Any reasons to turn off autosaves?

Dubnoman

I always see the advice to turn them off, but they've never given me any trouble. They've saved me from having to backtrack to a previous manual save many, many times because I forget to do it once I get really immersed. That would be far more disruptive than whatever problem people imagine they cause.

I have'nt seen any evidence to support or disprove the theory that autosave or quicksave causes problems. There is a lot of advice from people who seem more knowledgeable claiming that it does. STEP, for example recommends disabling autosave as best practice. In fact, they recommend manual saves indoors.

Perhaps the process of saving while transitioning between cells or while in action causes errors or writes incomplete data into the save file. Either way, it's no big hardship to rely on manual saves (unless I forget :facepalm: ).

You don't always see a bad save till it way to late and totally burned into the save. It's a known fact auto saves can create bad saves ... even from the first game. I thought this was common knowledge about Skyrim.

To be fair, nobody bothers looking into the matter until something screws up and they want to find out what. It's only common knowledge among those who suffered ;)

lol, I guess you may be right ... It's like this, your Skyrim save is like card house. You have to take care of it to build it. The console command PCB is your key ... use that and save in a small in-closed area, then reload from time to time. Or at time when you need to split your saves to check out a new path. Always have a master save clean and ready to go.

Edited by Jason2112

So I started a new game on a new computer around January 1st. I'm now up to about 205 manual saves. I've been using autosaves. I should be fine, hopefully it won't lead to problems, but would some of you recommend that I turn off autosaves and just get in the habit of saving more often? Also, would it be okay to save outdoors? I'd hate to really have to try to save in-doors as much as possible.

What kinds of problems do people get with corrupted saves?

• 3 years later...

I have been having a problem where if the game automattically autosaves, my load times go from 7-15 seconds to 15-30+ minutes, the weird thing is that when i manually autosaved, my load times dropped to 1-7 seconds, so i think it's safe to say my game is crazy. I would like to find a solution because i keep forgetting to save manually.

Autosaves can cause ILS, or at least they could before the SKSE RAM tweak, maybe they still can I don't know, I disabled them long before that. Only when autosaving on entering a new cell though, not the other autosave types.

Hating on quicksaves on the other hand is all pure BS, they're no different than normal saves. I've used them forever without any problem.

I really like AutoSave Manager. When I first started playing Skyrim, I asked the experienced players if there was any program similar to the CASM mod I used for my Fallout games. They pointed me to AutoSave Manager and I have used it ever since that time. Es muy Bueno!

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34842/?

There is much misinformation regarding so many items such as saves. Somebody speculates about a topic then it gets passed around until it becomes a well-established gamer's fiction.

Curious topic. 95% of my CTDs, if not more, happen during autosaves and papyrus log doesn't seem to point to a culprit. The funny thing is that the autosaves before CTD work! As in, when you reload, you continue from the point that you would expect.