ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Fight the pandemic by using your computer's idle CPU or GPU

Chiaro22

This isn't excactly a "kick back"-lounge topic, but since there unfortunately happens to be a pandemic ongoing; if your CPU or GPU have any idle time these days, you can donate it's work powers to help Folding at Home fold proteins in the search for a medicine or a vaccine.

Personally I think it's the perfect way to fight the virus for gamers and modders alike. It will draw more electricity, but luckily electricity isn't that expensive during the summer months. All you need to do is download a client and it will fetch and upload small packages automatically when activated.

If you want you can join teams, and I'm not sure if there is a Nexusmods team yet, but we do have an Elder Scrolls Team (team ID 52286), and any new recruits are welcome to join.

You can of course also fold anonymously and without joining any team.

Folding at home:

https://foldingathome.org/

Better explanation from Wikipedia:

"Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project aimed to help scientists develop new therapeutics to a variety of diseases by the means of simulating protein dynamics. This includes the process of protein folding and the movements of proteins, and it's all reliant on the simulations run on the volunteers' personal computers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

The collective power of Folding at home passed the combined power of the top 500 supercomputers of the World in March this year.

Other similar projects:

BOINC (for pc)

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/

DreamLab (for smart phones)

https://www.vodafone.com/about/vodafone-foundation/our-projects/dreamlab-app

Download the DreamLab app from Google Play Store.

Edited by Chiaro22

That real fine Old Idea!

They aren't practical for people with one of those advertised as "Unlimited Plans" from their ISP. You know the UNLIMITED PLAN that you only have 1 GB, 2 GB, 4, 8, 20, or 50 GB a month for Downloading and Uploading stuff off the Internet.

Oh! And, of course, don't forget! For those days when you are feeling your self suffering from the Pandemic (also known as CABIN) FEVER and it starts getting you down. USE that spare PC/Xbox/PS to play video games. Even No Man's Sky is no longer an Online Gamers place. It's still has a lot of good fun flying around and crashing our space ship and zooming through space and flying through WORM HOLES. Worm holes that are a lot bigger then the BACK BONE OF THE INTERNET SERVICE Providers who do what their MOGUL MASTERS and MISTRESSES tell them to do to squeeze more money out of all of the people who just wanted to shop at their favorite online grocery store to deliver up the wheel chair ramp at their disabled veterans home so they could stay@home and have a descent meal.

Best idea I ever got when I thought I would be a better person for doing one of those. I did several actually. BACK WHEN MY INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER was always On FAST AND with NO Throttling. BACK WHEN WE COULD SURF ALL DAY and not see a notice saying, We're Sorry, but you've used up your UNLIMITED plans Gigabyte allowance. Before we could buy spare Gigabytes like we can now.

Suggestion: To all those people who have no throttling on their ISP, use a different computer than your gaming one.

The services you can choose from are so many it is astronomical numbers of people you could be helping at Folding @ Home. They aren't practical for people with one of those advertised as "Unlimited Plans" from their ISP. You know the UNLIMITED that you only have 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 8 20 or 50 GB a month for Downloading and Uploading stuff off the Internet.

And if you leave a computer running long enough in one of those connected constantly to a fancy service to help you get through the Pandemic Times the computer, laptop, home built PC you have will likely have a much shorter life.

DONATE your time to the company by sending them a Nice Check instead Once a Month and save your computer for keeping connected to your family and friends abroad.

Oh! And, of course, don't forget for those days when Pandemic (also known as CABIN) fever gets you down to use that spare PC/Xbox/PS one to play video games.

We need Herd Immunity.

Everything else is a waste of time.

I agree, but we can only get that with a VACCINE, not by sitting back and playing the fiddle while people get sick and die.

Thank you for making it perfectly clear that you don't understand Herd Immunity AT ALL, and that you get your misinformation from people or "news" channels that have no idea what they're talking about.

The people who push for Herd Immunity, never offer to become infected with the virus in order to help out, besides, herd immunity is gotten through vaccinations in order to PREVENT people from getting diseases and viruses etc.

Herd Immunity only works because of VACCINES.

Getting everybody sick with the Virus doesn't develop Herd Immunity, the operative word is IMMUNITY.

If you're allowing everybody to get sick (and die), you're NOT developing Herd Immunity, instead you're sitting back, allowing the population to get sick and die from the pandemic.

Just like people having "Measles Parties", those idiots aren't developing "Herd Immunity", instead, they're just getting everybody sick.

Again, IMMUNITY means not having to have the disease AT ALL

That's not how Herd Immunity works.

It's misinformed people like that, who push for Herd Immunity without understanding a single thing about Viruses, Herd Immunity, and Virology, that get people killed.

Here, maybe this will help...

The TOP Picture shows people who don't understand what Herd Immunity means, and the bottom picture represents what people who understand what Herd Immunity actually means.

People should start listening to Doctors, instead of talking heads on Cable News who have no clue what they're talking about.

Community-Immunity.jpg

I'm so sorry I upset you!

I just want to say, People, if that computer you're using isn't important enough that you use it to keep in touch with your family and friends, across the street and abrood, use it to HELP by running a Corona Virus Application so it will Save the Day.

Don't leave it On if it may end up useless to you when you most need it, because it got overworked and died.