Dune, the movie or mini-series

Stampede

Which one did you like more?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you like more?

• David Lynch's Dune
    • Dune-The Mini-Series

My all time favourite movie is David Lynch's Dune, I've read the books so I know the mini-series is closer to the story, but I mean c'mon, I'm a Dune fan and I could'nt bear to watch the series, mainly because of those costumes, the Sardaukar were reduced to renaissance type fops!

The sheer style and grandeur of the original movie blew me away, from the victorian themed emperor's palace which was combined with the chilling ferocity that were the black clad sardaukar to the deep green spotless uniforms of the House Atreideis (not sure of spelling, some fan huh? haha)

I know I may seem biased in my opinion, but it is just my opinion after all and I'd really like to hear yours! :)

er forgive me but... what's dune? :blink: never heard of it. :P

well ive seen a dune video game but that was some sort of RTS a friend had...

The game your friend had was also Dune, originally it was a series of books and then a movie and then a mini-series, I'll try to summarize it for you Switch:

ahem *clears throat*

Dune is set after the year 10000 pretty far into our future, after countless wars, society itself has been re-structured. Computers and all forms of AI are now taboo. The known universe is now ruled by an emperor (Imagine that title: emperor of the known universe) He's at the top of the heirarchy and keeps it that way with his super troops The Sardaukar, below him are all the Great (and not so great) Houses, who govern their respective planets, with titles of barons and dukes and counts.

Space Travel is possible only by the navigators who are former humans with the ability to fold space, they mutated into these navigators after a lifetime diet of spice. The navigators guild is the ruling power behind the emperor, if the guild wishes it can cut off all communications and travel between the planets, so they have the monopoly on space travel.

Spice is the most valuable substance in the universe and can be only found one planet: Arrakis also known as Dune.

So pre-Dune the movie/novel, Dune was all about the feuds between the great houses over who would have the most sway, with house wars and feuds.

sorry to ramble but thats the shortest I could make it.

The mini-series is good in it's own way, I enjoyed Children of Dune. If you havent seen David Lynch's one you should try to get hold of it, if only for the visuals, the costumes are just so much more in theme.

I hated the hats in the mini-series. :angry:

The Reaper's 2 pointless comments have been classified as SPAM and deleted from this thread. :angry:

Stampede, I couldn't agree more with your first post. David Lynch's Dune is my favourite movie too.

IMO it captures the essence of what is in effect an unfilmable book. The mini series may have followed the novel, but completely missed the point of it.

David Lynch's characters are superbly well cast, and during the movie, so many things are hinted at and implied that they get as close to the way the were portrayed in the book as the constraints of a 3 hour movie allow (the role of Duncan Idaho is somewhat under - developed though).

The sets are awesome - and you can tell so much just from the way the sets look...the different characters of House Atreides and Harkonnen, the power of the guild...the scene where the navigator talks to the emperor just tells you exactly where the real power lies....the way the navigator's container leaves this trail of slime on the palace floor, and the insolent way in which the navigator's entourage turn their back on the emperor....fantastic.

The mini series was a huge disappointment that completely failed to capture the spirit of the books. The series was atrociously miscast...I mean, a gerbil-faced, chipmunk-cheeked Stilgar?!?!?!?!? A water-fat Fremen?? Come on - did those guys actually read the book? The ridiculous Bene Gesserit, the anaemic spoilet brat that was meant to be Paul Atreides...and where the heck did all that stuff about Princess Irulan come from????

Also, the grandiose architecture of the sietch was just so not Dune - when the whole point of Fremen architecture is concealment....they're going to have a carved facade like that?

By that point I switched off.

Haha yes, the 'water-fat' Stilgar is a complaint I've seen before. :lol: and if you've read the book you'll know that Idaho was a sort of dashing adventurer, which you catch a glimpse of in the movie, I would also have liked to have seen more of him, especially his fighting skills.

80's haters will point out that the body shields looked a bit dodgy in the movie, but because I saw it first when I was young, I've never thought so. In my opinion the effects in the movie were a helluva lot better than the plastic CGI that we see so much of these days and know is fake.

I don't know about you Theta, fellow fan, but for me the fall of House Atreides and the attack of the Sardaukar is one of the most dramatic scenes of a battle against unbeatable odds.

And it's the little details, take a look at the navigators eyes and you'll see they are still human with a functioning retina, creepy.

I like both of them. Each has it's own strenghts and weaknesses. I didn't like the wielding way shown in the movie. It was better protrayed in the mini series.

The Stilsuits were also IMO better in mini series. (Covering the entire face, makes more sense).

And your opinion is very welcome Admiral :) , although I preferred the still suits from the movie, the one thing I definitely liked from the mini-series were the air filters the Fremen wore.

But I loved the uniforms of House Harkonnan, those gasmasks looked pretty sinister.

Archived