Well if that's the case, I should be good to skip a step. FO3 wasn't installed via program files this last time. I installed it directly to Documents through the Steam folder. Everything done this last time was done outside of the program files folder.

So, according to what you're saying, none of the files should have that write protection on them, correct?

open your root C:\ drive in explorer

understand, so you can see the entire tree

scroll down to "USERS" and click on it

but DO NOT go any further just click cancel.

What I am teaching you is your assuming too much. you're NOT out of the woods.

the pop up you see is UAC. now do what I said and start clean. the data is corrupted and of no use you.

your Document folder is deep in side that domain.

Edited by Purr4me

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright.

So where do I begin?

I've been paying attention, so please don't misunderstand me asking that as me not paying attention.

If I have to start over again, I shall, but I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

I can't just start installing without deleting a bunch of stuff to make room first, however, I don't want to delete the wrong thing.

Fallout 3 isn't the only game I have in the Steam folder either and I don't want to sacrifice my other games for this one, so I'd like to avoid having to mess with their individual folders if possible.

Alright.

So where do I begin?

I've been paying attention, so please don't misunderstand me asking that as me not paying attention.

If I have to start over again, I shall, but I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

I can't just start installing without deleting a bunch of stuff to make room first, however, I don't want to delete the wrong thing.

Fallout 3 isn't the only game I have in the Steam folder either and I don't want to sacrifice my other games for this one, so I'd like to avoid having to mess with their individual folders if possible.

Go into steam

select uninstall just fo3

go into the system Program apps section and look for fallout 3and select uninstall it there too.

we can aggrege, you have a small mess to clean up. but if that isn't clear ,I can offer you another alternative to make sure only the games data is remove.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/start-freeware-download-portable/

At best, at least you can get as close as possible a clean uninstall of the data.

the portable product is required because Windows does a horrible job of removing stuff. leaves too many things behind.

So, you need some Power behind you in computing. If steam can launch the game ? Still? make sure it runs first from steam. exit out if it does and uninstall it and verify it's gone.

then check your windows apps uninstaller.

Keep in mind, there are copies of DLC's data hidden. GFWL remover tool has the capability to find things so in using the tools, we find out things. but it's best to leave that one alone.

you do have other games, so you're forced to do things in a logical manner

1. Verify steam runs the game as is
  2. Uninstall the game VIA steam
  3. Verify the games data is gone
  4. remove all remains from My Documents folder/ aka saved games and folders "fallout3" only.

let me know how the clean up goes.

Before I get too hasty with the process and do something I'll regret, is it possible for me to remove the save data and put it say, on a USB stick, then delete any remains from the PC, or would the save data not work with the non-protected version?

anything is possible , how ever? why are you wishing to keep corrupted data?

what's so important you don't want to loose?

Egh, good point. I was gonna say time, but I have to take the time to completely eradicate all this corrupted data anyway.

I think I'm gonna be safe and just delete everything related to Fallout 3, the entire folder, the data for the game outside the Steam folder, every single thing involving FO3.

Egh, good point. I was gonna say time, but I have to take the time to completely eradicate all this corrupted data anyway.

I think I'm gonna be safe and just delete everything related to Fallout 3, the entire folder, the data for the game outside the Steam folder, every single thing involving FO3.

Good , thinking straight ,make sure to follow up on the other products.

I only offer advice that worth it. look at my avatar? my name, see the amount of posts ? I've been here a long time.

click my profile and see what's listed, what MY hobby is.

So , it's important I make sure you end up in a good place---here in a public Domain. capiche

Edited by Purr4me

And I do indeed appreciate the time you're taking to educate me.

Thank you.

One point I must ask about...since the Steam folder WAS in Documents, but has since been relocated directly to C, does this have any bearing whatsoever on this process, or can I keep going?

ok, back a few posts are screen shots, they show a basic lay out of what to look for install during the install process, you need to determine the where and what.

Choose a custom install method as I shown.

if you need more help with it, I can take the time to type it all out but it's really quick, I can say in ten to 15 minutes, you will have a clean running game installed.