Changing Resolutions

Rune

First off let me say that my computer supports up to 1024x786 resolution, that's what my desktop is running on now. Ok, when I try to change to that resolution in Morrowind I get an error saying it won't work. Also, when I try to play the game in 800x600 it works fine except for the world map not shading in areas that I've visited too. I really want to run the game in 1024x786. Any suggestions or help?

well uh thats wierd if ur desktop can handle it...

i suggest reinstalling/patching or something...

other than that, im stumped :blink:

That IS weird... one of the tips to avoiding the dreaded CTD in Morrowind is to run your game at the same res as your desktop.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's related to your video card. Your monitor and video card *both* determine what resolutions you can apply, but I can't imagine a video card that wouldn't support 1024x768... The fact that you are getting the error that that particular res is not supported makes me think your video card is what's choking here...

Do you know what vid card you're using and are the drivers for it up to date? I'm just stabbing in dark with that, but what better reason to check for updated video drivers than the possibility of a better MW experience?

I've reinstalled the game several times and my video card is a TNT2 with updated drivers and I've got the nVidia Detonator installed. I know the game supports a TNT2 card, I would go GeForce but I don't have $200. Bummer.

Okay... now I feel saying with some conviction that your problem stems from your video card. I'm kind of surprised you can even PLAY Morrowind on a TNT2. The TNT2 only supports AGP 4x, has only 32Meg and 300Mhz RAMDAC. Not exactly a hot-rod in the video card race.

No need to drop $200 on a new card either... For about half that, why not look into an Nvidia Ti4200 ... or drop back to an MX440 for even less, about $60. I think you'll be glad you did.

The Nvidia TNT2 may be supported, but that's not saying a lot; and I really doubt anyone is going to get top-notch performance out of MW on such a card.

Another suggestion might be trying a free-trial of a program called "Power Strip" (you can d/l it off of download.com). PS allows you to overclock your video card safely and easily, and if used with a dash of common sense can help you squeeze more performance out of your card. You can try it free for 30 days, and if it works for you, it's only like $30 to buy, if memory serves me.

Archived