Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, been using the Long War mod now for about a week, and I just can't help but wonder what monkeys could possibly get past pilot training to miss these giant-arsed ships. These things would literally be bigger than buildings, effectively making the statement 'unable to hit the broad side of a barn' a sadly true sentiment. So, I was combing through the config files to see if I could change the aim of interceptors without changing the aim of everything else (i.e. not changing Cinematic's config variable). With failure to see any said variable, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction if anything like what I described exists.

Hey all, been using the Long War mod now for about a week, and I just can't help but wonder what monkeys could possibly get past pilot training to miss these giant-arsed ships. These things would literally be bigger than buildings, effectively making the statement 'unable to hit the broad side of a barn' a sadly true sentiment. So, I was combing through the config files to see if I could change the aim of interceptors without changing the aim of everything else (i.e. not changing Cinematic's config variable). With failure to see any said variable, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction if anything like what I described exists.

Unfortunately the core part of interceptor to-hit values are hard-coded into the hex in various places. Each interceptor weapon has it's own base to-hit value, which is then modified based on the interceptor stance (-15 for defensive, 0 for normal, +15 for aggressive). Additional pilots get +3 to-hit for each kill, up to a max of +30.

Regarding the realism of being able to hit or not. The way things are presenting in the UI, I could see why you'd think that, but the UI really does take a lot of liberties with scale in order to create something that actually has useful icons. Kind of like how most pictoral representations of the solar system grossly oversize the scale of the planets and the sun. Otherwise they'd just be tiny dots at solar system scales.

I kind of think that UFO interceptions are taking place at typical modern engagement ranges, which are usually on the order to 20 to 50 kilometers or more. At those distances if the interceptor and UFO were rendered to scale they'd be the size of a single pixel. And regarding the starting missiles, most of what's going on there has basically nothing to do with the pilot's ability to aim -- it's all about the missions tracking systems vs the target's countermeasures. And presumably the UFOs have decent countermeasures. The only thing the pilots can really do is try and make sure that the range, relative height and relative velocities make for a small enough total deltaV that the missile can reach the target.

Short answer : the presentation is highly abstracted away from what is actually going on. And the to-hit values for interceptions aren't easily moddable via the config files, and are spread around the upks.

wait what about using cinematic mode and then lowering the aim of everyone else? e.g. lower the average aim of all soldiers across the board to compensate for cinematic, so ONLY the interceptors get the aim bonus?

might have to start a new game, dunno.

I guess you'd have to start a new game for cinematic mode anyway so, yea would have to start a new game.

@Amineri

Thanks for the reply, I suppose I forgot how Firaxis likes to mess with representative scales (Civ 3, 4, 5 anyone?). Anyway, after I got the laser cannon, I noticed that it hits a lot more - I suppose I'll have to spend thousands on those things.

@zeppelin1717

I already use that as part of my first Long War game.