way, simply by splitting all features apart and putting them into manual-install-ready folders each.

Thus "automated manual install".