Any reasons to turn off autosaves?

Dubnoman

I was curious to know, can autosaves ever lead to problems? I was inferring that from something someone wrote on this message board. Of course, autosaves can be really handy, but can autosaves ever lead to problems, perhaps corrupted saves or save game bloat? Since I was wondering about those things, I figured I should ask.

It has long been my understanding that autosaves and quicksaves can result in corrupted saves in Bethesda games. I cant attest to this as I never use either so haven't experienced any problems personally.

Rabbit

I use autosaves fine as well, I dont see why they should be so problematic, I can understand if they save when certain events are happening, but they are designed to avoid that. Surely they just use the same mechanism as a manual save.

I use autosaves and quicksaves. There have been occasions when they have caused the game to crash, but it's been rare for me. Solution: Turn them off temporarily to get past the problem area, then turn them on again. Just to be on the safe side, I use a regular manual save before I shut the game down. I've never had an issue with excessive save bloat, but then I don't run a b(l)oatload of mods either.

In almost 900 hours of playing I've only had autosaves bug out on me once: there was an autosave right before fighting Alduin, I died, the game reloaded to that autosave, and Alduin remained invulnerable when he should have begun taking damage. Every other time it has worked fine, but I would say avoid loading autosaves that occur right before scripted events, because the scripts might not execute properly.

Removing auto saves is a golden trick in Skyrim to stop save corruption. Works very very well. Been rolling that way forever would never go back. Mt Skyrim never CTDs and Never creates bad saves. I could leave it on for days and still never see a CTD.

Very recommended!

You don't always see a bad save till it way to late and totally burned into the save. It's a known fact auto saves can create bad saves ... even from the first game. I thought this was common knowledge about Skyrim.

Edited by Jason2112

You don't always see a bad save till it way to late and totally burned into the save. It's a known fact auto saves can create bad saves ... even from the first game. I thought this was common knowledge about Skyrim.

To be fair, nobody bothers looking into the matter until something screws up and they want to find out what. It's only common knowledge among those who suffered ;)